What's on your plate Sunday, 9/20/15?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
We're finally having our pizza and trying out Craig's new toy on the Weber. Forgot to make up the no-knead dough AGAIN, so started my usual dough a little bit ago. Also started a biga for some Genoa-style focaccia to be cooked after the pizzas are done. Margherita, pepperoni and a TBD pies today.

It is going to be too hot to cook again today, but have two Ready-Pac salads in the fridge and I bought 3 containers of Organic Girl salad greens yesterday; baby greens, 50/50 baby greens and baby spinach and Super Greens consisting of baby red chard, baby tatsoi, baby spinach, baby green swiss chard, and baby arugula. I will make myself a nice big salad, and then order a pizza from Ameci Pizza & Pasta.

I cleaned out the freezer a couple days ago, and discovered some rotisserie chicken carcasses along with a couple bags of cut up vegetables. Made stock yesterday. Freezing some, the rest I'm using for chicken soup tonight. Threw in some leftover roasted carrots and chopped onion, will add some Mexican noodles.

GG, we have a large Hispanic population here, and our grocery stores are well-stocked with Mexican ingredients. The brand I use is Moderna. They call their pasta "Fideo", it comes in various shapes, like tiny stars, little noodles, and what I'm using, fideo nests. It's all made in Mexico from semolina. It cooks up really quick in soup!

Last edited:
Surpriingly, SO requested tuna noodle casserole. I said OK, and she proceeded to tell me how to make it. I replied that she could make dinner tonight. I'll try not to sit there and critique.

GG, we have a large Hispanic population here, and our grocery stores are well-stocked with Mexican ingredients. The brand I use is Moderna. They call their pasta "Fideo", it comes in various shapes, like tiny stars, little noodles, and what I'm using, fideo nests. It's all made in Mexico from semolina. It cooks up really quick in soup!

I use those. I love the aisles in the stores that have all the ethnic products. Safeway just started carrying Goya stuffed green olives. They are really great tasting . If it's 'new' I'll try it!

+1 FF!
Our "Hispanic Aisle" has loads of spices and herbs, uber cheap.
I buy alot of my basic stuff, like Thyme, Rosemary, etc. for less than a dollar.
They are packed in cellophane bags, I take them home and stash them in glass spice jars my Mom gave me one year for christmas. I asked her just a dozen, she sent me a case!
But ya know this saves use a lot of money, rather than paying $4+ for the same amount of cinnamon.

I think at this point, the entire country has a large Hispanic population ;) I have a Mexican grocery store nearby, as well as a sizable Hispanic foods aisle at Kroger. I'll have to look for those.

Sorry, no MEX tonight.............Soft shell crab sand w/ wasabi mayo. Reversed sear rib eye w/ stuffed mushrooms. Then caramel cheesecake.

img_1437332_0_769e05b18b2fea67c9a3c09488b868eb.jpg

img_1437332_1_2d3cc3149ddd28fc55dac5e0195b3869.jpg

img_1437332_2_b8fe7ff8803e1298747d52eb5be1e5c9.jpg

Last edited:
I made pot o' pig and boiled potatoes. Stirling made rødkål (Danish red cabbage). I have made changes to the pot o' pig recipe. I should update it here. We had homemade strawberry ice cream for dessert. It was my second try with the recipe from the instruction booklet that came with the ice cream maker. Believe it or not, it was better with half as much strawberry. Maybe that's 'cause the organic strawberries I use have so much flavour.

12020055_10156082745595191_1446872014050966352_n.jpg

12049643_10156082742345191_6680974951352889228_n.jpg

Wow...great looking dinners, Joey and Taxy!

Joey, how do you reverse sear....is it with sous vide? I'm so used to searing first on the grill and so set in my ways - I'd be afraid of overcooking with the reverse method. But yours look lovely. :yum:

I had a tuna sandwich on rye and a fruit salad this evening. :chef: :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom