What's on your plate Thursday12/16/10?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We had the New England boiled dinner. It wasn't as good as last time, but still pretty good. The brisket I corned tasted better than this outside rump roast that I corned this time. Same corning recipe.

I was glad it was an easy meal. I went shopping to four stores. I had to brush snow off the windshield and windows each time I got back into the car. The roads were slick, so the driving was a bit stressful. The cashier at one store charged me sales tax on whole allspice. Crikey, we don't pay sales tax on food, only on salted snack food. Did she think I was going to munch the allspice berries? I made them give me back my $0.25 of tax. Hopefully, next time they ring up a spice, they will remember not to charge tax.

I had cottage cheese with Penzey's Florida Pepper seasoning, mandarin oranges and lentil soup with ham. Very good...two cups of peppermint mocha coffee.

We had the New England boiled dinner. It wasn't as good as last time, but still pretty good. The brisket I corned tasted better than this outside rump roast that I corned this time. Same corning recipe.

I was glad it was an easy meal. I went shopping to four stores. I had to brush snow off the windshield and windows each time I got back into the car. The roads were slick, so the driving was a bit stressful. The cashier at one store charged me sales tax on whole allspice. Crikey, we don't pay sales tax on food, only on salted snack food. Did she think I was going to munch the allspice berries? I made them give me back my $0.25 of tax. Hopefully, next time they ring up a spice, they will remember not to charge tax.

Louisiana taxes all food! At different rates.

Louisiana taxes all food! At different rates.

:eek:

That's mind boggling. Does the cashier have to remember all the different rates and what goes in each rate?

Here it can get a bit peculiar with less than 6 pastries or hot food. Those are taxed at our standard 5% GST (federal) and 7.5% QST (Quebec and it's on top of the GST for a total of 13.875%). So, when I buy a rotisserie chicken at Costco, there is sales tax. If it was a rotisserie chicken that had gotten cold, it wouldn't have tax. We even pay sales tax on services. There isn't much that isn't taxable, but basic food isn't.

That's mind boggling. Does the cashier have to remember all the different rates and what goes in each rate?

Here it can get a bit peculiar with less than 6 pastries or hot food. Those are taxed at our standard 5% GST (federal) and 7.5% QST (Quebec and it's on top of the GST for a total of 13.875%). So, when I buy a rotisserie chicken at Costco, there is sales tax. If it was a rotisserie chicken that had gotten cold, it wouldn't have tax. We even pay sales tax on services. There isn't much that isn't taxable, but basic food isn't.

Taxes are usually calculated by the cash register these days. In the way back, I remember having to sort a shopping cart before ringing up, so I could get the appropriate tax on taxable items.

The total taxes are listed like so many dollars @ 4.5% so much @ 9.9%, etc, but unless you purchase one of the item or recognize the amount, you don't know what was taxed.

My $48 in food stamps is for food. No taxes are paid on that food.

When I'm spending my own money and it's tight, I allow 10% for taxes to make sure I have enough.

Back
Top Bottom