What's on your bagel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I make a simple spread of smoked salmon, creme cheese, onion, maybe some capers, lemon juice. All sread on an onion or sesame or poppy seed bagel. Blueberry bagels with butter also work for me.

My hands-down favorite is an onion or garlic encrusted bagel with either lox & cream cheese or a good lox-&-cream cheese spread (where bits of lox are incorporated into the cream cheese).

Ok ChefJune, you just brought something back to my mind. Back in the day, during our lake trips, we always brought onion bagels/cream cheese/capers/red onions/Norwegian lox/tomatoes and that was breakfast. Even our total of 6 kids loved and looked forward to. Sort of a tradition back then. Gone are the days.........

I just got back from the store. As I was standing there waiting for them to package my mussels, I remembered this thread and looked for "lox". I saw four different packages of thin cut smoked salmon, but none said lox. Is that a regional name or slang? Or, dare I say, is it canned?

Smoked salmon will work. I truly don't know the difference. I always thought it was a matter of the lox being brined and NOT smoked... Someone else will have to weigh in here.

I MUCH prefer smoked salmon as the few times I have had what was called lox it was a bit too salty for me. So...the smoked salmon would have been fine.

ke, I was going by that wiki link GB posted. It said lox was cured salmon, usually brined, but can also be smoked. I didn't see any brined salmon at the seafood counter, just smoked. And that's all the packaging said, smoked.
Not that I was going to get any, but I was looking for something that said "lox" anyway.

ke, I was going by that wiki link GB posted. It said lox was cured salmon, usually brined, but can also be smoked. I didn't see any brined salmon at the seafood counter, just smoked. And that's all the packaging said, smoked.
Not that I was going to get any, but I was looking for something that said "lox" anyway.

Ah - I didn't see that link nor check out Wiki. The salmon won't actually be in a brine when you buy it - it's already out. I think it will simply say "lox".

I just got back from the store. As I was standing there waiting for them to package my mussels, I remembered this thread and looked for "lox". I saw four different packages of thin cut smoked salmon, but none said lox. Is that a regional name or slang? Or, dare I say, is it canned?

It is NOT canned! and it is not a regional name, as far as I know. In Jewish delis, the best is from the belly of the salmon. It is the fattest and the tastiest!

No one ever told me this, but Scandinavians cure their salmon in a manner that is called "Gravad Lox" or "Gravlax" I've long guessed that the name "lox" came from that. No? :huh:

Lox IS cured salmon, but not usually brined, as I know it. It's cured with a rub that is left to sit for several hours. The stuff in the rub cures or "cooks" the salmon.

not canned. they're in the plastic packaged filmy sealed vacuumed packed thingie. sliced paper thin.
take a looksie here, you'll more get the idea

Attachments

• Cold_Smoked_Lox_Wild_Coho_Salmon_200_Gram_summ.jpg
    Cold_Smoked_Lox_Wild_Coho_Salmon_200_Gram_summ.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 52
  • Cold_Smoked_Lox_Wild_Coho_Salmon_300_Gram.jpg
    Cold_Smoked_Lox_Wild_Coho_Salmon_300_Gram.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 59
not canned. they're in the plastic packaged filmy sealed vacuumed packed thingie. sliced paper thin.
take a looksie here, you'll more get the idea

1. that's if you don't go to a deli for them The fresh stuff is not in any shrink wrapped package! :ermm:
2. All smoked salmon is NOT Lox. The product in that picture did not look anything like lox, altho no doubt it was smoked salmon.

KE there are two types of lox, belly and nova. Belly is VERY salty (think anchovies). Nova is much more mild. Both are delicious.

1. that's if you don't go to a deli for them The fresh stuff is not in any shrink wrapped package! :ermm:
2. All smoked salmon is NOT Lox. The product in that picture did not look anything like lox, altho no doubt it was smoked salmon.

And that's what the stuff at the seafood counter looked like. Plus, I can't read the whole packaging in that pic, but I can see the one on the right says, smoked salmon. I don't see lox emblazened anywhere.

My guess, since the closest city to me is Erie, and Erie doesn't have any delis that I know of..... We are "lox deprived" :(

And to keep this on topic..... the one fresh bagel shop we had went out of business.

Now why don't you come out of your shell and say what's really on your mind.
WHOA! I should have mentioned I've also gotten it at the deli counter, what ruffled your feathers today CJ? I guess it was me:huh:

Alrighty folks, just got to work and saw this.
I have 25 different bagels and a sandwich cart we lovongly refer to ask the S.S. sandwich at my disposal.
Taking orders.....
I'm gonna have a jalapeno bagel the instant my first bake is done and find the olive cream cheese.......

;)I love any kind of bagel but I really love the everything bagel poppy seeds, sesame seeds, onion, garlic. I love a really good toasted bagel with nothing more than cream cheese another favorite is cream cheese, fresh tomato slices with a bit of salt and pepper,sliced onion and sprouts or lettuce. If I want to get more on it I will add some fresh avocado slices or guacamole do not care for the lox.They also make a good sandwhich. I used to work in a tiny bakery in my mid 20s and made bagels from scratch and hand rolled them .One batch would make 120 bagels I got so good I either made 120 or 121 or 119 no less no more and that was not using a scale to meashure dough but just feel. Lots of practice to get there.;)

Back
Top Bottom