What's on the plate this date, mate? 1-14-15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
We'll be having crawfish mac & cheese. We will also give the cured duck pastrami Karen made a try. Still got a ways to go on the duck prosciutto.

Last edited:
same thing as last night; corn bread tamale pie from the Joy of Cooking 1973 edition. This was interesting for me because I have made this recipe for 40 years but I made it yesterday with a southwestern slant. I used chile powder instead of chili powder and subbed medium hot green chilies for the green pepper. Big mistake. As I licked the spatula I knew the finished product was way too hot for my tastes. So along with the corn bread tamale pie I also served guacamole and sour cream, to dilute the hotness. It almost worked.

A friend dropped off some multiple bean soup. The choice is cod and potato chowder or bean soup. Not sure which one I want, yet.

Another cold day here, but at least it's sunny, which is not how it's been for several weeks. What IS that shiny thing up in the sky?!

Felt like a beef stew kind of day, so I threw the usual suspects into our huge, deep electric skillet and everyone is getting to know each other intimately.

With the stew we'll have fresh rosemary-olive oil bread and butter, iced tea and almond cake pops. With any luck there'll be leftovers.

We may be sitting at different tables, but Andy's and I are having "Poke chops and something."

I think my something is going to be rice and a veggie (broccoli or green beans) and I think an orange marmalade garlic ginger splash of Worcestershire glazed chop.

Today is pizza, mushroom and onion for the wife and I, and for the kids I made spicy ham with pineapple and cherry bits... made them on the screens, I am really getting to like the screens for cooking pizza. Takes a bit of getting used to but after you get by the learning curve the finished product in a normal residential oven is nice...

Notes- don't hand press the pizza on the screen, oil and treat the screens before use, don't wash the screens, just wipe them off, wipe some oil on them before putting the dough on, no need to dock the pizza {I wouldn't dock it anyway since it will cause drips}...

Once you get used to that, you get an awesome bottom with out having to move cook the rest of the pizza.

Screens are also really cheap to buy and seem to last a long time, mine still look brand new, I bought these 6 for $22 http://www.amazon.com/New-Star-5097...d=1421270856&sr=8-3&keywords=16"+pizza+screen

Last edited:
Oops. I never have docked pizza dough. Do you mean poking fork holes in the middle of the crust, like you do with a pie shell? Anyway, I guess there's no loss since I didn't know this technique. I especially like crispy air pockets that randomly occur on the pizza edges.

I wonder if I could use this type of screen when baking pizza on the grill. I suppose a dedicated screen for grilling, as it probably wouldn't look pristine after a few times on the grill.

Finally made that Shrimp Pad Thai tonight.

img_1406464_0_d4b3c82092ef09dcb67ec912fe6d9c81.jpg

Sometimes I dock my pizza dough; sometimes I don't, but I've never had any sauce leak through any of the docking holes.

I have a large plastic/silicone roller with points that I use to dock my pizza dough and other pastries. Perhaps it doesn't "poke" as vigorously as a fork does.

The "Mac" is in the oven. I cut some thin slices of the duck pastrami for tasting, oh wow! We have a meal using it as a prime ingredient, I'll post pics then. We need to delve deeper into Charcuterie! So far everything has been outstanding!:yum:

Steve! :ohmy: Great pic, that looks so good. Do you have a recipe to share? Or point me in the right direction if you already posted it and I missed it? TIA. :)

Chicken soft tacos here tonight, sliced avocado on the side.

Sometimes I dock my pizza dough; sometimes I don't, but I've never had any sauce leak through any of the docking holes.

I have a large plastic/silicone roller with points that I use to dock my pizza dough and other pastries. Perhaps it doesn't "poke" as vigorously as a fork does.

I use this docker http://www.amazon.com/Update-Intern...h+docker&pebp=1421288968257&peasin=B002NQIZOC

and I do 16" pizzas, so when I do a 24oz dough, I can dock it with no leakage, BUT if I do a thin crust and use my electric dough sheeter, say a 12 oz dough for 16" pizza with a good sized crust, you can almost see through that pizza, when I use the docker the pizza has sauce spots on the stone when I remove it..

So it all depends on the thickness and docker itself.. I HATE bubbles in my pizza, I like nice uniform flat pizzas, I dont like them big burnt cheeseless bubbles sticking out of the sauce. Plus who ever gets that slice gets a piece of burnt bread in the middle of their slice.

If I had a brick oven or super pizza oven built into my kitchen I probably wouldn't use screens, but with a std or convection unit sometimes its tough to get a nice dark bottom without over heating the top, with the screens you can get a nice bottom and not overcook the top and burn too much color into your cheese...

For the comment about the grille, I use a preheated stone for the grill, you get the opposite problem, the bottom is too dark and the top too light, I use a stone and the bottom is about as dark as the top when its done, with a tin pan the bottom is burnt so with a screen I am sure it will be worse...

I have done grilled pizza right on the grates, but I am not crazy about the results, the trick I learned for that is, get the grill super hot, bury the thermometer. Then put the pie on the grates, and turn the heat way down, close the lid and let it cook with the burner down low...

Just sat and shivered on the couch today while the guys fixed the heater, including a few issues, which fortunately didn't cost any more than the estimate. Temperature hovered around 34F and it drizzled all day. So we ordered pizza.

We had barbequed ribs started in the oven and finished on the grill outside. The perfect side was Cheryl's salad made with Meyer lemon instead of lime juice because it's what I had.
Cheryl, please post your recipe in the salad forum as it's just too wonderful to get lost. Perfect with ribs!!

img_1406490_0_c068f34129d3d8a1762aeb4512aa8044.jpg

cured duck pastrami .... duck prosciutto.

I may be asking more about that once I finally actually cook a duck. DH has always been resistant to dark meat, but I think I've finally turned him.

A glass of wine and the last of the gingerbread pudding cake tonight. Had a late lunch at the Mexican place...spinach enchiladas, rice and beans. Still stuffed.

I poke my fingernails into my pizza dough when I pat it out and it never leaks...does that count as docking? A peasant cook I am....:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom