What's in your sushi deluxe???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
i love sushi. i could eat it every week. in fact, i do eat it just about every week. :pig:

i normally order a 10 or 12 piece sushi deluxe that comes with a roll, and i often get a handroll or other maki on the side.

unfortunately, you can't order a la carte to get the special. the pieces are at the discretion of the chef. some places list what pieces you get; others serve what they have on hand on that particular day.

i was thinking that it would be nice to be able to choose your pieces in the platter.

for me it would be: 2 yellowtail, 2 salmon, 2 shrimp, , 2 white tuna, 1 surf clam, 1 tuna, 1 eel, 1 masago, 1 scallop, 1 octopus, and a tuna roll.
the extra roll would be a salmon skin hand roll.

what would you order in your sushi deluxe platter? what extra rolls do you like?

Your selection sounds delicious BT. I would do without the masago, but only because I do not eat egg. I might replace it with a soft shell crab nigiri.

I like most things at the sushi bar so I prefer to let the chef pick for me. If the tuna is good then that is one of my favorites, but if it is just mediocre then I would happily pass for something that is better quality.

We found an Oriental buffet restaurant that has real sushi; 4-6 different raw fish
selections, and at least 20 other varieties. Good stuff, all you can eat... $10.99.

Can't beat it, since I am a sushi whore and don't care about the fancy stuff, LOL!

I'd add some spicey tuna to my order too
and I love the little orange fish eggs so I'd have a
few pieces with those on them too.

We found an Oriental buffet restaurant that has real sushi; 4-6 different raw fish
selections, and at least 20 other varieties. Good stuff, all you can eat... $10.99.

Can't beat it, since I am a sushi whore and don't care about the fancy stuff, LOL!
We have something similar down the street from my house. The do a lunch buffet and they put out 2 or 3 of those big boats loaded with sushi. The choices are different every day based on what is fresh, but there is always a variety to choose from. is less than $10.99 though. With tip (20%) I leave a little over 10 bucks.

pds, do you mean ikura (salmon), masago (smelt) or tobiko (flying fish) eggs? the masago are the smallest and crunchiest, tobiko just slightly larger, and the big eggs are ikura, which make me gag. :)

i love a good gunkan, or boat style piece of sushi topped with masago. but there's something about the texture of salmon eggs that i cannot stomach. too slimy and chunky.

gb, have you ever tried tamago sushi? i kow that you don't eat eggs, but this is that little yellow block of sweet egg belted with nori on top of the sushi rice. it doesn't taste like eggs at all, nor is the texture anything like it. just curious...

Last edited:
I'm not sure what they are called but they are small and very crunchy. So, maybe the masago. I have some at home. I'll check tonight.

Oops I got confused with masago and tamago.

No I have not tried it. My dislike of egg is so deep that I know that I would not be able to get it down. I almost want to say it is an allergy and not just a dislike, but I know that is not true.

My whole childhood my mom would always try to trick me into eating eggs in one form or another, disguising them in a million different ways. I always knew though. My body would react to their presence. Even if I could not see them. The exception is in baked goods.

Love sushi!!! I can eat sushi every week, too. We order mostly sashimi rather than nigiri but sometimes a good tako, unagi, and ebi are good.

I alway order aji senbei if they have it (fried aji bones, which is Spanish makeral). It probably sounds weird to most people but it's delicious. They will serve the aji sashimi and then fry up the bones as part of the order.

Hamachi hama (grilled yellowtail cheeks) is another dish I love (great way to get your omega oils). As far as a sashimi platter, any fresh fish I would enjoy and typicall order a plate of the daily specials. But these are my favorites: hamachi (yellowtail), sake (salmon), toro (fatty tuna) although chutoro would be even better, aji (of course but will take saba/makeral if it's recommended), and tako (octopus). I love most roes in any form, smelt is not my favorite, though.

There's a roll I always get my local favorite sushi place called the Chronic roll (shrimp tempura, avocado, krab, cucumber topped w/ spicy tuna, tempura crunchies, eel sauce). Delicious! Depending on how hungry we are, we might also order a spicy tuna roll or spicy tuna poke if we've had too much rice.

Oh yeah, I also usually like to order a sunomono (cucumber salad, sometimes with seaweed) but not every place serves this. It's especially good if they add tako to it.

And to top off a nice sushi dinner is a couple of mochi ice cream! :pig:

plumies, the fried bones and the yellowtail cheeks sound amazing!!!

sunomono is another fave. a place next to teterboro airport in joisy serves it as a standard free appy.

i'm not a fan of any spicy fishes; it too powerful for the delicate flavors in the fish, veggies, and rice imo.

have you ever had tako su?

have you ever had tako su?

I've never had tako su, don't recall seeing it on menus. I looked it up and one of the descriptions sounds very similar to the tako sunomono I've had. Recently I tried tako wasabi salad. I wasn't a big fan of it since I don't like a whole lot of wasabi. It was just a bit overwhelming to me.

Boo, now I want some sushi. :pig:

Oh yeah, if you find aji-senbei and/or hamachi kama, give them a try. I think you'll like the hamachi kama.

tako su is probably just short for sunomono. it's octopus marinated in pretty much the same dressing as the cuke sunomono. you'd like it, i'm sure.

ahhhh, now i want sushi.

r-r-re-re-resisting commands of p-p-parasites in stomach...

they've taken over!

I bet that's the tako sunomono that I like to order. Love that stuff.

Funny about the parasites. If I've got them, wish they would help me lose some weight!

Back
Top Bottom