What's Lucky to Be On Your Table for Dec Friday 13th?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Griddled two "Dolly Parton" chicken breasts, each cut in half, each with a different seasoning - so, four "flavors". Steamed fresh broccoli crowns and reheated the leftover baked spaghetti squash and steamed cabbage. Himself was happy...he had baguette for the starch!

I'm thinking some kind of easy to make hearty soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. I'm off to explore DC's soup recipes.
I found this recipe: http://www.discusscooking.com/forum...-with-cheddar-and-bacon-15203.html#post172891. I fried the bacon first and then fried the leek and garlic in some of the leftover bacon fat. I nuked the potatoes instead of baking them.

I didn't bother with the sandwiches. The soup was hearty enough that it was plenty. It was kind of subtle tasting, but got better as we ate it. Quite yummy. There was a subtle, but definite baked potato flavour, which was very nice.

I will make it again, and tweak it some more.

Was planning on making a sausage kale soup, but could not get the sausage I wanted at our pitiful grocery. Thought I was going to have to come up with some other idea, but when I got home from work there was a message from DH saying he was bringing pizza home. "What a guy!" So I used the time I would have spent cooking to help a co worker out...she had asked me if I would "pull her hair thru a cap" in preparation for "color"...... So a couple of glasses of wine and some hairdressing and pizza for dinner, an okay Friday night :)

We ended up starting with some leftover roasted red pepper soup. Then I had baked potato salad from the deli and TB had chicken and greek salad.

Light meal but tasty!

We had pierogies with cheese, sour cream and tomato sauce, and a salad of lettuce, baby spinach, sliced hardboiled eggs, bacon bits, cut up radishes, cut up red onion, green and black olives, and the choice of ranch, blue cheese, and Italian dressings.

Pierogies are very filling and Mamma always said to serve this with a light salad.

With love,
~Cat

Pot roast using a bone in chuck, with carrots, taters, onions and mushies.

We had pierogies with cheese, sour cream and tomato sauce

Do you make your own? I've only had frozen Mrs T's pierogies but I do love them.

I used to eat at a deli close to where I worked that had pieroskis. I've never seen them at delis anywhere else and I'm sure not going to try to make them.:) Whole 'nuther animal.

I had the Deluxe chicken dinner from the deli, a leg and thigh with mashed taters, cream gravy and coleslaw. Shrek had eggs and hash browns.

Tonight's dinner will be wonton soup.

Andy, that sounds DELICIOUS right about now. Especially with this cold rainy weather that we are having today.

I tried making Wonton Soup once and it never takes like the Chinese restaurants that we go too... One of the main reasons I love going to our local chinese place. Do you mind sharing your recipe?

Do you make your own? I've only had frozen Mrs T's pierogies but I do love them.

I used to eat at a deli close to where I worked that had pieroskis. I've never seen them at delis anywhere else and I'm sure not going to try to make them.:) Whole 'nuther animal.
My SIL and her family makes them every Christmas Eve day. Unfortunately, we're never in the same state when she does it. :(

I used to do food demos at a grocery store that had an in-store cooking school. As employees, we were allowed to take a couple classes a year for free. I took the pierogi making class. IMO it's all about the dough. The recipe our instructor used was wonderful: tender, yet didn't break apart; easy to work with; just perfect. I had kept that recipe magnetized to the side of my refrigerator for years, until I put it in a "safe place" when we moved. So safe I haven't been able to find the recipe in 13 years. :ermm:

A woman who was semi-famous for her now-closed pierogi store (Parma Pierogis - Bill Clinton ate there) also took the class. Mary said she went to every pierogi class there was and never left without learning one new thing.

Back
Top Bottom