What's leapin' into your cooking pot tonight, Wednesday 2/29/2012?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sauteed tialpia, couscous, and some green, probably broccoli.

Sorry about the layoff. Tough times all around.

WELL on the brightside I will be cooking meals again and taking pictures. :chef:

I'm so sorry to hear your unfortunate news, and wish you the best of luck getting reemployed. I'm glad there's a positive side to your situation.

Close! Julius Caesar was responsible for adding a day to make the harvesting seasons work out better, but his birthday is estimated in July sometime.

I wish he had put leap day at the end of the year rather than so early as it is. It would make calendar keeping easier. We need the leap day somewhere of course because a year is about 365.25 days long and those .25 days add up over centuries and next thing you know summertime is in January.... (northern hemisphere) I wish they'd thought out this calendar thing better and put the solstice on January 1st.

Well my good news is that the only painful part of my dentist visit was paying for it, so I stopped at my favorite Asian market (Vietnamese owned) and got some nice shell-on shrimp and some Jasmine rice...

So dinner will be my Shrimp with Crispy Walnuts in Creamy Sauce version 0.01, the first time I'll have reduced my experimenting to a full meal. The shrimps will have a thin battering, canned pineapple chunks, the sauce is made from mayonnaise, condensed milk and honey or sugar, and I'm shortcutting the crispy walnuts with a package product from Trader Joe's. I'll make my own crispy walnuts next time. I expect it will take several versions before this recipe is ready for prime time.

I'm planning my first trip to Trader Joe's since it opened a couple of weeks ago (to a traffic jam, according to the newspaper). Those crispy walnuts will be the first thing I look for, so you'd better post your recipe. It's about 30 miles from here (our gas is $3.80/gal now) and I want it to be worth the trip.

Best of luck, Rock! Looking forward to your report!

So sorry, MsM. Something will come along. As others have stated, I AM looking forward to your yummy pics again!

We're having Leap Pizza from Papa Murphy's, $4 special!

I kind of cleaned out the refrig, so its pork loin stuffed with a various mishmosh of cheese, portabellas, ham, salami, spices etc.. I hope it turns out well enough.. and since we are under a tornado watch I hope my power doesn't go out before it is done!

Sorry to hear about the layoff msmofet, hope it turns into something better for you somehow.. in the long run.

Rock, your chicken looked beautiful so I'm thinking tonight will be a breeze, good luck to you. :yum:

Last edited:
the love you give is equal to the love you get: to msm and rock-- the way i see it, both of you are due lots of love in your future lives and endeavors.... :)
godspeed!

p.s. i too am thrilled at the prospect of seeing many more of msm's magnificent food photos again. man, have i been sorely missing them.... :)

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the good wishes. I ordered pizza and am drowning my sorrow in some of Trader Joe's AWESOME coffee ice cream and and couple Trader Joe's toasted coconut cookie thins. YUMMY I will worry about the job tomorrow.

I'm planning my first trip to Trader Joe's since it opened a couple of weeks ago (to a traffic jam, according to the newspaper). Those crispy walnuts will be the first thing I look for, so you'd better post your recipe. It's about 30 miles from here (our gas is $3.80/gal now) and I want it to be worth the trip.

I'm so excited for you! I won't recommend every item at TJ's without exception, particularly some of the microwave convenience food (some are good like Mandarin Orange Chicken, BBQ Chicken Teriyaki) while others are yucky). But they've got some really good stuff there, very large selection of wines at reasonable prices, lots of raw and cooked nuts, dried fruits, lots of cheeses... I think they hit a really excellent point of good quality foods at very reasonable prices. It's like a bit less pricey than Whole Foods Market.

If you happen to notice, please tell me the price of their Charles Shaw wines, also known as "Two Buck Chuck" because it's sold by TJ in many states for $1.99/750mL. (Some states like NM it's $2.99.)

We've already discussed crispy walnuts at DC in this topic: Candied/Caramlized Walnuts/Pecans where I found 3-4 methods that I'm sure will work. In that topic I also provided links to two walnut shrimp recipes that lent me some ideas used in forming my own recipe.

Meanwhile I've just shelled and deveined 3/4 pound of shrimp. (Boring but it's good to know to a moral certainty that my shrimps are deveined perfectly. I'm not so sure they always do that at restaurants.) I'm sure glad I'm not on a timetable. It's more fun to complete a few steps preparing to cook dinner, and then get online and read and chat a bit while resting up for the next recipe steps.

The next important step is about 5 p.m. when the chef introduces the wine ("Greg, meet wine!") and begins serious cooking. :)

Last edited:
Leap day meaL

I think eating out on a Leap year is appropriate, so I will be eating dinner at a Pizzeria. Meaty pizza is what am craving :)

Dawgluver said:
We're having Leap Pizza from Papa Murphy's, $4 special!

Drat. I called and PM said it would be an hour and a half before we could get a pizza. DH was already at a nearby grocery store, so we decided on KFC.

We decided to scrounge for supper. At the moment, I'm eating Haagen Dazs rocky road ice cream. I know, not low carb...

It's raining here and I got a phone call from work. I have been laid off. Not quite sure what dinner will be.

So sorry MsM! We know what we've been missing and 'they'll find out what they are missing...you! You are on temporary reassignment to us...and we love it!

Leftover Hamburger Steak w/onion/mushroom Gravy
Mashed Potatoes
Succotash

Regardless of what else is going on with any and all of you, it's good to remember you are well thought of here !!

I hit up the deli, so I made doctored up vinegar cole slaw, doctored up potato salad ( nothing generic about my deli food by the time I get done with it) and as rare as possible thin sliced roast beef sandwich with horse radish sauce on caraway rye for supper.

I'm happy to report that my Shrimp with Crispy Walnuts in Creamy Sauce was a success! I'm already in the vicinity of the same dish at my two favorite Chinese restaurants that serve a similar dish. I under salted it and corrected that in serving. I took detailed notes including weights, volumes and counts so that eventually I can reconstruct from my notes a blog quality recipe.

A 9 oz. cleaned shrimp quantity makes a very happy big serving. :)

I was put off when my favorite Chinese restaurant used mayonnaise and condensed milk in the sauce. That doesn't seem Chinese to me, but it was really good. The sauce is sweetened and I used honey (seems to be a favorite on similar recipes on the Internet).

So this was a good recipe. After cooking it several more times it might even be good enough for prime time! :)

Back
Top Bottom