"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2019, 08:00 PM   #21
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Looks good, Andy..I haven't done burgers yet, but I'm guessing that the lengthy time in the water must do something different to the fat in the beef which may result in a different texture of the finished product?
I have an Anova circulator and the app that goes with it. I also downloaded the Joule app based on the recommendation of a Youtube sous vide video.

The Anova recommends a one hour cook while the Joule recommends 22 minutes. I didn't notice a change in texture but there may have been a minor one that got by me.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:05 PM   #22
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Somebody here linked to a guide about meat temperatures. It explained that when you cook meat, you are pasteurizing it. It's a combination of time and temperature that kills the germs. The hotter it gets, the shorter time until all the germs are killed. This made me think of using sous vide for burgers. A rare or medium rare burger is generally considered a no no because of the risk of germs from surface of the meat getting mixed into the middle when it is ground. Well, if the meat is cooked for long enough at a lower temperature, it would still be pasteurized and safe.

If someone has that link, I would appreciate it being shared again.
I've seen that chart and a lot of sous vide cooking is based on it. Serious Eats suggests cooking chicken breast to 150F. I was a bit concerned but tried it. The result is, without a doubt, the very best chicken breast I've ever eaten! It was juicy and flavorful. The texture was different and better-more like steak.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:09 PM   #23
Certified Pretend Chef

Here's the chart form Serious Eats: https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/...east.html#safe

Pasteurization Time for Chicken With 5% Fat Content (7-log10 lethality)
[TOP]

Temperature Time
136F (58C) 68.4 minutes
140F (60C) 27.5 minutes
145F (63C) 9.2 minutes
150F (66C) 2.8 minutes
155F (68C) 47.7 seconds
160F (71C) 14.8 seconds
165F (74C) Instant
Old 04-14-2019, 08:16 PM   #24
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Looks good, Andy..I haven't done burgers yet, but I'm guessing that the lengthy time in the water must do something different to the fat in the beef which may result in a different texture of the finished product?
Roch, the Serious Eats website is a good source for info. It discusses what happens to mat the longer it cooks. Here's some info on this topic: https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/...teak.html#time
Old 04-14-2019, 08:26 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
Felt like comfort food tonight, so it was meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and asparagus.
It would have been even more comforting had the asparagus been Brussels sprouts.

Our supper was kinda highbrow/lowbrow. Fancy salads with three greens, various olives, Persian cukes, 'maters, and Marcona almonds. Followed up with...fried bologna sandwiches.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190414_204129582_HDR.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	34412
Old 04-14-2019, 08:27 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I've seen that chart and a lot of sous vide cooking is based on it. Serious Eats suggests cooking chicken breast to 150F. I was a bit concerned but tried it. The result is, without a doubt, the very best chicken breast I've ever eaten! It was juicy and flavorful. The texture was different and better-more like steak.
Keep in mind that killing bacteria in meat is both a temperature and time thing. Cooking chicken to 175-degrees for one second is like cooking it to 150-degrees for a longer period of time (sorry, right off hand I don't know that time).

Bacteria in meat can be completely killed at 120-degrees, if you cook it long enough. That is the beauty of sous vide. You can cook something like chicken to 150F and still have safe to eat chicken.

CD
Old 04-14-2019, 08:28 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Here's the chart form Serious Eats: https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/...east.html#safe

Pasteurization Time for Chicken With 5% Fat Content (7-log10 lethality)
[TOP]

Temperature Time
136F (58C) 68.4 minutes
140F (60C) 27.5 minutes
145F (63C) 9.2 minutes
150F (66C) 2.8 minutes
155F (68C) 47.7 seconds
160F (71C) 14.8 seconds
165F (74C) Instant
I have a PDF of the guide from ChefSteps. That is another good one to have.

CD
Old 04-14-2019, 08:37 PM   #28
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
...Bacteria in meat can be completely killed at 120-degrees, if you cook it long enough...CD

If you cook it for too long, then you start getting texture problems. You could conceivably have a rare steak that's the texture of oatmeal at the extreme.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:40 PM   #29
Executive Chef

For those of you who don't cook sous vide, yet, getting an immersion circulator is kind of like getting a chemistry set when you were a kid -- well if you were a kid in the sixties, like me.

When I got mine, it felt just like that. It is a culinary toy that can do some amazing things with. When I bought one for my 86-year-old chemical engineer father, he dove in head first. Same thing.

It is not god's gift to cooking. But, it is a whole lot of fun to cook with. Like any cooking technique, it does some things amazingly well, and other things... well, "that was okay."

Circulators have gotten cheap. My Anova was 140-bucks. They have cheaper models now.

It is worth the money to have a new way to play with your food, IMO.

CD
Old 04-14-2019, 08:44 PM   #30
Head Chef

Chickpea salad sandwich.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chickpea Salad.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	34413  

Tags
menu