What's tempting and on the table - Sunday, October 19, 2014?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
For some unknown reason I've been drawn to the kitchen today so I took advantage of that and we'll be having Zesty Pot Roast from the October 2014 issue of Southern Living magazine, along with braised white turnips (from the same issue), glazed baby carrots, iced tea and, ta da, for dessert we'll have a healthy slice of Blue Ribbon Caramel Apple Pie.

I have a feeling we'll be quite satisfied and full.

Daughter's choice tonight so it's rib eyes, baked taters, grilled-marinated zucchini, fried mushrooms, small chef salads....

I got my daughter a job at the shop. Now, that she deals with steak every day she works, she craves it even more. Every time I ask her what she would like to eat for Sunday dinner, well....you guessed it....

Last edited:
I'll be grilling a couple of NY strip steaks and will serve them with baked potatoes and string beans.

Last week's roast chicken is tonight's chicken with rice soup!

"Who would not give all else for two
pennyworth only of beautiful Soup?
Pennyworth only of beautiful Soup?
Beau - ootiful Soo - oop!
Beau - ootiful Soo - oop!
Soo - oop of the e - e - evening,
Beautiful, beautiful Soup!" -
Lewis Carroll

Last edited:
We split a Philly cheesesteak, in Philly! Actually, at the airport. It was quite good. Of course the cheese choice was whiz. The fries were nicely seasoned and crispy too!

Last edited:
We're on our way to Washington, DC. DH is going to a conference and I'm tagging along for the free hotel room :mrgreen: We'll figure out where to have dinner once we get to the hotel.

"Tagging along" is fun GG! I did that when Himself flew out to CA for a training week. Sure we paid for my ticket, but I had the one week free. Then we used a vacation week (and our own money), picked up our son who what between job and semester commitments, and toured CA. Or I did until I did a number on a knee. The guys would go out for the day, then bring lots of pictures back for me to look at. *sigh*

I'll bake up a couple small fillets of fresh schrod, heat the beets for me, lightly steam some Brussels sprouts for Himself. Starchy item is still to be determined, but right now I'm leaning towards brown rice with toasted slivered almonds and a fine grate of lemon zest.

Probably not much this evening. Had a late and very filling lunch.

My daughter and grandson came over this afternoon and we had a smorgasbord of sandwiches...egg salad, sunflower seed butter with peach jam, and ham and cheese. I cut them all into quarters and served them on a huge platter, and we ended up eating all of them. Sides were potato chips, watermelon, sliced fresh pears from the farm stand, raspberry sorbet, and lemonade.

I'll probably just nibble on some cheese and crackers later this evening. :)

Last edited:
We had some nuked Trader Joes lamb meatballs sliced and added to sliced jarlesberg cheese and home made salsa on home made tortillas. Cooked them off in my antique Westinghouse sandwich maker for a makeshift quesadilla.

And two chocolate chip cookies:).

I made a big batch of spaghetti sauce to freeze so we had that over bowtie pasta. And salad...we're cleaning out the garden and I found a patch of little volunteer mustard, arugula and assorted Asian greens and the last of the sungold cherry tomatoes. Dressed them with a balsamic/dijon/maple vinaigrette.

Our dinner plates were so colorful I had to take a picture!

Attachments

• 2014-10-19 21.16.20.jpg
    2014-10-19 21.16.20.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 175
We ordered in pizza, but never again from that place.:( I made chicken and andouille gumbo for later this week. Always tastes better the next day or two.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom