"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 01-14-2015, 01:05 PM   #1
Executive Chef
What's on the plate this date, mate? 1-14-15

We'll be having crawfish mac & cheese. We will also give the cured duck pastrami Karen made a try. Still got a ways to go on the duck prosciutto.

Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:07 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
Poke chops and something.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:11 PM   #3
Senior Cook
Stuffed Pork Tenderloin.

Made some sauce to go with it which was awful.
Lives of great men all remind us we may make our life sublime.
Wyshiepoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:17 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Paprika chicken.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:42 PM   #5
Executive Chef
same thing as last night; corn bread tamale pie from the Joy of Cooking 1973 edition. This was interesting for me because I have made this recipe for 40 years but I made it yesterday with a southwestern slant. I used chile powder instead of chili powder and subbed medium hot green chilies for the green pepper. Big mistake. As I licked the spatula I knew the finished product was way too hot for my tastes. So along with the corn bread tamale pie I also served guacamole and sour cream, to dilute the hotness. It almost worked.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 02:20 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
A friend dropped off some multiple bean soup. The choice is cod and potato chowder or bean soup. Not sure which one I want, yet.
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 02:31 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Another cold day here, but at least it's sunny, which is not how it's been for several weeks. What IS that shiny thing up in the sky?!

Felt like a beef stew kind of day, so I threw the usual suspects into our huge, deep electric skillet and everyone is getting to know each other intimately.

With the stew we'll have fresh rosemary-olive oil bread and butter, iced tea and almond cake pops. With any luck there'll be leftovers.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 02:46 PM   #8
Executive Chef
We may be sitting at different tables, but Andy's and I are having "Poke chops and something."

I think my something is going to be rice and a veggie (broccoli or green beans) and I think an orange marmalade garlic ginger splash of Worcestershire glazed chop.
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:26 PM   #9
Senior Cook
Today is pizza, mushroom and onion for the wife and I, and for the kids I made spicy ham with pineapple and cherry bits... made them on the screens, I am really getting to like the screens for cooking pizza. Takes a bit of getting used to but after you get by the learning curve the finished product in a normal residential oven is nice...

Notes- don't hand press the pizza on the screen, oil and treat the screens before use, don't wash the screens, just wipe them off, wipe some oil on them before putting the dough on, no need to dock the pizza {I wouldn't dock it anyway since it will cause drips}...

Once you get used to that, you get an awesome bottom with out having to move cook the rest of the pizza.

Screens are also really cheap to buy and seem to last a long time, mine still look brand new, I bought these 6 for $22 http://www.amazon.com/New-Star-50974...2+pizza+screen
Cooking4to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 05:30 PM   #10
Executive Chef
Oops. I never have docked pizza dough. Do you mean poking fork holes in the middle of the crust, like you do with a pie shell? Anyway, I guess there's no loss since I didn't know this technique. I especially like crispy air pockets that randomly occur on the pizza edges.

I wonder if I could use this type of screen when baking pizza on the grill. I suppose a dedicated screen for grilling, as it probably wouldn't look pristine after a few times on the grill.

Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote