What's New (for Dinner) Pussycat? 8/5/13

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrincessFiona60

Ogress Supreme
Moderator Emeritus
I went overboard with the Mandarin Orange Chicken Salad, so we are having it for Lunch AND Dinner.

Sooo... are we doing a Tom Jones themed week or our subject line will be edited to suit? :angel:

I'm thinking hot dogs and Mexican cole slaw tonight.

Not only Tom Jones...just song titles with "What's" I came up with it as I was drifting off last night.

What's important is getting the date in there, per the forum rules...and it's kinda fun for others to play along.

I think I'm going to grill burgers tonight. Everyone will be home and we cleaned up the left overs last night. That is something that won't leave a lot in the fridge for when we're gone later in the week. I may try my hand at Andy's rice pilaf recipe since I finally found orzo. I'd like to try it here at home and then if I'm successful, I'll make it for the in-laws later in the week.

Liver and onions for DH (pumping up the iron and nutrients to combat anemia and liver disease) and since it's take all I have to just cook that for him, I have a tasty pasta dish using mushrooms, sun dried tomatoes, onion, and parm for myself.

Last evening of work for me tonight, not sure what I'll make there, but here there is a pile of yummy stuff and great big piles of lunch meat with cheese buns and fresh french bread so I suspect someone will leave a nice salad and suggest everyone make big sandwiches for supper.

:LOL: Alix!

I'm roasting a turkey. Forgot how disgusting all the innards are...

*flings thong onto stage*

@Dawgluver...
9742.jpg

Oops!

I've found the other kind of thong doesn't quite get the same trajectory....you have to slingshot it.

Last edited:
I had wanted to make tzatziki last night, but realized too late that the container of Greek yogurt was almost empty. After grocery shopping today, I'm going to make that and some pan-seared Greek-seasoned chicken breasts, along with a Greek salad. I'll slice up the chicken and serve it in lightly toasted pita pockets with tzatziki, lettuce and tomato (and onions for DH). Time to get started! :)

Not only Tom Jones...just song titles with "What's" I came up with it as I was drifting off last night.

What's important is getting the date in there, per the forum rules...and it's kinda fun for others to play along.

These week-long themed dinner threads have been fun. What's even more fun is the exchanges between Alix (Oh MY!) and Dawg! :ROFLMAO: Meanwhile, I'll remain fully clothed for all your sakes - heck, I don't even turn the bathroom light on anymore when I shower!

I have some Italian sausage I'll saute up with onion and garlic, then toss in some cooked orecchiette and wilted kale, and a can of rinsed cannellini beans. Lots of micro-grated parm over it. :yum: Quick salad of greens with fresh mozz (have to use up before it goes yuck) black olives and tomato.

I made a pimento cheese spread as I am trying to recapture the goodness of grandma's recipe. I plan to have it with freshly sliced tomatoes from the garden.

Oh, but I hope it turns out.

Rib eye steak cooked via Sous Vide at 120F for 1 hour, twice baked potato (potato, grated cheddar cheese, sour cream, cream, butter, sliced green onion, horseradish via reconstituted wasabi powder, topped with Hungarian sweet paprika), steamed broccoli.

My latest Sous Vide technique involves heating the serving plate to maybe about 140F, then put the steak on the plate and torch the top side with my creme brulee torch (you know the one from the set at BB&B). Just repeating in case some DC members missed my previous comments, with Sous Vide techniques particularly if you want a medium-rare to rare steak, you have to get that steak out of the SV and slap it on a hot plate and then sear ONE side quickly!

Their literature/documentation stresses to sear just one side, and that's because the inside of the steak is already cooked to perfection. But it doesn't look that good outside, kind of grey (this is my personal observation) so you wanna sear the top side for appearance, and also there's a taste contributed by burned fat and browning the steak protein, so you need to hit it with something hot and quick, but you have to do it in some way that doesn't cook the inside from rare to MR all the way to MW.

I've made that mistake once or twice. The whole Sous Vide technique as applied to ordinary steaks is that you cook the whole steak to the perfection that you expect inside your best cooked steak, and then you quickly treat the surface (1-2 minutes) and serve it before the inside is further cooked.

I am of course using my new Wolf oven on the twice baked potato, and it feels something like using a .357 Magnum to shoot a fly! :D It's a shame I'm not cooking for several instead of just an individual dinner but my friends are occupied and/or I didn't really feel that well today to want to cook for company.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom