"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2018, 05:55 PM   #1
Executive Chef

What's on your plate tonight, 1-2-18

We had spiralized celery root noodles tossed with cashew/harissa cream, topped with crispy Brussels sprout chips, fried egg, and garnished with more harissa.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-01-02 18.29.26.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	28834  

Old 01-02-2018, 06:33 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

My wife made buffalo burgers and Nathan's crinkle cut fries, but I only picked. I ate some leftovers this morning and with a stuffed nose, I couldn't tell that they had gone off a bit. I've felt a little bloated and queasy all day.

Apparently, the container of leftovers had gotten pushed to the back of the fridge a week ago when we had so many guests, and somehow made its way forward on a shelf to the front yesterday. I thought they were leftovers from a recent lunch.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:43 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Unusually cold for our region so I thought some comfort food would be just the thing. Had a significant quantity of baked ham left from our late Christmas dinner and some potatoes to use up so...

Scalloped Potatoes and Ham was on the table. I didn't have any plain Monterey Jack cheese but I did have pepper-jack. Why not?

Turned out to be one of the best recipes I've ever prepared for this dish. Good thing, too, there's plenty left for tomorrow.

We ate until we were pretty full. Hard to leave that stuff alone on a cold, cold day.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:45 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Just NYE and NYD leftovers, here.

CD
Old 01-02-2018, 07:02 PM   #5
Head Chef

A shrimp and spaghetti dinner from an old Pierre Franey "60 Minute Gourmet" cookbook. Sauce was canned plum tomatoes, garlic, spices, and capers. Spaghetti was fresh from the Philips pasta machine (love that stuff!). Green salad on the side.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:05 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I pulled a container of vegetable beef soup from the freezer, nuked that up, poured it into a sauce pan and simmered a small recipe of Danish egg dumplings ( same as Joy of Cooking's spätzle recipe,) only dropped into the soup by spoonfuls. Much less complicated than completing as spätzle. Tried out a loaf of crusty sour dough bread that I picked up at a bakery I've been meaning to try their breads. Very crisp crust, fragrant, but a little light on flavor.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:07 PM   #7
Master Chef

Leftovers and pickin's here as well. A little ham, various cheeses, crackers, pickles, olives, artichoke hearts, grape tomatoes. Ice cream a little later.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:21 PM   #8
Head Chef

We had a really good Asian lunch at Jeannie's fave place... I had Teriyaki Steak, she had Orange Chicken.. Of course, they came with a spicy soup, fried rice and an egg roll..

Not hungry tonight but, when the commute traffic thins, we are going to pop into the local Denny's for a small plate of pan cakes.. I have a craving and the sweetness will take the place of dessert tonight.. Of course there will be bacon..

Ross
Old 01-02-2018, 07:41 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Had a couple of chicken carcasses in freezer. Mad stock overnight. Made chicken and dumplings just like Grandma used to. Perfect comfort food on a frigid day. Dad got a side salad. Mom fruit and cottage cheese. Banana bread for dessert.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:50 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Just a huge bowl of green salad with EVOO and balsamic vinegar dressing. This is to make up for all the crap I ate over the holidays. The rest of the family had real dinners.