What's on your plate Tuesday, 11-27-2018?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Grilled steak and foil packet potatoes plus crudities of multicolored carrots, broccoli and cucumber with a roasted vege mayo dip.

Attachments

• 2018-11-27 18.43.17.jpg
    2018-11-27 18.43.17.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 165
Communal dining tonight. Thinly sliced, marinated skirt steak and various vegis on the electric griddle in the middle of the table. Grandkids love sitting around the griddle as they get to cook their own food.

Boneless pork chops stuffed with shallots, garlic, spinach, feta and breadcrumbs. Glazed carrots on the side.

Attachments

• IMG_1678.jpg
    IMG_1678.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 114
Communal dining tonight. Thinly sliced, marinated skirt steak and various vegis on the electric griddle in the middle of the table. Grandkids love sitting around the griddle as they get to cook their own food.
Tell me more, tell me more (no, not the Grease song!).

How old are the grandkids? Our grandkids are 1 and 3, a bit too young to do it by themselves, but it's an interesting concept. The 3 year old is interested in cooking (no idea what started this, as he's not particularly interested in eating). I just picked up a Cuisinart griddler today, and this might be fun to try with him.

Katie, everyone needs a lazy day once in a while. For me, that's more like every-other day. :LOL:

Semi-annual meet-up with my primary care doc. She was pleased with my (tiny) weight loss, BP readings, and blood work. I celebrated by getting some fried sole and bay scallops at the grocery store. Ate that with the last of the leftover Thanksgiving veggies, plus some fresh steamed broccoli. I guess that counts as a semi-lazy meal.

Attachments

• 2018-11-27 20.02.14.jpg
    2018-11-27 20.02.14.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 124
Cooking with kids on a griddle, way cool.

Fillet steak tonight with garlic sauce with kumara chips carrots and broccoli cheese bake and corn.

Russ

Juicy thick cut brined porterhouse pork chops seasoned with Penzey's Arizona Dreaming and cooked to slightly pink with Spanish rice and side salads.

Attachments

• PB270019[1].jpg
    PB270019[1].jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 115
  • PB270021[1].jpg
    PB270021[1].jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 152
I started the turkey soup yesterday morning. Then I proceeded to become very ill. Took meds, then ate. Should have given the meds time to get into my system instead of just my tummy.

So today, I finished it up. Filled a very large bowl and sent it off to a friend's home. He called to tell us it was all gone before Pirate and myself even got to have a small bowl. It must have been good. Pirate wanted dumplings. So I added a tablespoon of Bell's Seasoning to the dough. Made six of them. I was lucky. I managed to get one of them. Pirate finished the rest off. Nothing left of Thanksgiving.

I am in Colorado, and there is a Bonefish Grill across the street from my hotel. Grilled cod with a crabmeat topping, potatoes au gratin, and steamed fresh green beans. Pricey, but tasty.

CD

Two Skillet Seared Franks, Mustard & Relish and Ketchup and Onions, Fries, Steamed Cauliflower drowned in butter, and of course a salad...

Hot Dogs .jpg

I hate to be overly pedantic, but chicken tonkatsu is not a thing. It can’t be, because the ton in tonkatsu means pork.

Last night I made a sambar, using up a bunch of odds and ends - some cubed up butternut, the last sweet potato and Yukon gold in my potato bin, some peeled broccoli stems, and some of the solid innards of a cauliflower. Also, though not traditional, I added a couple of broken up papadum (lentil wafers), just to use up the last ones (have to make more now!).

I started by cooking the toor dal with some turmeric in the IP. While that cooked and pressure released, I cooked some chopped onion in coconut oil in a large saucepan, then cooked the sambar masala in the oil briefly, then added the veggies and 5 c water. This simmered for about 20 min, and I added the papadum with about 5 min left. While this simmered, I mashed the finished dal in the IP and added this to the saucepan, salted to taste, and simmered a few more min, while preparing the tadka - heated a little oil in a small saucepan, popped the mustard seed, then added 8 Thai peppers, along with some cumin seed, fenugreek seed, asafoetida, and 15 fresh curry leaves. When the peppers were browned, this was stirred into the sambar, which was somewhat thickened by this time, from the squash breaking down. Leftovers will be even thicker!

Earlier, I made some jowar roti to serve this with. I ground some sorghum in the VM, removed a little of the flour (in case it was to wet later), then added some hot water, and processed it, making a soft, but not too sticky dough. I also added some garlic, along with some ajwain seeds, to flavor the roti (I almost never make unflavored flatbreads!). I used my tortilla press to form these, then cooked them in a dry cast iron pan.

Back
Top Bottom