What's on your plate, mate? Tues 6/28/2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Kroll

Wine Guy
I bought a wild boar roast at HyVee over the weekend. Being a boar virgin, I wasn't quite sure what to do with it. But it seemed to be nothing more than pig, so I treated it like any other pork loin roast and slathered it with garlic, olive oil, and rosemary before sticking it in the oven. It came out tender and juicy. :yum:

Oh, and that's fried zuke hiding behind the pig.

img_1471235_0_b26db1d9f5114ca6796e9e2892148b04.jpg

6.28.16, Tuesday, what's for dinner?

We had home grown tomatoes with burrata, marinated mushies, honey kiss melon with prosciutto. We'd never tried the honey kiss melon before. It was good, very sweet.

Last edited by a moderator:
We're entertaining our grandson so a kid friendly meal is in order. Spaghetti with meatballs & sausages is on the menu today

Boar is good. I find it beefy. I like to serve it with a sweet side like a chutney or a sauce with Madeira or Sherry type spirit....I'd eat it more often but it isn't really available around here. I can bring it in the deli through a supplier but then I have to buy a case and last time I did that, it didn't sell and I sat on it for a few months...yours looks good.

That looks lovely Steve!

Today being the 28th, which is a a day after the 27th where both the cable and the phone bill come due.... I am probably going to raid the freezer.

I have some portioned meatballs from the last time ground beef was on sale, thinking of them, improvise some kind of sauce, serve over rice or maybe pasta? I like the look of those zukes, and I have a couple in the crisper, so they will come into play I think... hmnnn. Wife isn't home for two hours, so I have some time to plot.

Good looking dinner, Steve. :yum:

I'll be having a simple shrimp and asparagus stir fry this evening, might add some spinach to it.

I'm still swooning over that garlic shrimp I made on Sunday. It was supposed to make 2 large or 4 small servings. I ate the entire pound myself. So I was considering making that again tonight, but....I am out of garlic. So I took out some of the petite sirloin I'd picked up on sale and it's thawing now. I'm thinking of slicing it, coating it with a marinade, and just letting it cook in the oven at 200° for about 45 minutes and having half done beef jerky.

Unless I can find something else to do with it.

.....I'll be having a simple shrimp and asparagus stir fry this evening, might add some spinach to it.

Small (on a salad plate) but quick and delicious dinner. Stir fried in a little peanut oil with garlic, ginger and onion, and loaded up on a bed of baby spinach.

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 175
Another night of LOW walleye, salad, and Brusselsprouts. That's all the walleye for now, tomorrow I'm making Bergen Fish Soup using the walleye stock I made at The Lake and the last three fillets from that package. I have 4 more walleye in the freezer. I will be heading back up to LOW sometime in July to fish again.

Small (on a salad plate) but quick and delicious dinner. Stir fried in a little peanut oil with garlic, ginger and onion, and loaded up on a bed of baby spinach.

Cheryl, that looks wonderful!

Eager to hear about its taste and comparison to regular pork.

Just like Rock said, it's almost more like beef or venison than pork. Very lean meat. Definitely not something you'd want to overcook.

We got to babysit little Cheyenne all day, so we had dinner out before heading for home. Our favorite little cafe had a special of the day of "Scallops in Dijon cream sauce" and it was actually perfectly cooked.
Two nights in a row of us eating out is rare.

Your meals look delicious Steve and Cheryl!

Thank you kindly, Steve and Kay. :)

Kay, how fun to get to spend a day with Cheyenne. Scallops have been sounding SO good to me, but I've been disappointed in the quality at our local stores lately. Glad you had a great meal!

I made a tuna salad with lime vinaigrette and capers, served in avocado halves...it was wonderful!

Back
Top Bottom