What's on the menu Friday the 13th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

forty_caliber

Admiral of the Texas Navy
Moderator Emeritus
Thought I would start a thread since I didn't see one already going.

I think we'll have Goulash tonight.... I think I'm going to substitute beef stock for the water.

Goulash
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yield: 8 servings

Ingredients:

3 lbs. lean ground beef, or beef tips
2 large onions, chopped
4 cups water
1 (29-ounce) can tomato sauce
2 (15-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 bay leaves
3 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons paprika
2 teaspoons cracked pepper
2 teaspoons seasoned salt, Lowerys
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
6 cups dried elbow macaroni, large
1/2 teaspoon cayenne

Directions:

In a Dutch oven, saute the beef over medium-high heat, until no pink remains. Break up meat while sauteing; spoon off any grease. Add the onions to the pot and saute until they are tender about 5 minutes. Add minced garlic, soy sauce, and dry spices and stir into meat mixture. Do not allow spices to burn. Add 3 cups water, along with the tomato sauce and tomatoes allow this to cook for 20 to 25 minutes.

Add the elbow macaroni, stir well, return the lid to the pot, and simmer for about 20 minutes. Turn off the heat, remove the bay leaves and allow the mixture to sit about 30 minutes more before serving.

not sure

on my way back from my doctors appointment on Tuesday, (he doubled my blood pressure medicine dosage), I picked up 12 frozen whole chickens, and I roasted one yesterday. So I was planning on having leftover chicken parts with microwaved new potatoes. Then a friend stopped by this morning with 1 1/2 pounds of fresh salmon and 1 1/2 pounds of frozen salmon. I'm thinking I need to cook the salmon today? It was caught on Wednesday. I also have 2 chickens thawing in the frig for dinner tomorrow, with friends. Was planning a pasta salad, potatoes and chicken for tomorrow. Now I'm thinking of adding the cooked salmon to the pasta salad, or keep it separate and add as needed? Anyway, there is too much food in the frig right now. Will send some home with the friends tomorrow, so it won't go to waste.

maybe will have an easy oven baked salmon recipe, some chicken, and finish it off with some ice cream;)

The chicken will wait a day or so, use the salmon! MMMMMMM! Check out my wild west salmon recipe. Its killer good. I love it.

Glad you are keeping that BP in check. We worry about you Beth.

Andy, which way are you doing your eggplant? Panko, parm?

I have NO idea what to do for dinner. I've just spent a couple hours at Moms house with the dumpster guys getting rid of two more loads. They will come again tomorrow for one more load (or two). I'm off to a concert tonight so dinner might be a quickie. Soup maybe? Its actually cool here today. I'm in pants for the first time in months!

Alix, I'm not a fan of breadcrumb coated fried goods so I'm doing panko with some parm and seasonings mixed in. I've actually never done eggplant before because I usually do chicken parm instead.

I mentioned to SO that I saw some very nice looking eggplant at the weekly farmers' market and she went on about how she loves eggplant parm (and hot Italian sausage) so I thought, "Aha, an opportunity to make her happy, I'll surprise her."

So yesterday I made some sauce with hot Italian sausage and I'm about to fry up the eggplant and assemble the dish so I can pop it into the oven for dinner.

Was digging around in the freezer and found some homemade tamales from Christmas, and a small container of my chili verde.
So it will be tamales topped with chili verde, and I'll make some Mexican rice, and a nice salad. All your dinners sound delish...

Tonight I made Malaysian Ayam Masak Merah for the family, which is red cooked chicken. It tasted simply divine, hot, and spicy.

It is Dad and me tonight and we have baseball and football games so we are having our traditional hot dogs with fried onions.

Wow, and you live practically in my back yard! I'll be over around 5:30 ;):LOL:

Seriously, welcome to DC. It is good to see another West Coaster!
haha Come on over! Bring the sake! I actually just recently learned how to make this since I moved to Vancouver. Where I lived before it was very hard to find the ingredients to make the stuff.

Mexican Dinner: Beef, bean and cheese enchilada, Mexican rice and salsa.

img_914227_0_c115d974d02e9780b74f02685602da0b.jpg

img_914227_1_f66d79eddb5d464e3b935397e2efdecb.jpg

img_914227_2_f9c21e255213880b3dc374ef76e3e661.jpg

img_914227_3_c950129ed0af035654ec01daf16cad13.jpg

Wasn't feeling well today so dinner was scrambled eggs, toast, and bacon.

Alix, I'm not a fan of breadcrumb coated fried goods so I'm doing panko with some parm and seasonings mixed in. I've actually never done eggplant before because I usually do chicken parm instead.

I mentioned to SO that I saw some very nice looking eggplant at the weekly farmers' market and she went on about how she loves eggplant parm (and hot Italian sausage) so I thought, "Aha, an opportunity to make her happy, I'll surprise her."

So yesterday I made some sauce with hot Italian sausage and I'm about to fry up the eggplant and assemble the dish so I can pop it into the oven for dinner.

UPDATE. We had the eggplant parm and SO loved it. She told me it was excellent and that it was the best she'd ever had.

How's that for dumb luck?!

We had fresh Yakutat Halibut (flown down to the tip of Tejas via my favorite vendor), topped with a tomato pesto, along with fresh asparagus topped with cayenne-seasoned breadcrumbs, sheep's milk pecorino Romano, chopped roasted red pepper, & Belgian butter. In addition, a brown/wild rice/wild mushroom medley. That sure sounds fancy!:D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom