What's on the menu Friday 3/22/2019?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kayelle posted an inspiring photo of stuffed shells last week:

attachment.php

I don't know if mine will be as tasty, but I'll make an effort tonight. We'll have salad along the side.

Those look good. My son and I had taco stuffed pasta shells for dinner last Sunday. Really good.

As for my food today, I had a veggie burger for lunch along with Simple Truth vegetable pilaf that consists of brown rice, golden quinoa, red quinoa and peas & carrots. And tonight I'm making quesadillas from tortillas, of course, filled with refried beans, reduced fat sour cream, diced onions, shredded lettuce, a little salsa and diced avocado.

...CG, I love stuffed shells...
Can you believe that this is the first time I've ever made them? For some reason, I always thought that Himself wouldn't enjoy them. He did! In fact, he seemed OK even with the generous amount of spinach, since he is not a fan. He never fails to surprise. :LOL:

I used only half the box of shells, and only half the tub of ricotta (I had the quart size). I think I'll make another batch soon, but sub out Italian sausage for the spinach and toss in some fresh-chopped basil.

We had Carbonara..I didn't have any pancetta, so I seasoned some thick slices of side pork in the afternoon, then scraped off the seasoning and fried them as usual..it was a surprising success..

Attachments

• 54519809_1271922649642636_7998236159018795008_n.jpg
    54519809_1271922649642636_7998236159018795008_n.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 101
We have some leftover steak from the other night, so I'm going to slice it up and make steak quesadillas. I think I'll make this Mexican Corn Soup, too. Then we'll have the leftover for lunches over the weekend.
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ingrid-hoffmann/mexican-corn-soup-recipe-1951245
Dinner. I had to add a lot of seasonings to the soup for our taste - Penzeys Southwest Seasoning, bay leaves, hot sauce, more Mexican oregano. It turned out good, though. That's queso fresco on the top.
0322192018.jpg

We had Carbonara..I didn't have any pancetta, so I seasoned some thick slices of side pork in the afternoon, then scraped off the seasoning and fried them as usual..it was a surprising success..

That "side pork" looks just like bacon. Oh, wait, you're Canadian. :rolleyes:

CD :mrgreen:

I found this:

Side pork is the cut adjacent to the belly but further up the sides of the animal, hence "side pork" or "side meat". The main difference between the two is side pork has more meat than fat and belly has more fat than meat. ... If the side meat was cut up like sliced bacon, I have no idea what you could do with it.

Sounds reasonable but...

I found this:

Side pork is the cut adjacent to the belly but further up the sides of the animal, hence "side pork" or "side meat". The main difference between the two is side pork has more meat than fat and belly has more fat than meat. ... If the side meat was cut up like sliced bacon, I have no idea what you could do with it.

Sounds reasonable but...
Yes..side pork is from the sides of the abdomen...it comes from a section that isn't trimmed as uniformly as regular bacon so it is a bit more rustic in shape and is not cured in any way.
and usually sliced much thicker. We've grown up just frying it until it becomes crispy..my mother used to sprinkle a tiny bit of salt and cinnamon on it...you can also marinate it in an Asian type sauce and broil it until it is done, then, cut it up and add it to stir fries..it used to be quite cheap but now is almost a dollar a slice..I'll pick it up at an Asian grocer because it is usually on sale there..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom