What's on the menu Sunday 4/14/2019?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
I got my free ham from Shop Rite. So I broke it down and boiled the bone. I had ham and green pepper scramble for lunch. I think we will have split pea soup tonight for dinner. My hands are really painful for the last week so soup will be easy.

Sous vide burgers tonight.

Let us know how you did your sear at the end. And, how it turned out.

I haven't found burgers to be any better cooked sous vide, so I am curious what you think, and how you did yours.

Don't get me wrong, I love sous vide cooking. But, some things seem to be a perfect match for that technique, and others are kind of, meh.

I'd love to hear about your experience.

CD

Right now, at 3:40 in the afternoon, I've got a riff on spaghetti carbonara bouncing around in my noggin. It won't be authentic, for sure, but is uses things I have on hand, and things I like.

I want to try to incorporate some kind of sausage into the cook. I looked in my freezer, and I have WAY too much sausage in there.

CD

Right now, at 3:40 in the afternoon, I've got a riff on spaghetti carbonara bouncing around in my noggin. It won't be authentic, for sure, but is uses things I have on hand, and things I like.

I want to try to incorporate some kind of sausage into the cook. I looked in my freezer, and I have WAY too much sausage in there.

CD

Cut a couple of sausages into coins, put in a pot with pasta sauce and let it flavor the sauce. Serve with pasta of your choice. Happy eating!:yum::yum:

CD
Sausage carbonara is my gf's favorite..I have to admit, it is very good too..I think we eat it more than the original version

Sausage carbonara is my gf's favorite..I have to admit, it is very good too..I think we eat it more than the original version

Thanks. I pulled some really good German smoked sausage from Central Texas (settled by German immigrants), and plan to use that. If it doesn't render enough fat, I can add some olive oil and butter.

It will be a "shoot from the hip" carbonara-like dish, but I think it will be good.

CD

Attachments

• 57099047_782734528778400_6624892508964913152_n.jpg
    57099047_782734528778400_6624892508964913152_n.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 105
Ooh, yummy looking lamb Roch.

We had pot o' pig. I made it with linguine, since I'm not eating potatoes. It was an experiment. The linguine soaked up too much of the sauce. Next time I will try serving the linguine separately and putting the pot 'o pig on top. It tasted good. I served that with a salad and homemade vinaigrette. I chopped up chard stems and put them in the salad. That worked well as a celery substitute.

Attachments

• IMG_20190414_183842.jpg
    IMG_20190414_183842.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 86
Let us know how you did your sear at the end. And, how it turned out.

I haven't found burgers to be any better cooked sous vide, so I am curious what you think, and how you did yours.

Don't get me wrong, I love sous vide cooking. But, some things seem to be a perfect match for that technique, and others are kind of, meh.

I'd love to hear about your experience.

CD

A nice juicy burger on the grill is hard to beat.

The benefit to doing sous vide is that you can leave it unattended and it's always perfectly cooked. Also, I'm still having fun playing with sous vide.

I finished the burgers in a super hot CI skillet for a couple of minutes.

I didn't take a photo tonight but here's a photo from an earlier cook that shows you a finished product.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_5477.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_5477.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Looks good, Andy..I haven't done burgers yet, but I'm guessing that the lengthy time in the water must do something different to the fat in the beef which may result in a different texture of the finished product?

Somebody here linked to a guide about meat temperatures. It explained that when you cook meat, you are pasteurizing it. It's a combination of time and temperature that kills the germs. The hotter it gets, the shorter time until all the germs are killed. This made me think of using sous vide for burgers. A rare or medium rare burger is generally considered a no no because of the risk of germs from surface of the meat getting mixed into the middle when it is ground. Well, if the meat is cooked for long enough at a lower temperature, it would still be pasteurized and safe.

If someone has that link, I would appreciate it being shared again.

These days, if you are going to serve rare burgers, you should grind your own meat. And more or less sterilize the surface of the meat, before grinding. Of course, there is no way to totally sterilize it, whatever you do will be safer than buying ground meat.

These days, if you are going to serve rare burgers, you should grind your own meat. And more or less sterilize the surface of the meat, before grinding. Of course, there is no way to totally sterilize it, whatever you do will be safer than buying ground meat.
I would just buy a blade/chuck steak and grind it..you can't beat that for burger..

Back
Top Bottom