What's on the menu Sunday 4/14/2019?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks good, Andy..I haven't done burgers yet, but I'm guessing that the lengthy time in the water must do something different to the fat in the beef which may result in a different texture of the finished product?

I have an Anova circulator and the app that goes with it. I also downloaded the Joule app based on the recommendation of a Youtube sous vide video.

The Anova recommends a one hour cook while the Joule recommends 22 minutes. I didn't notice a change in texture but there may have been a minor one that got by me.

Somebody here linked to a guide about meat temperatures. It explained that when you cook meat, you are pasteurizing it. It's a combination of time and temperature that kills the germs. The hotter it gets, the shorter time until all the germs are killed. This made me think of using sous vide for burgers. A rare or medium rare burger is generally considered a no no because of the risk of germs from surface of the meat getting mixed into the middle when it is ground. Well, if the meat is cooked for long enough at a lower temperature, it would still be pasteurized and safe.

If someone has that link, I would appreciate it being shared again.

I've seen that chart and a lot of sous vide cooking is based on it. Serious Eats suggests cooking chicken breast to 150ºF. I was a bit concerned but tried it. The result is, without a doubt, the very best chicken breast I've ever eaten! It was juicy and flavorful. The texture was different and better-more like steak.

Felt like comfort food tonight, so it was meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and asparagus.
It would have been even more comforting had the asparagus been Brussels sprouts. ;)

Our supper was kinda highbrow/lowbrow. Fancy salads with three greens, various olives, Persian cukes, 'maters, and Marcona almonds. Followed up with...fried bologna sandwiches.
IMG_20190414_204129582_HDR.jpg

I've seen that chart and a lot of sous vide cooking is based on it. Serious Eats suggests cooking chicken breast to 150ºF. I was a bit concerned but tried it. The result is, without a doubt, the very best chicken breast I've ever eaten! It was juicy and flavorful. The texture was different and better-more like steak.

Keep in mind that killing bacteria in meat is both a temperature and time thing. Cooking chicken to 175-degrees for one second is like cooking it to 150-degrees for a longer period of time (sorry, right off hand I don't know that time).

Bacteria in meat can be completely killed at 120-degrees, if you cook it long enough. That is the beauty of sous vide. You can cook something like chicken to 150F and still have safe to eat chicken.

CD

Here's the chart form Serious Eats: https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07...e-guide-to-sous-vide-chicken-breast.html#safe

Pasteurization Time for Chicken With 5% Fat Content (7-log10 lethality)
[TOP]

Temperature Time
136°F (58°C) 68.4 minutes
140°F (60°C) 27.5 minutes
145°F (63°C) 9.2 minutes
150°F (66°C) 2.8 minutes
155°F (68°C) 47.7 seconds
160°F (71°C) 14.8 seconds
165°F (74°C) Instant

I have a PDF of the guide from ChefSteps. That is another good one to have.

CD

...Bacteria in meat can be completely killed at 120-degrees, if you cook it long enough...CD

If you cook it for too long, then you start getting texture problems. You could conceivably have a rare steak that's the texture of oatmeal at the extreme.

For those of you who don't cook sous vide, yet, getting an immersion circulator is kind of like getting a chemistry set when you were a kid -- well if you were a kid in the sixties, like me. :LOL:

When I got mine, it felt just like that. It is a culinary toy that can do some amazing things with. When I bought one for my 86-year-old chemical engineer father, he dove in head first. Same thing.

It is not god's gift to cooking. But, it is a whole lot of fun to cook with. Like any cooking technique, it does some things amazingly well, and other things... well, "that was okay."

Circulators have gotten cheap. My Anova was 140-bucks. They have cheaper models now.

It is worth the money to have a new way to play with your food, IMO.

CD

If you cook it for too long, then you start getting texture problems. You could conceivably have a rare steak that's the texture of oatmeal at the extreme.

Yes, you are absolutely right, but steak doesn't need to be cooked that long, or to that low temperature. I was being theoretical. From a practical point, you can cook chicken to a lower than thought to be safe temperature, if you cook it long enough.

As I already stated, sous vide cooking for me is like getting a new toy to play with. Most of my experiences have been great! Some have been, "Well, that was okay." So far, I have not had a bad experience.

CD

I have asked the powers that be to set up a dedicated Sous Vide section on DC. I do realize that the admin and mods don't want to have to manage 500 separate forums, but if a few of us say "pretty please," maybe they will indulge us.

I would offer to moderate that forum, but I don't see anyone letting me moderate any forum. :smartass:

I love sousvide, but not tonight for us. I'd love to have a dedicated forum.

It's such a beautiful warm evening with this glorious daylight, we had a Mexican appetizer good time with our wine watching the sunset.:cool:
Seafood ceviche
Killer guacamole
Taquitos with cheese
Nacho Dorito's

Ice cream for later.

What FABULOUS looking dinners here, everyone! :yum: Roch....I sure could go for a couple of those perfectly cooked lamb riblets and a slice of your berry pie.

I had a lazy Sunday afternoon breakfast-for-dinner. A poached egg over a toasted English muffin, asparagus, and a fresh fruit salad.

For those of you who don't cook sous vide, yet, getting an immersion circulator is kind of like getting a chemistry set when you were a kid -- well if you were a kid in the sixties, like me. :LOL:

When I got mine, it felt just like that. It is a culinary toy that can do some amazing things with. When I bought one for my 86-year-old chemical engineer father, he dove in head first. Same thing.

It is not god's gift to cooking. But, it is a whole lot of fun to cook with. Like any cooking technique, it does some things amazingly well, and other things... well, "that was okay."

Circulators have gotten cheap. My Anova was 140-bucks. They have cheaper models now.

It is worth the money to have a new way to play with your food, IMO.

CD

Well said, casey. It is fun to play with your food.

I got my Anova Nano for Christmas and it was about $65-$69, I forget which. I can set it directly at the device or from my phone via the app.

I'm in favor of a dedicated Sous Vide Forum.

Tonight I made some tacos, with some chicken livers in chipotle sauce - an old recipe from (I think) Diana Kennedy's Recipes From The Regional Cooks of Mexico. It is one of those that I have made countless times, and have also tweaked it, using dried moritas, and some of that salsa negra from Rick Bayless's Mexican Kitchen. The original recipe had just canned chipotles; still good, but not like the tweaked version.

Tacos, with chicken livers and chipotle filling. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Leftover mix, after the 4 tacos - many more tacos worth left!
Chicken livers in chipotle sauce. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I posted the recipe on another thread.

Back
Top Bottom