What's on your plate this St. Urho's Day (2015-03-16)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
Being that it is Monday, and St. Urho's Day, I should be eating purple and green, but instead I'm playing with this:

http://iamafoodblog.com/crispy-sriracha-honey-lime-tofu-recipe/

My plan is to marinate the tofu and then smoke it on the stove top using a technique I came across. Probably make a beet and grapefruit salad since I have beets and grapefruit to use up.

Last edited:
We're actually celebrating that other Saint's day tonight with the obligatory corned beef and cabbage. Up until a few days ago, I had been planning to make my favorite lamb stew when Mrs. K suddenly said, "Why don't we have corned beef instead? We haven't had that in years."

Well! I thought it was an odd request coming from her, since 1.) she has never liked corned beef and 2.) she has always liked cabbage even less. :rolleyes:

I think this change is due in part to a recent revelation that German red cabbage is not the horrible dish she once imagined it to be. When she actually went back and had seconds a few weeks ago, you could've knocked me over with a feather. When she reheated some of the cabbage leftovers the next day for lunch, I knew she was a convert. Now if I can get daughter on board, we may be able to have it more than a couple of times a year.

Corned beef and cabbage etc...

This year I baked the corned beef with the spice packet and a few other odds and ends wrapped in heavy aluminum foil at 350 for a couple of hours.

I'm roasting a chicken, stuffing it with shallot and lemon. Not sure of the seasoning on the outside, but thinking something simple like garlic and sage. Tossing some carrots in the oven too, and maybe a red potato or two cut up and oiled and seasoned.

Out thermometer hit 50! today, so of course we'll be having salad. :)

I think this change is due in part to a recent revelation that German red cabbage is not the horrible dish she once imagined it to be. When she actually went back and had seconds a few weeks ago, you could've knocked me over with a feather. When she reheated some of the cabbage leftovers the next day for lunch, I knew she was a convert. Now if I can get daughter on board, we may be able to have it more than a couple of times a year.
Yeah, German or Danish red cabbage isn't like regular cooked cabbage. I have served it to friends and several of them said, "This is delicious and I hate cooked cabbage."

Stirling is off to a role playing game where they will order pizza. I will probably have some of the lasagna leftover from yesterday.

Well it was called Harvest Home Casserole. Belly pork with onion, green pepper (capsicum), courgettes (zucchini), mushroom. Thing is, it was cooked in a pan on the hob. I have always thought that when that sort of thing is cooked on the hob it is a stew. A casserole is cooked in the oven.

Anyone agree?

Anyway, tasted really nice did it with champ and buttered carrots.

We're actually celebrating that other Saint's day tonight with the obligatory corned beef and cabbage...
I have to say this came out really good. Rather than the boiling that the package recommended (which I suspect would only boil out any flavor), I instead browned it and braised in the oven at 225F with a little white wine for about 5 hours until it was falling apart tender. The cabbage was cooked in the pan juices with kale and bacon.

I think Mrs. K is now a corned beef and cabbage convert. Mission accomplished! :chef:

img_1413594_0_138d1f6081d6b48815038818a93a83f9.jpg

Last edited:
Well it was called Harvest Home Casserole. Belly pork with onion, green pepper (capsicum), courgettes (zucchini), mushroom. Thing is, it was cooked in a pan on the hob. I have always thought that when that sort of thing is cooked on the hob it is a stew. A casserole is cooked in the oven.

Anyone agree?

Anyway, tasted really nice did it with champ and buttered carrots.

A stew is bite sized pieces of vegetables with or without meat, submerged in a liquid and simmer low and slow.

Casseroles tend to have less liquid (could be eaten with a fork).

I love the stuff and could easily eat it weekly. :yum:
If you like red cabbage that much, make it up in a big batch. It keeps in the fridge for months and nukes really well. It is also an excellent sandwich garnish. We usually try to get a big red cabbage when we want to make this.

@ Andy M

From Wikipedia (we know they are always right don't we?)

A distinction can be made between casseroles and stews: stewing is a cooking process whereby heat is applied to the bottom of the cooking vessel (typically over a fire or on a stove), whereas casserole cooking is generally done in an oven to bake where heat circulates all around the cooking vessel.

I'm surprised no one questioned St. Urho's Day.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=St+U...8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7PLXB_enCA630&gws_rd=ssl

My Mom's b'day is the 16th--she is not Irish (although she is Swedish...maybe a bit of Finnish mixed in??? who knows), so we always celebrated St. Uhro's day. Even though she hates the colour purple (maybe I was swapped for another baby girl at the hospital), we still celebrated St. Uhro's Day--actually, we celebrate our b'days from my uncle's birthday on the 18th of February to my mom's on the 16th--it was a fun month +.

@ Andy M

From Wikipedia (we know they are always right don't we?)

A distinction can be made between casseroles and stews: stewing is a cooking process whereby heat is applied to the bottom of the cooking vessel (typically over a fire or on a stove), whereas casserole cooking is generally done in an oven to bake where heat circulates all around the cooking vessel.

Sorry, this definition makes little sense to me. By this definition, a steak in a skillet on the stovetop is stewing and a roast of beef in a roasting pan in the oven is a casserole.

Also from Wikipedia:

Stew - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Casserole - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actually, I think Wyshie's is a pretty accurate description of the difference and the one I see most often, however, I think it also needs to be qualified as follows. This definition is from Delia Online:

Stewing is done on the top of a cooker with heat being applied directly to the underneath of the pot; while casseroling takes place inside the oven with heat circulating all around the pot. In both cases the meat is cut up fairly small and cooked in a liquid.

Of course, here in the US, a "casserole" can also be defined as any baked one pot meal, which only adds to the confusion.

Last edited:
Actually, I think Wyshie's is a pretty accurate description of the difference and the one I see most often, however, I think it also needs to be qualified as follows. This definition is from Delia Online:

Stewing is done on the top of a cooker with heat being applied directly to the underneath of the pot; while casseroling takes place inside the oven with heat circulating all around the pot. In both cases the meat is cut up fairly small and cooked in a liquid.

Of course, here in the US, a "casserole" can also be defined as any baked one pot meal, which only adds to the confusion.

I think focusing on the heat source is missing the point.

A stew is a more liquid dish, vegetables and sometimes meat in a liquid (broth or gravy). Similar to soup but more hearty and bigger pieces of food in the liquid. A stew can be cooked in the oven or on the stove top, similar to a braise.

A casserole is less liquid. Think baked macaroni and cheese or baked ziti and broccoli or chicken and rice casseroles.

I would really hesitate to call something a casserole if it wasn't baked, but a stew could be baked or cooked on a stove top or over an open fire.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom