"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 03-01-2012, 09:55 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

did a quickie spinach and cheese omelet and whole wheat toast.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
... and imitation chicken wraps. only the best imitation food for my family.
What you mean?

Old 03-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
wow mofet. i can just taste that.

you're back.

i had to come into work early because of some otj political b.s., so i skipped dinner. i still managed to pick up dinner for dw and the boy from a local asian vodoo vegematarian restaurant (it's really an organic asian vegetarian place, but they lose me with the magic healing crapola).

organic vegematarian dim sum. pumpkin soup, and imitation chicken wraps. only the best imitation food for my family.

i'm now having roast pork yat gaw mein soup, and bbq rib tips over veggie fried rice.
Thank you bucky.
I forgot to add that there was dry sherry in the chicken marinade also.

What is in roast pork yat gaw mein soup. Actually what is "yat gaw mein".
Old 03-01-2012, 10:11 PM   #24
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
What you mean?
Quote:
. i still managed to pick up dinner for dw and the boy from a local asian vodoo vegematarian restaurant (it's really an organic asian vegetarian place, but they lose me with the magic healing crapola).

organic vegematarian dim sum. pumpkin soup, and imitation chicken wraps. only the best imitation food for my family.

Ummm. . .it was from a vegetarian place. . .
Old 03-01-2012, 10:31 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Oh, chicken wraps without chicken. I just wondered. I'm working on my concept of a Vietnamese rice paper wrap recipe that seems suspiciously like your wraps. They can be easily made with tofu for those who don't want dead animals in their food.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:37 PM   #26
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Oh, chicken wraps without chicken. I just wondered. I'm working on my concept of a Vietnamese rice paper wrap recipe that seems suspiciously like your wraps. They can be easily made with tofu for those who don't want dead animals in their food.

Um yeah, because rice paper wraps(spring roll wrappers), won-ton wraps, eggroll wraps, all contain "dead animal"

I am kind of confused as to what you are saying: Are you working on a wrap(wrapper)that doesn't have animal byproduct? or a filling, for wrappers that doesn't have meat? All of which has been covered extensively by the largely Asian culture in both regards.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:43 PM   #27
Executive Chef

You've misunderstood me. I was referencing your comment about imitation chicken wraps. I presumed you meant imitation chicken and not imitation wraps.

I'm a meat eater here. I don't care if my food has dead animals. Live and let die. I'm not Asian nor do I espouse vegetarian beliefs.

I'm surprised the rice paper wraps have animal material in them. I've presumed they are made entirely out of rice.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:57 PM   #28
The Dude Abides

Quote:
You've misunderstood me. I was referencing your comment about imitation chicken wraps. I presumed you meant imitation chicken and not imitation wraps.

I'm a meat eater here. I don't care if my food has dead animals. Live and let die. I'm not Asian nor do I espouse vegetarian beliefs.

I'm surprised the rice paper wraps have animal material in them. I've presumed they are made entirely out of rice.

I think you have misunderstood the post. . .rice paper wrappers contain no meat. It was an imitation "chicken", wrap. Minced tofu/mushroom/water chestnut or something along those lines, in a rice paper wrap, not a wrap made of chicken. . .most popular incarnations are a filler, and actually just use a piece of Romaine Lettuce as the wrap, much like Korean BBQ.

Personally, I didn't rise to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian. I believe that there is a place for all of Gods creatures, it's right in between the potatoes and gravy.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:00 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
Did a plated dinner for 280ppl tonight, so I had what they had: Cornmeal crusted rainbow trout, with wilted spinach, toasted pine nuts, browned butter, and olive oil poached fingerling potatoes.
I did gigs like that for a while!

NEVER AGAIN!

You're stronger than I am. :)
Old 03-01-2012, 11:09 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
I think you have misunderstood the post. . .rice paper wrappers contain no meat. It was an imitation "chicken", wrap. Minced tofu/mushroom/water chestnut or something along those lines, in a rice paper wrap, not a wrap made of chicken. . .most popular incarnations are a filler, and actually just use a piece of Romaine Lettuce as the wrap, much like Korean BBQ.
Yes, I did misunderstand. I did not evolve for 100,000 years to eat tofurkey. Sounds good. But I'd prefer mine with a real chicken.

Yes I've heard the lettuce wrap concept. I'm still working on the rice wrap one. I'll tackle the lettuce wrap after I've achieved the rice wrapped version.