What's on the hob Bob, dinner 10/17/13?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Cobean

Executive Chef
sooooo,frank the fish....sounds like something from the soprano's (r.i.p james gandolfini,huge talent sadly missed)"hey,dis is my cousin..frankie,frankie de' fish...),anyway,where was i?oh yes in tesco with my friend & fishmonger frank
who had some super fresh swordfish steaks on offer.so i decided to cook a dish i haven't cooked since last year.turned out even better than last year but the b*gger was that my camera battery was flat,so i've reposted last years pics:
griddled swordfish steak over baby veg ratatouille washed down with ice cold picpoul de pinet whilst watching judge(if it doesn't make sense it ain't true)judy...luvva!!

Attachments

• SWORDFISH & RATATOUILLE 001.JPG
    SWORDFISH & RATATOUILLE 001.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 184
  • SWORDFISH & RATATOUILLE 002.JPG
    SWORDFISH & RATATOUILLE 002.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 195
  • SWORDFISH & RATATOUILLE 003.JPG
    SWORDFISH & RATATOUILLE 003.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 190
  • SWORDFISH & RATATOUILLE 004.JPG
    SWORDFISH & RATATOUILLE 004.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 186
  • SWORDFISH & RATATOUILLE 006.JPG
    SWORDFISH & RATATOUILLE 006.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 179
Last edited by a moderator:
is it long thing an onion? I've never seen an onion like that. Interesting. Now back to dish, detail recipe please.

is it long thing an onion? I've never seen an onion like that. Interesting. Now back to dish, detail recipe please.
they are shallots charlie.some people call them torpedo shallots & i think they are also called banana shallots.officially they are echalion shallots.i use them a lot because they are milder & sweeter than a lot of other types of onions & shallots.they also hold their shape well if you cook them whole,so they look pretty in the finished dish!.all the supermarkets over here sell them.
i was fairly new to dc when i posted the photo's last year & i posted the recipe in "food photo's"....ooooops!! anyway here's the link...enjoy!!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/food-photos-80448-7.html

Last edited:
I'm going to try a Ground Beef Kheema recipe I saw on Food Network. I may substitute ground turkey for the beef. It's going to get very humid today so I want something fast that didn't require a lot of hovering over a hot pot. Served with brown rice and green stuff.

Beautiful, Harry. Very nice looking dish.
And that steak is HUGE! I don't think I've ever seen both halves together before.

We're having pizza tonight. I think it'll be topped with sautéed criminis and onion. A frosty Samuel Adams Boston Lager will help wash it all down.

I was going to make meatloaf but forgot to take the hamburger out of the freezer this morning. As I was in the fridge getting a glass of milk for my "after school snack" I remembered I have a small ham. That I can bake easily and we'll have macaroni and cheese and salads.

sooooo,frank the fish....sounds like something from the soprano's (r.i.p james gandolfini,huge talent sadly missed)"hey,dis is my cousin..frankie,frankie de' fish...),anyway,where was i?oh yes in tesco with my friend & fishmonger frank
who had some super fresh swordfish steaks on offer.so i decided to cook a dish i haven't cooked since last year.turned out even better than last year but the b*gger was that my camera battery was flat,so i've reposted last years pics:
griddled swordfish steak over baby veg ratatouille washed down with ice cold picpoul de pinet whilst watching judge(if it doesn't make sense it ain't true)judy...luvva!!
Wherever did you find the baby aubergines? Not seen them in Tesco.

Sauteed kielbasa sausage with red and yellow peppers. This is very nice!

With love,
~Cat

Another take and bake United Way fundraiser, this time chicken enchiladas, scalloped corn, and strawberry pretzel pie. All very good, and a LOT of food. We'll be able to eat off this all weekend, an excellent deal for $20. We didn't even get into the pie yet.

Last edited:
Love your farm-to-table photo montage Harry. Especially the last picture.

Busy day so we had leftovers - and fresh-made salads. Himself cleaned up the pork roast in gravy over noodles. My salad was a big dinner salad so I threw in the last few slices of rotisserie chicken that weren't used for the chicken-and-biscuits. I have another busy day tomorrow and I'm running out of leftovers. Maybe we'll starve...:ohmy:

.... and strawberry pretzel pie.....
Hmm, never heard of strawberry pretzel pie. It sounds...interesting? :ermm:

Another take and bake United Way fundraiser, this time chicken enchiladas, scalloped corn, and strawberry pretzel pie. All very good, and a LOT of food. We'll be able to eat off this all weekend, an excellent deal for $20. We didn't even get into the pie yet.

What is this? This seems very nice.

With love,
~Cat

What is this? This seems very nice.

With love,
~Cat

Cat, it's a multipurpose charity that helps with lots of things. http://www.unitedway.org/. They do good work.

DH's company has wonderful meals cooked each month, by their on-site cooks. The company employees purchase the meals, and the proceeds go to United Way. People can also have money taken out of their paychecks every month to directly contribute to United Way.

Last edited:
But Dawg, WHAT is strawberry pretzel pie?

Not sure, CG, we haven't broken into it yet. It has LOTS of strawberries, over a crushed pretzel crust, I think.

Will grab a pic when we cut into it. :)lol: , went to take a pic, pre-cut, it just looks like a big pan of cooked strawberries, not too interesting!)

Last edited:
Wherever did you find the baby aubergines? Not seen them in Tesco.
tesco.i have 2 tesco superstores & 1 standard size store all within a few miles drive of where i live.only one of the stores stocks them.i shop at all three depending on what i need as not all stores have the same product range
Tesco Baby Aubergines 350G - Groceries - Tesco Groceries
when i'm over at the house in north wales which is only a few miles from chester i've also found them in the waitrose store on eastgate street.as you know ocado deliver waitrose products
Ocado: Ocado Baby Aubergines (Product Information)
i live about 6 miles from bolton which has a huge immigrant population-pakistani,poles,indian,iraqi,chinese,iranian,african..you name it bolton's got it!!.the great news for me is that there are literally dozens & dozens of food shops serving the communities & you can find ANY ingredients you need so i also buy them there.lovely,friendly people who'll spend hours telling you what various ingredients are & how to use them.damn sight cheaper than the supermercado's too!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom