What's the deal with bread-bag twist ties?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael in FtW

Master Chef
Moderator Emeritus
I generally bake my own bread every week - but sometimes I do have to buy a loaf from the local grocery store. I was once curious why the twist-ties were different colors .... and someone explained that it was a way for the bread delivery guys to know what day of the week the bread was produced so they would know what to pull. Okay - that makes sense .....

But, WHY do they not twist the ties in the same direction all the time?? Righty-tighty-lefty-loosey ... why can't they just do it that way all the time??? I've not kept a record to see if it a color specific thing ... but some are wound clockwise - some are counterwise.

Anyone else ever notice this - or is it just me???

Last edited:
Yep. I know exactly what you're saying. It seems most of them are twisted on backwards, you have to twist them clockwise to take them off, then I'll run into one that is put on "normally", like most people would expect to turn it to take it off.
I've never been in a bread factory, so I don't know if a machine puts the twist ties on or they are done by hand. I wouldn't think they are put on by hand, but what else would explain it?

Monday -Blue
Tuesday -Green
Thursday -Red
Friday -White
Saturday -Yellow
So if today was Thursday, you would want red twist tie not white which is Fridays (almost a week old)!
The colors go alphabetically by color Blue - Green - Red - White - Yellow, Monday thru Saturday. Very easy to remember. I thought this was interesting. I looked in the grocery store and the bread wrappers DO have different twist ties, and even the one with the plastic clips have different colors. Enjoy fresh bread when you buy bread with the right color on the day you are shopping.

My guess is that it would depend on the person tieing off the bag ... If you are right handed, you are going to twist it clockwise while if you are left handed, the more comfortable motion would be counter clockwise (I'm guessing).

I helped slice and bag bread when I was a kid in my dad's grocery store (very cool slicing machine, no automatic twister though) so I'm basing it on my own experience.

Just a guess!

My guess is that it would depend on the person tieing off the bag ... If you are right handed, you are going to twist it clockwise while if you are left handed, the more comfortable motion would be counter clockwise (I'm guessing).

I helped slice and bag bread when I was a kid in my dad's grocery store (very cool slicing machine, no automatic twister though) so I'm basing it on my own experience.

Just a guess!

My guess is that the twisting is done by machine for the large bakers.

i guess some bagging and tying machines are made by left handed techs, the others, righthanded. :rolleyes:

maybe the machines tie each bag a different direction for expediency, or possibly to equalize wear on the device.

Last edited:
i guess some bagging and tying machines are made by left handed techs, the others, righthanded. :rolleyes:

maybe the machines tie each bag a different direction for expediency, or possibly to equalize wear on the device.

That's a good point. While I have watched the process several times in a past life, I have no answer (right now) as to why some loaves/bags would be twisted in one direction and others in a different direction.:ermm: Stay tuned..........

PS.. Between the OP and your humble correspondent, (and others) the mystery will be solved!!

Last edited:
You know, with the way so many foods are packaged in tamper-proof packaging, commercial bread loaves are pretty easy to mess with. It kind of makes you wonder when you run into a twist tie that untwists differently.....
I noticed a while back that grocery store bakeries have gone to taping their bags closed. I don't know if it's easier, cheaper, or to make them tamper-proof. I save the plastic clips from other products to reaseal those bags.

:smartass:When the machine keeps tying in one direction, it gets wound up like a spring, so it ties in the opposite direction to unwind itself then back the other way again.

:bangin:

Monday -Blue
Tuesday -Green
Thursday -Red
Friday -White
Saturday -Yellow
So if today was Thursday, you would want red twist tie not white which is Fridays (almost a week old)!
The colors go alphabetically by color Blue - Green - Red - White - Yellow, Monday thru Saturday. Very easy to remember. I thought this was interesting. I looked in the grocery store and the bread wrappers DO have different twist ties, and even the one with the plastic clips have different colors. Enjoy fresh bread when you buy bread with the right color on the day you are shopping.

Best info I have learned on a BBS in a long time. Thanks!!

jeekinz, i think you're on to something. a perpetual motion twist tie machine.

oh yeah, no bread on wednesdays or sundays? (wednesday is sunday at carvel, but that's a different thread.)

i know us catholics do a little magical conversion thingy on sundays, but what about all of the heathens? don't they eat bread? :cool:

Back
Top Bottom