What's on your menu 8/29/10?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Baked potatoes topped with diced left-over ham steak, cheese, and steamed broccoli, and side salads.

Since there are two of us, I try to get the most use out of the coals when I load up the barbecue pit (oh, not the right word these days ... charcoal grill?). I started with potatoes and onions in foil (with a chunk of frozen butter) and another packet of onions with olive oil and garlic. Added halves of zucchini and eggplant, drizzled with olive oil and seasoned with my favorite Greek blend seasoning. Then a flank steak, marinaded in my favorite "kal-bi/bulgogi) -type mix. As they finished, I took off the veggies and turned the onions, eggplant, and squash, adding a few fresh-from-the-vine tomatoes, into my own version of rattatouille. As the steak was sitting, I seasoned some frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I do not thaw first) with some Penzey's tandoori seasoning I've been meaning to experiment with, on the top rack, closed it, sliced the steak, and got dinner on the table. After eating, the chicken comes off the grill, into a foil wrap to finish cooking/cooling on the kitchen counter.

I now have steak for crying tiger, chop chae, steak sandwiches, whatever. The ratatouille will get tossed with angel hair, or warmed and put on a bed of lettuce for a Med salad. The chicken will be sliced and served with some pre-made curry-type dishes.

Voila! Dinner for the week, and a lunch or three as well, not to mention delicious dinner.

I love food cooked over a fire!

Dinner was Breaded & fried eggplant, linguine with meatballs and spinach salad. (Eggplant parm got veto'd, but I have some left over so maybe tomorrow)

img_917180_0_300ef27c8fd487f45fa903f402534fa0.jpg

We had rotisserie chicken, sesame noodles (my current go-to), and fresh cantaloupe. It was good for a summer night!

I had black tea with mint to drink. Refreshing.

~Kathleen

We had rotisserie chicken, sesame noodles (my current go-to), and fresh cantaloupe. It was good for a summer night!

I had black tea with mint to drink. Refreshing.

~Kathleen
OH NO!! Another noodle addict!!

My mom had a whole garden of peppermint, spearmint and wintergreen. When I was a kid she always made mint tea and she also sliced zukes thin, fried the slices in olive oil then put them in a bowl covered with fresh olive oil and mint leaves. Let sit overnight in fridge, eat with crusty bread.
Sorry your mint tea brought back memories.

Last edited:
OH NO!! Another noodle addict!!

My mom had a whole garden of peppermint, spearmint and wintergreen. When I was a kid she always made mint tea and she also sliced zukes thin, fried the slices in olive oil then put them in a bowl covered with fresh olive oil and mint leaves. Let sit overnight in fridge, eat with crusty bread.
Sorry your mint tea brought back memories.

I think she is a charter member.

I've been eating those noodles all summer! :)

Thanks for sharing the memory. How much mint did she use? It sounds good!

Last edited:
I've been eating those noodles all summer!

Thanks for sharing the memory. How much mint did she use? It sounds good.
Hmmmmmmmmm I didn't like it so much but she LOVED zukes that way. Let me think ............... for 1 med zuke maybe 5 or 6 leaves (chiffonade) but its all to your taste. She loved the mint flavor.

Ahi Tuna Burgers.....seared to rare,

with portabella slices saute in butter and a reduced balsamic glaze on top of the tuna.

Macaroni salad, and cucumber, onion salad with rice wine vinegar and Splenda.

I too, am on the wagon to stay away from Sesame Noodles. I hope to reach a goal of mid Sept. :LOL:

Chicken, veggie and noodle soup. Made from scratch, I'm starting to feel better, but my digestion is still iffy. But homemade beats the cartons I was heating up earlier in the week.

This.

My girlfriend (Michelle) and I went down to the market yesterday and came back with 8 plump fresh tomatoes, fresh thai basil, fresh scallions, tofu and straw mushrooms. 2 hours of cooking over an electric hot plate in a tiny kitchen that is what emerged. It was actually very good :)

The fresh produce here is excellent, and those tomatoes were delicious. I think I over cooked the scallions though. I put them in at the beginning with the tomatoes and the garlic, and they'd lost all their color and turned a little brown by the end. So when I posted the recipe I changed it to have them go in later.

Back
Top Bottom