"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2018, 12:33 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

I started the turkey soup yesterday morning. Then I proceeded to become very ill. Took meds, then ate. Should have given the meds time to get into my system instead of just my tummy.

So today, I finished it up. Filled a very large bowl and sent it off to a friend's home. He called to tell us it was all gone before Pirate and myself even got to have a small bowl. It must have been good. Pirate wanted dumplings. So I added a tablespoon of Bell's Seasoning to the dough. Made six of them. I was lucky. I managed to get one of them. Pirate finished the rest off. Nothing left of Thanksgiving.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:41 AM   #12
Executive Chef

I am in Colorado, and there is a Bonefish Grill across the street from my hotel. Grilled cod with a crabmeat topping, potatoes au gratin, and steamed fresh green beans. Pricey, but tasty.

CD

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:53 AM   #13
Head Chef

Asian marinated pork tenderloin medallions, green beans with bacon and butter noodles..

Chocolate cake for dessert..

Ross
Old 11-28-2018, 07:50 AM   #14
Master Chef

Two Skillet Seared Franks, Mustard & Relish and Ketchup and Onions, Fries, Steamed Cauliflower drowned in butter, and of course a salad...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hot Dogs .jpg
Views:	17
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	32376
Old 11-28-2018, 09:46 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Chicken and rice again, but Japanese this time. Baked chicken tonkatsu, basmati rice and marinated cucumbers and carrots.
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-11-28-09-46-32.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	32379
Old 11-28-2018, 10:51 AM   #16
Head Chef

I hate to be overly pedantic, but chicken tonkatsu is not a thing. It can’t be, because the ton in tonkatsu means pork.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:05 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
I hate to be overly pedantic, but chicken tonkatsu is not a thing. It canít be, because the ton in tonkatsu means pork.
I know it as Chicken Katsu...

https://www.justonecookbook.com/crispy-baked-chicken/

Ross
Old 11-28-2018, 02:15 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
I hate to be overly pedantic, but chicken tonkatsu is not a thing. It canít be, because the ton in tonkatsu means pork.
Thanks, I'll remember that. As a former copy editor, I don't consider factual accuracy to be pedantic
Old 11-28-2018, 02:20 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post
Henceforth, I will call it that
Old 11-28-2018, 05:54 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

Last night I made a sambar, using up a bunch of odds and ends - some cubed up butternut, the last sweet potato and Yukon gold in my potato bin, some peeled broccoli stems, and some of the solid innards of a cauliflower. Also, though not traditional, I added a couple of broken up papadum (lentil wafers), just to use up the last ones (have to make more now!).

I started by cooking the toor dal with some turmeric in the IP. While that cooked and pressure released, I cooked some chopped onion in coconut oil in a large saucepan, then cooked the sambar masala in the oil briefly, then added the veggies and 5 c water. This simmered for about 20 min, and I added the papadum with about 5 min left. While this simmered, I mashed the finished dal in the IP and added this to the saucepan, salted to taste, and simmered a few more min, while preparing the tadka - heated a little oil in a small saucepan, popped the mustard seed, then added 8 Thai peppers, along with some cumin seed, fenugreek seed, asafoetida, and 15 fresh curry leaves. When the peppers were browned, this was stirred into the sambar, which was somewhat thickened by this time, from the squash breaking down. Leftovers will be even thicker!

Earlier, I made some jowar roti to serve this with. I ground some sorghum in the VM, removed a little of the flour (in case it was to wet later), then added some hot water, and processed it, making a soft, but not too sticky dough. I also added some garlic, along with some ajwain seeds, to flavor the roti (I almost never make unflavored flatbreads!). I used my tortilla press to form these, then cooked them in a dry cast iron pan.