"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 07-25-2006, 09:36 AM   #31
Executive Chef

A can of boiled peanuts. They must be at least 6 years old.

Old 07-25-2006, 09:52 AM   #32
Head Chef

There are 2 (well, one and a half) cans of spray whipped cream in the fridge. I made a shortcake for work, and couldn't figure out how to do real whipped cream without making a big production out of it.

There are a couple of boxes of jello pudding and sugarfree jello in the cupboard--they need to be tossed, because they must be 3 years old.

Other than that, I am pretty unbogus.

Old 07-25-2006, 10:25 AM   #33
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass
There are 2 (well, one and a half) cans of spray whipped cream in the fridge. I made a shortcake for work, and couldn't figure out how to do real whipped cream without making a big production out of it.
We always make whipped cream for our ice cream, just for two of us each time! We just pour about 100ml or maybe even less of 35% milkfat cream (heavy cream?) into a tall measuring vessel (for something like 750ml, or pint and half), and use an electric beater. It whips up pretty quickly. Just make sure the cream is well chilled.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:33 AM   #34
Senior Cook

Yeah- whipped cream isn't that bad, although I remember it was a big deal the first time I made it! Some people add sugar and vanilla, others don't. I once used my kitchen aid mixer to make whipped cream and it was stiff peaks in probably 30 seconds or less!

-Tim
Old 07-25-2006, 11:08 AM   #35
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Quote:
Originally Posted by licia
and some of those things come in handy whether it is money being tight or even time being tight. Everyone doesn't have time or funds to start a nice meal from scratch. If we do, that is great, if we don't, we have to use what we can to get a meal on the table. I know my dil takes lots of shortcuts, but if I had 4 kids under 11, they would probably have to get a new mother. I only had 2 and they were 7 years apart. I thought that was hard at the time.

How right you are licia! The ramen noodles & mac & cheese have come in handy on many occasions when I don't feel like really putting a lot of effort into the kids lunch or they just don't want to eat anything else.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:27 PM   #36
Executive Chef

middie, middie, middid..

Quote:
Originally Posted by middie
Canned Veggies. *Shudder*
Don't ask me how spinach
and carrots got in there.
I don't eat them so I have
absolutely NO idea !
Canned spinach? Does Popeye live with you?
Old 07-25-2006, 04:31 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by licia
and some of those things come in handy whether it is money being tight or even time being tight. Everyone doesn't have time or funds to start a nice meal from scratch. If we do, that is great, if we don't, we have to use what we can to get a meal on the table. I know my dil takes lots of shortcuts, but if I had 4 kids under 11, they would probably have to get a new mother. I only had 2 and they were 7 years apart. I thought that was hard at the time.
Licia, I simply stopped cooking. hahaha. If it's not Friday, Saturday or Sunday, there is nothing to eat here.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:32 PM   #38
Executive Chef

don't toss the jello!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass

There are a couple of boxes of jello pudding and sugarfree jello in the cupboard--they need to be tossed, because they must be 3 years old.

Other than that, I am pretty unbogus.
Make jello shots. The vodka will kill anything..
Old 07-25-2006, 04:37 PM   #39
Master Chef

This doggoone Easy Mac and Cheese that just won't go away. DH bought it for when we were remodeling our kitchen and wanted some. But since we didn't have a stove he bought this because you fix it in the microwave. I truely don't like the stuff but I can't see wasting it. Luckily DH and our youngest don't care and eat it.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:44 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Bogus is in the eye of the beholder. I use canned and instant anything when it suits my purpose and from scratch when that suits my purpose. licia is right.

Most of the "bad" stuff in my cupboards is just plain old - coupla cans of whole cranberry sauce that never got used some T-giving ago.

A tupperware container full of tea bags that have to be ancient.

Held onto part of a package of dried lasagna noodles like they were my first concert tshirt and finally just threw 'em away.

Maybe you'll find this bogus - four jars of peanut butter, all opened.