What's on your table? Saturday, 8/12/2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
We'll be having chicken and dumplings. Craig is going to make meatballs for a meal next week as well.

No clue. The original plan was for burgers but we've been invited to SO's sister's home for gathering.

I have a whole chicken to deal with for tonight. We almost always have oven beer butt chicken, but I might quarter it and put it on the grill with the smoker box. Green beans with bacon and onion on the side burner sounds good. SC got a cheese/Hatch chili loaf of bread to go with the meal.

Med, do you do fluffy dumplings, or flat tires as Mama called them?

Last edited:
I'm making a pizza tonight. Gonna cheat with premade pizza dough. Have some spaghetti sauce leftovers to use up. Salads on the side.

I'm thawing ground beef. It will be meatloaf or chili.

The tacos I was supposed to make last night... Mexican rice, small green salad and mashed beans as sides... I will have to scramble if I want a dessert...

Ross

I came across this recipe for Ziti Al Mulignan at Food.com and it sounded really good. I changed it from Ziti to Penne Rigate because that is what I normally have in the pantry. I found all the ingredients I didn't already have at home at the 99¢ Only Store yesterday, so I decided to make it tonight with a small salad and garlic toast. It says "Serves 4 - 6" so I will cut the recipe in half so I don't have a ton of leftovers like I did with the Mulignan a la Sicilian. I think it would pair well with any of the Italian reds I bought last week, but I decided on the 2015 Piccini Chianti, mainly because it has a screw cap which I find most convenient when you're not planning on drinking the entire bottle at one sitting. Of course that could still happen, depending on my mood!

I have a package of pre-seasoned baby back ribs. Toss them in the oven and make some shoe string French Fries with steamed buttered broccoli and a couple of slices of radishes and tomato. A reasonably balanced meal. There are only six ribs in the package. Four for Pirate and two for me. Of course this all depends on how Pirate feels. He was sick all night. And he has a fever. So all this planning may have to wait for tomorrow.

Hi, all! :)

I steamed an artichoke this afternoon, so will have that with a little melted butter with lemon juice for dipping. Probably will go ahead and have the last half cup or so of a small potato salad I made yesterday, for a side.

We'll be having chicken and dumplings. Craig is going to make meatballs for a meal next week as well.

I have a whole chicken to deal with for tonight. We almost always have oven beer butt chicken, but I might quarter it and put it on the grill with the smoker box. Green beans with bacon and onion on the side burner sounds good. SC got a cheese/Hatch chili loaf of bread to go with the meal.

Med, do you do fluffy dumplings, or flat tires as Mama called them?

MMM! I really like chicken and "flat tire" dumplings like Cracker Barrel serves, the only thing I don't care for at Cracker Barrel though is that the gravy is a bit too thick for my taste, and DH DOES NOT care for Chicken and Dumplings at all... "Ewwww! It's too creamy!" - please insert whiny little boys voice here for full effect :LOL:

Oh, yeah, that's right, what's for dinner tonight?
DH's buddy was here the past couple of nights, visiting from Southern AZ and I remembered that he liked my 3 cheese lasagna, so we had a bunch leftover...
that's what's going on our plates tonight too :yum:

001.JPG

DD ordered Chinese - I had Egg roll and wonton soup for dinner tonight.

MMM! I really like chicken and "flat tire" dumplings like Cracker Barrel serves, the only thing I don't care for at Cracker Barrel though is that the gravy is a bit too thick for my taste, and DH DOES NOT care for Chicken and Dumplings at all... "Ewwww! It's too creamy!" - please insert whiny little boys voice here for full effect :LOL:

I have tried and tried to like Cracker Barrel since my family loves the place(s). I just can't seem to do it. It's like eating at a salt lick, imo.

I did have a good piece of cornmeal dusted haddock there a few weeks ago, but it came with 2 sides of salt (plus other ingredients).

The reason I go back with my family, outside of the fact that it makes them happy, is like the old Henny Youngman joke about when a thief stole his wife's purse with all of her credit cards.
He didn't report the theft since the thief spends much less on them than his wife does...

Had a ham bone and part of a can of black beans that must go, so I made a pot of ham-and-beans-and-collard greens tonight. Needed more beans, so I opened a can of cannellini. Our bowls looked like piano keys had broken up and fallen in. :LOL: A slice of rye bread to sop up the likker.

Attachments

• 20170812_211914.jpg
    20170812_211914.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 87
I have tried and tried to like Cracker Barrel since my family loves the place(s). I just can't seem to do it. It's like eating at a salt lick, imo.
Yes! My sentiments exactly. My ex-parents-in-laws ate there EVERY single Wednesday for over 20 years. Every single week, they would call and invite us to join them. Every single week, we would have to say no.

At first, we would make up excuses ("Sorry, staying home tonight to wash the cat"). After a while, we just resorted to being brutally honest about not liking the place. But still they would call. It got to be a running joke.

Dinner tonight was sous vide bratwurst and kraut. It was an experiment, but they turned out delicious.

Last edited:

I did have a good piece of cornmeal dusted haddock there a few weeks ago, but it came with 2 sides of salt (plus other ingredients).

The reason I go back with my family, outside of the fact that it makes them happy, is like the old Henny Youngman joke about when a thief stole his wife's purse with all of her credit cards.
He didn't report the theft since the thief spends much less on them than his wife does...

I've also observed that Cracker Barrel does overdo the salt. I had ham steak and eggs there one time, and couldn't eat the ham. It was way too salty. It wasn't a health issue, either, it tasted terrible from all the salt.

As for dinner, tonight's meal has been postponed until tomorrow.

I made a big batch of "cajun" potato salad last night, and was going to smoke a meatloaf on the Weber kettle tonight, but Mother Nature vetoed any outdoor cooking plans for this evening. We are now on wave four of thunderstorms with heavy rains.

CD

Back
Top Bottom