What's on your menu Wednesday, March 28th?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
It is a cold, rainy day. So I've pulled wild rice out of the freezer (I always cook a big enough batch to freeze some so it is ready on the fly). I'm planning a cream of wild rice and chicken soup. I'll grill the chicken breast and add mushrooms, leek, corn, and don't know what else. What are you making?

I have a piece of beef I am going to stew up. I think I will drop in to the LCBO and grab a nice bottle of dark beer and do up some Carbonade Flamande and serve it with boiled potatoes and carrots.

I'm probably going to have leftover taco meat lasagna.

I've got so much food on hand I haven't even figured out what to make with it all.

I braised the pork shoulder blade yesterday, 8.87#. I stripped the meat off the blade and put it all in a gallon baggie so I'll be breaking it down today into meal size portions and freezing. It literally fell apart when I tried to get it out of the pan - super tender.

I got 3 cups of braising liquid, so I'll probably start a pot of beans with that, plus the stock I made from the turkey necks.

I'll also be updating my freezer inventory today, so I can see what I've got, and can do some planning of things to make.

I'll be taking it easy today after all the hands and knees scrubbing, stripping wax. I got much of it done, but will have to take a break until my back stops yelling at me.

Last edited:
Spaghetti Alla Puttanesca di Luca & Green Salad

Wednesday ...

Ciao,

Spaghetti alla Puttanesca di Luca and a green salad --- a glass of Prosecco and some fab warm oven crusty baguette to dip into the tomato sauce ...

Margi.

Just Plain Bill,

Firstly, nice to see that you are having Pasta al Genovese ...

I had commented on your post for a Cream Clam Chowder however, have not heard from you --- I prefer MANHATTAN CLAM CHOWDER and u have a recipe !!!

Could you provide me with the recipe at your convenience ?

Thanks so much.

Give Luca´s Spaghetti alla Puttanesca di Luca a try !!! I have made, however, his recipe is same however, I had forgotten the sauce part, and his is better than a marinara !!!

Regards, Margi.

Last edited:
A shipment of fresh Artichokes from California has arrived at the co-op, so we'll have Artichokes along with our Steak Fondue tonight.

Funny, all this talk of puttanesca is making me hungry for it. May have that tomorrow. Or maybe some penne all'arrabbiata...

A shipment of fresh Artichokes from California has arrived at the co-op, so we'll have Artichokes along with our Steak Fondue tonight.

Funny, all this talk of puttanesca is making me hungry for it. May have that tomorrow. Or maybe some penne all'arrabbiata...
There must be something wrong with me, I only eat a pasta-based dish about once every 2-3 months. But, I have saved this one for when I have too many tomatoes in the garden because it does sound delish!

Going light tonight. Tuna, artichoke, provalone melts over toasted English muffins. Fruit salad for dessert.

Just Plain Bill,

Firstly, nice to see that you are having Pasta al Genovese ...

I had commented on your post for a Cream Clam Chowder however, have not heard from you --- I prefer MANHATTAN CLAM CHOWDER and u have a recipe !!!

Could you provide me with the recipe at your convenience ?

Thanks so much.

Give Luca´s Spaghetti alla Puttanesca di Luca a try !!! I have made, however, his recipe is same however, I had forgotten the sauce part, and his is better than a marinara !!!

Regards, Margi.

MANHATTAN STYLE CLAM CHOWDER (2+ litri)

50 Small (Thumbnail size) Vongole
2 etti streaky smoked bacon, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
3 medium sized yellow onions, coarsely chopped
1 bay leaf, crumbled
1 or 2 green bell peppers, thinly sliced
700 grams chopped peeled ripe plum tomatoes
1 clove garlic, chopped
6 medium sized (600 grams) potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3 tablespoons minced parsley
1 1/2 tsp. thyme
1 litre of chicken broth

Place scrubbed vongole in 6 litre kettle with 750 ml. of boiling water.
Cover kettle and steam until vongole open (about 5 minutes).
Remove vongole and save broth.
Fry bacon to draw fat, add celery, onions, and green peppers.
Add 4 - 5 tsp. flour to the bacon, celery, onion, green peppers and mix thoroughly.
Add garlic, then tomatoes, potatoes, thyme, bay leaf, vongole broth, and chicken broth.
Stir, cover, and simmer for about 45 minutes (until potatoes are tender).
Add black pepper, vongole, and parsley.
Stir and serve.
I like it better refrigerated and reheated the next day.

buon apetit

Last edited:
Hoping to pick up some items at the Whole Foods that just opened today.

I am about to start breakfast before we head out for a ride to the other side of the island and visit the beautiful Hanalei Bay where they filmed the movie South Pacific. Ieven brought along a CD of the music for our rented red Mustang convertable.

Sadly this will be our last nigt on Kauaii, so dinner tonight will be reservations.

Just Plain Bill,

You are a thanked a million times ... Grazie ... Yes, we are about to have Luca´s Pasta Puttanesca, so I am going to say, Buon Apetit to you too and have nice evening.

Happy Easter Holidays.
Margi.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom