What's on the menu Sunday 5/7/2017?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
I'm cleaning out freezer so it will be corned beef tonight.

Still stumbling around after vacation. There's a boneless ham in the fridge that DH got from work for Easter that's been staring at me. Will try to slice some up paper thin for sammies, chunk some up for soup, and give some to the neighbor.

GD and I were going to be making some fresh fettuccine and Alfredo sauce with tossed salad to accompany.

However, she just got called out for a flight so I'll be going solo.

Preparing for a trip so, cleaning out the fridge & freezer... We will have a plate of multicultural goodies today and tomorrow.. Used the last of the eggs for bread pudding for tonight and tomorrow night...

Ross

GD and I were going to be making some fresh fettuccine and Alfredo sauce with tossed salad to accompany.

However, she just got called out for a flight so I'll be going solo.

Change in plans. I decided we'd eat one of the foods GD doesn't care for-pork.

Tonight's dinner will be pan-seared medallions of pork tenderloin, buttered egg noodles and some seamed broccoli.

I just pulled a sweet onion tart with an herbed crust out of the oven. It will have to cool a bit before we cut it. We're also having carpaccio on a bed of arugula with shaved parm.

My husband had his hands behind his back the other day
and whipped one of these out:

food as gifts.jpg

DH: Remember I gave you my last coupon awhile back and it was for a Meat Pie?
Me: Yes
DH: And do you remember that it didn't come out so well?
Me: Yes

002.JPG
003.JPG
(It was really awful!)

DH: Can we try it again?

:LOL:

Sure we can!

I took the last of my Cuban roast pork, diced it up, tossed it in a cast iron dutch oven with some bacon fat to fry. Then, I used the pork fat in the DO to sauté some onions and garlic. Then, it was back into the DO with the porky goodness, to which I added a couple cans of black beans, a little cumin, and two whole habanero peppers, with a couple of slits cut in the sides.

I am letting it all simmer now, and will taste it in 30 minutes, and pull the habaneros out if they have completed their mission.

So, tonight's supper is pork and beans, Cuban/Jamaican/Texas style.

CD

I ended up making split pea soup with ham. I wanted to put in oregano, but after going through all the spice cabinets, I realized we're out. Then came a head-smacking moment. Duh. I have tons of oregano growing out by the rhubarb!

Alfresco dining for the first time this year. Grilled steelhead trout with tarragon mustard, chopped bacon ranch salad, and avocado.

img_1510188_0_e10d0db0d408cb2cabe809fb76237d00.jpg

Last edited:
My mother used to keep the bone from a Honey Baked spiral cut ham and make split pea soup and ham after Easter. Wow. I only wish I could cook like that.

Those Honey Baked ham bones are the best! I'm afraid of my chest freezer, I'm sure there are some ham bones in it, but it would require a lot of digging.

I am still eating very little but I have to eat something. TB had his fast fry pork chops with baked potato, cucumbers & tomatoes.

So, I did a potato for me too and steamed cauliflower, broccoli and snap peas.

Nice looking dinners all around, gang! Steve, I see steelhead trout in the stores on sale regularly. How strong of a flavor does it have? From what I've found online, opinions range all over the park. I'm not much for strong-flavored fish.

I had plans. Then I took all those plans that were on the kitchen counter and put them back into the refrigerator for Monday. I decided I was pooped, hadn't had enough sleep, and Himself was on the clock. We ordered Chinese from a regular OK joint. I had stir-fry chicken with mixed veggies, egg roll, and pork fried rice combo platter. He had basically a combo appetizer: pork fried rice with egg roll, wings, BBQ boneless pork, and something else. It filled the hole.

Nice looking dinners all around, gang! Steve, I see steelhead trout in the stores on sale regularly. How strong of a flavor does it have? From what I've found online, opinions range all over the park. I'm not much for strong-flavored fish.
I like it myself. Personally, I find the flavor to be less pronounced than salmon. But, as with all fish, I think most of it just comes down to how fresh it is.

Back
Top Bottom