What's the dinner plan? Sat. 9-27-14

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Brats, mashed potato's and a sauerkraut / apple salad. My family won't eat sauerkraut so I have started making it into a refrigerated salad that I can nibble on over a week or two. It's an excellent alternative to the stove prepared version and none goes to waste.

And I'm going to go look for some fancy beer to welcome in Oktoberfest. Prost!

Thinking some kind of ham and potato casserole. I also need to use up some expired Greek yogurt, so that will go into the cheese sauce.

Just curious. Tell us about your sausage sandwich. What kind of sausage? How is it prepared? What kind of bread? Condiments? Toppings? Anything on the side, like fruit or a salad?

Hi GG

Well I hate to disappoint you, but we are talking about a very basic repast here! It's a classic pork "banger" (albeit a good quality one), with literally just pork and some seasoning and herbs. Roasted in the oven and then plonked into a buttered baguette with a dollop of brown sauce! (HP Sauce).

Are you sorry you asked? :ermm::LOL:

Hi GG

Well I hate to disappoint you, but we are talking about a very basic repast here! It's a classic pork "banger" (albeit a good quality one), with literally just pork and some seasoning and herbs. Roasted in the oven and then plonked into a buttered baguette with a dollop of brown sauce! (HP Sauce).

Of course not. The way you described it before, I wasn't expecting something fancy. But I have observed ;) that people from different areas often vary in the details of how they do things and that's interesting to me. What is HP sauce?

I have some pork tenderloins to broil with sweet potatoes baking right now. We'll round it out with a garden salad.

Of course not. The way you described it before, I wasn't expecting something fancy. But I have observed ;) that people from different areas often vary in the details of how they do things and that's interesting to me. What is HP sauce?

Brown sauce as I have always called it (HP Sauce) is an American product I think. But it has been over here ever since I can remember. The label actually has the Houses of Parliament and Big Ben on it so I guess we have truly adopted it! :)

That's what the HP stands for. House of Parliament Sauce. It is very common here in Canada also. Along the same lines as A1 steak sauce, but a bit tangy er.

HP Sauce is a brown sauce[1] originally produced by HP Foods in the UK, now produced by the H. J. Heinz Company in the Netherlands. It is the best-known brand of brown sauce in the United Kingdom in 2005 with 73.8% of the retail market in the UK.[2] HP Sauce has a malt vinegar base, blended with tomato, dates, tamarind extract, sweetener and spices.[3][4] It usually is used as a condiment with hot or cold savoury food, or as an ingredient in soups or stews.

Last edited:
That's what the HP stands for. House of Parliament Sauce. It is very common here in Canada also. Along the same lines as A1 steak sauce, but a bit tangy er.

HP Sauce is a brown sauce[1] originally produced by HP Foods in the UK, now produced by the H. J. Heinz Company in the Netherlands. It is the best-known brand of brown sauce in the United Kingdom in 2005 with 73.8% of the retail market in the UK.[2] HP Sauce has a malt vinegar base, blended with tomato, dates, tamarind extract, sweetener and spices.[3][4] It usually is used as a condiment with hot or cold savoury food, or as an ingredient in soups or stews.

I stand corrected! Thanks Rocklobster. Anyway, it's jolly nice with a sausage! (Also, a fried breakfast isn't really "proper" without a dollop on the plate.) :yum:

img_1390177_0_47414c9f82eda39c4d441ad528345899.jpg

Montana beef T- bones, 1 w/ S&P, 1 w/ coffee rub. Reversed seared on the BBQ, Mashed w/ brn gravy and beans.

Hi GG

Sounds good to me, I'm trying to visualize you plonking and dolloping your classic banger with a bit of panache! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I'm having a pork chop, sliced cucumber and cottage cheese.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom