"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 09-20-2012, 10:18 AM   #41
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
It's in the Makai Na Bharta, not in the lamb dish.
OK I'm losing it.

Interesting that the lamb recipe gave you the components for a garam masala while the corn recipe gave you the mixture.

If you have all the spices for the lamb dish, you can make your own GM as needed.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
OK I'm losing it.

Interesting that the lamb recipe gave you the components for a garam masala while the corn recipe gave you the mixture.

If you have all the spices for the lamb dish, you can make your own GM as needed.
I've been meaning to mix up some GM, but I want to use up the store bought stuff first. Do you have a GM recipe that you really like? If not, it's easy enough for me to Google one.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:39 AM   #43
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I've been meaning to mix up some GM, but I want to use up the store bought stuff first. Do you have a GM recipe that you really like? If not, it's easy enough for me to Google one.
I don't have a recipe.

The other side of what I said in the last post is this. You can use GM in place of all the component spices in the lamb curry.

Note that the quantities of spices in the lamb is a lot more than what's in the corn dish. You could probably increase the GM in the corn dish.

Side note: When my Indian neighbor gave me her recipe for tandoori chicken, she estimated the quantities as she never measures. After a couple of failures, I asked her to come over and watch while I made the recipe. She had seriously underestimated the quantities of the masala I was using. She had estimated 2-3 teaspoons and we ended up using 3 tablespoons - over triple the amount.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:31 AM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I don't have a recipe.

The other side of what I said in the last post is this. You can use GM in place of all the component spices in the lamb curry.

Note that the quantities of spices in the lamb is a lot more than what's in the corn dish. You could probably increase the GM in the corn dish.

Side note: When my Indian neighbor gave me her recipe for tandoori chicken, she estimated the quantities as she never measures. After a couple of failures, I asked her to come over and watch while I made the recipe. She had seriously underestimated the quantities of the masala I was using. She had estimated 2-3 teaspoons and we ended up using 3 tablespoons - over triple the amount.
Good point that the garam masala could be used instead of the freshly ground spices.

I have been working on Indian cooking off and on for a while. I don't "get" Indian cooking yet. I have to follow recipes carefully. My biggest success was probably a pork vindaloo. The food turns out good, but never good like at a decent Indian restaurant.

I think I will try following the recipe in the video that Bolas posted, the one from Titly's kitchen. Obviously, she "gets" Indian cooking. Maybe I should just keep trying the same one or two dishes until I can make them turn out really good.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
Sliced and sautÚd some chicken artichoke and mozzarella sausages with some onion, garlic and roasted red pepper added some 1/2 & 1/2, a big glob of sour cream and some Parmesan cheese. I don't Have a name for it, but it was yummy!
SB, that all sounds wonderful
Old 09-20-2012, 04:29 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
Corned beef, red potatoes and cabbage and carrot salad

MM, another fine looking meal
Old 09-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #47
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
MM, another fine looking meal