What's on the table, Mable? Thursday Jan 9th?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LPBeier

Certified Cake Maniac
Moderator Emeritus
I think I will do a salmon filet today, baked with lemon and dill. Sides will be brown rice with green beans for me and peas for TB. If I am energetic I may make a "faux hollandaise" that fits all our dietary challenges. Not sure how, but I love a project! :chef:

What are you having today?

Last edited:
I have no idea yet.... and in G it's almost time for dinner, a quarter to six p.m....
had a Hotdog at Ikea and so I'm not really hungry...
I think I'll search for food or maybe just have some bread...

SO's sister is here from FL. Hoping to do a pot roast tonight.

Slight change in plans. I'm power defrosting a boneless chuck roast. Instead of pot roast, I'm making stracoto with porcini mushrooms. I'll serve this over mashed potatoes or egg noodles.

I'm in search of inspiration. Have shrimp, haddock and scallops in the freezer. Anyone with a brilliant crockpot recipe perhaps, that uses one or more of the above?

I'm in search of inspiration. Have shrimp, haddock and scallops in the freezer. Anyone with a brilliant crockpot recipe perhaps, that uses one or more of the above?

I have recipes, just not for a slow cooker. Besides, most seafood would be beyond way over cooked using one, IMO.

I have no idea yet.... and in G it's almost time for dinner, a quarter to six p.m....
had a Hotdog at Ikea and so I'm not really hungry...
I think I'll search for food or maybe just have some bread...

While searching I came up against the huge carrots and found some risotto rice, so I tried them both together... was okay, but not the best you can have...

Attachments

• 2014-01-09 Risotto con carote_kl.JPG
    2014-01-09 Risotto con carote_kl.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 175

I agree with Craig. The slow cooker is no place for fish and seafood. They cook in just minutes. You can go simple by sautéing them and serving with tartar and cocktail sauces or do something like a mixed seafood curry like Harry does.

I took some sliced brisket out of the freezer. I'll have that with some mashed potatoes and an onion gravy. Broccoli on the side. Or I go out to the store, mushroom gravy.

I agree with Craig. The slow cooker is no place for fish and seafood. They cook in just minutes. You can go simple by sautéing them and serving with tartar and cocktail sauces or do something like a mixed seafood curry like Harry does.

Aren't there any slow cooker recipes where the seafood is added at the end?

Yes, I suspected the crockpot might not be the best method but am becoming bored of all my usual fish and seafood speedy methods...and I have just received a crockpot as a gift, so it's my indulgence right now. I was wondering if there might be some jambalaya type recipes that might work?

I have noticed some chowder recipes but fancy something a little more substantial.

They really aren't any better than just putting it in at the beginning. Fish and slow cooking are not to go together.

I have no idea. It wouldn't occur to me to put fish or seafood in the slow cooker, so I wouldn't look for a recipe like that.

I wouldn't think there is that much difference from simmering a stock on the stovetop and simmering it in a slow cooker. Just because you are cooking most of the food for hours doesn't mean the seafood has to be in for that amount of time.
Here's one for jambalaya Colleen's Slow Cooker Jambalaya Recipe - Allrecipes.com
Although it never occurred to me to use a slow cooker either, but that doesn't mean it can't be done or is automatically going to overcook the seafood. It all depends on when you put the seafood in. :chef:

This morning I pot roasted a bottom round roast in V8 juice with carrots, celery and onions.

I'm more excited about the leftovers than the pot roast! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I'm looking forward to some roast beast hash and a small pot of vegetable beef with barley soup! :yum:

I wouldn't think there is that much difference from simmering a stock on the stovetop and simmering it in a slow cooker. Just because you are cooking most of the food for hours doesn't mean the seafood has to be in for that amount of time.
Here's one for jambalaya Colleen's Slow Cooker Jambalaya Recipe - Allrecipes.com
Although it never occurred to me to use a slow cooker either, but that doesn't mean it can't be done or is automatically going to overcook the seafood. It all depends on when you put the seafood in. :chef:

Did you mean to say "simmering a stock" or something else?

I didn't say it couldn't be done - just that it never occurred to me. It's so easy to overcook seafood that I wouldn't want to risk ruining a relatively pricy dish.

That recipe also calls for adding boneless chicken breast at the beginning of the cooking time, which I wouldn't do. And in my experience, bell peppers are cooked to mush in a slow cooker. I really only use mine for things like pulled pork, caramelized onions and apple butter. As always, YMMV.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom