What's on the plate, mate? Sat, Feb. 18

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nice pies, rock. i like the idea of bacon with shrooms and pepperoni. i think i'd add onion, too.

we had sushi again tonight from the new place that didn't suck when we tried it last week.

dw and my boy had chicken teryaki bento boxes (salad, gyoza, california roll, rice. chicken and veggies in a delicious, smokey teryaki sauce), and i had the sushi deluxe and a yellowtail handroll. 2 pieces each of salmon, tuna, red snapper, monkfish, tamago, and a tuna roll and california roll.

it looks like this is going to be our new go-to sushi joint. it's easily $20 cheaper than the old place we used to frequent, and the fish is amazingly fresh.

Boeuf Bourguignon and I still have to figure out what to have with it.

I had some grilled vegis with the beef. I picked them up at the supermarket. Oh my, they were good. The boeuf bourguignon was pretty good too. It was more complicated to make than I had figured on. DH has come down with something, so he had no appetite. I made him some chicken soup. He didn't even want crackers with his soup. :ohmy: So, with DH not eating, there's plenty of beef left over.

I plan on eating out tonight. I'm not sure where or what....but I'm sitting down and having someone wait on me. :yum:

I had a very late lunch (3:30) at a Tex-Mex place and stuffed myself, so I didn't have dinner. I was still full at 8:00 at night.

lately i've been positively drooling over pizzas showcased by salt + pepper, andy m. and rock. so, do i have to buy a pizza stone? a perforated pizza pan, what--in order to get those kind of results in my kitchen? i don't even like any of the chain store pizzas any more, so i definitely need your help. have any suggestions for me?

lately i've been positively drooling over pizzas showcased by salt + pepper, andy m. and rock. so, do i have to buy a pizza stone? a perforated pizza pan, what--in order to get those kind of results in my kitchen? i don't even like any of the chain store pizzas any more, so i definitely need your help. have any suggestions for me?
I just use regular pizza pans and my oven goes up to 500. Actually, one of those pizzas was cooked on the bottom of a springform pan that I salvaged from a box of old kitchen pans....I fight the urge to overload the pizza, use sauce sparingly, and let it get fairly well done.

Do you have to buy a stone and perforated pan? Absolutely not.

Do they help you achieve the desired result? Absolutely!

You mentioned a deck oven on another thread. I would LOVE one! I'm talking the outdoor, wood fired variety.

It wouldn't be cheap, obviously (I think fire brick runs about a buck a piece, not sure what they clay ones are).

I've used a gas deck oven at 650 degrees and it makes a nice crust!

is it easier to make a wonderful thin crust pizza than one with a thicker crust? i like them any/all ways if done right.

Your dough has to have enough gluten developed to hold together and you have to be able to stretch it thin without breaking it.

Your dough has to have enough gluten developed to hold together and you have to be able to stretch it thin without breaking it.

And fire it hot and fast. There are pizzerias in Italy (can't remember the region) that cook their pies at 900 degrees for two minutes. Toppings are put on after the crust is removed.

That's why I want a brick oven!

Back
Top Bottom