"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-29-2012, 06:36 PM   #51
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
I'm planning my first trip to Trader Joe's since it opened a couple of weeks ago (to a traffic jam, according to the newspaper). Those crispy walnuts will be the first thing I look for, so you'd better post your recipe. It's about 30 miles from here (our gas is $3.80/gal now) and I want it to be worth the trip.
I'm so excited for you! I won't recommend every item at TJ's without exception, particularly some of the microwave convenience food (some are good like Mandarin Orange Chicken, BBQ Chicken Teriyaki) while others are yucky). But they've got some really good stuff there, very large selection of wines at reasonable prices, lots of raw and cooked nuts, dried fruits, lots of cheeses... I think they hit a really excellent point of good quality foods at very reasonable prices. It's like a bit less pricey than Whole Foods Market.

If you happen to notice, please tell me the price of their Charles Shaw wines, also known as "Two Buck Chuck" because it's sold by TJ in many states for $1.99/750mL. (Some states like NM it's $2.99.)

We've already discussed crispy walnuts at DC in this topic: Candied/Caramlized Walnuts/Pecans where I found 3-4 methods that I'm sure will work. In that topic I also provided links to two walnut shrimp recipes that lent me some ideas used in forming my own recipe.

Meanwhile I've just shelled and deveined 3/4 pound of shrimp. (Boring but it's good to know to a moral certainty that my shrimps are deveined perfectly. I'm not so sure they always do that at restaurants.) I'm sure glad I'm not on a timetable. It's more fun to complete a few steps preparing to cook dinner, and then get online and read and chat a bit while resting up for the next recipe steps.

The next important step is about 5 p.m. when the chef introduces the wine ("Greg, meet wine!") and begins serious cooking.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #52
Assistant Cook

Leap day meaL

I think eating out on a Leap year is appropriate, so I will be eating dinner at a Pizzeria. Meaty pizza is what am craving (:

Old 02-29-2012, 07:09 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver

We're having Leap Pizza from Papa Murphy's, $4 special!
Drat. I called and PM said it would be an hour and a half before we could get a pizza. DH was already at a nearby grocery store, so we decided on KFC.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
We decided to scrounge for supper. At the moment, I'm eating Haagen Dazs rocky road ice cream. I know, not low carb...
Old 02-29-2012, 07:48 PM   #55
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
It's raining here and I got a phone call from work. I have been laid off. Not quite sure what dinner will be.
So sorry MsM! We know what we've been missing and 'they'll find out what they are missing...you! You are on temporary reassignment to us...and we love it!
Old 02-29-2012, 07:56 PM   #56
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
So sorry MsM! We know what we've been missing and 'they'll find out what they are missing...you! You are on temporary reassignment to us...and we love it!
Thank you PF. I will cook tomorrow.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:23 PM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire

had a spinach omelet around three p.m. my days and nights are all mixed up since i have been sick. popcorn or maybe a tuna sandwich later.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:45 PM   #58
Head Chef

Leftover Hamburger Steak w/onion/mushroom Gravy
Mashed Potatoes
Succotash
Old 02-29-2012, 09:57 PM   #59
Executive Chef

Regardless of what else is going on with any and all of you, it's good to remember you are well thought of here !!

I hit up the deli, so I made doctored up vinegar cole slaw, doctored up potato salad ( nothing generic about my deli food by the time I get done with it) and as rare as possible thin sliced roast beef sandwich with horse radish sauce on caraway rye for supper.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #60
Executive Chef

I'm happy to report that my Shrimp with Crispy Walnuts in Creamy Sauce was a success! I'm already in the vicinity of the same dish at my two favorite Chinese restaurants that serve a similar dish. I under salted it and corrected that in serving. I took detailed notes including weights, volumes and counts so that eventually I can reconstruct from my notes a blog quality recipe.

A 9 oz. cleaned shrimp quantity makes a very happy big serving.

I was put off when my favorite Chinese restaurant used mayonnaise and condensed milk in the sauce. That doesn't seem Chinese to me, but it was really good. The sauce is sweetened and I used honey (seems to be a favorite on similar recipes on the Internet).

So this was a good recipe. After cooking it several more times it might even be good enough for prime time!