"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-11-2005, 12:49 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, cheep, good one mish.
yep, that pic was about 5 minutes before i became a dad. i still have those scrubs. keeping it in a time capsule for my boy, along with a hospital baby blanket, the security badges we wore, the newspaper from that day, and a few other things.
gb, are you gonna do something similar? my only(?) regrets are that i intended to make a video of my wife and i for my son, telling him how much he is already loved, the night before he was born. i was barely able to get dw to allow me to take big belly pictures because we were so nervous...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 12:55 PM   #52
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
gb, are you gonna do something similar?
I am now. What a great idea! I also love the idea of making a video the night before. Hopefully i can talk DW into letting me tape her before the baby is in her arms :)

Old 01-11-2005, 01:07 PM   #53
Executive Chef

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
Quote:
but there are a lot of mentally and physically challenged people here anyway. they call them producers, directors, the talent, and studio crews...
I understand a few got let go yesterday............
yep, big rumors going around today. apparently cbs (the cheap broadcast system) didn't pay mapes enough hush money. she's blabbing to the press that cbs ruined her career. she did it to herself. no one held a gun to her head and said put this on air now!!!
otherwise, morale is low, as is normal. i don't think they should have fired anyone. just moved them into programming and new show development. heck, they were the creative ones...
Studio Never fires anyone...simply disconnect your office phones & move your office to the end of the lot. Or - Well, sorry, your job has been dissolved. Hey, blabbing is good PR...Should be a big pic deal in the future.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:13 PM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

that's like the joke from steven wright "i lost my job last week. well, i didn't really lose it, i still know where it is, but someone else is doing it now"...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 01:22 PM   #55
Executive Chef

Quote:
that's like the joke from steven wright "i lost my job last week. well, i didn't really lose it, i still know where it is, but someone else is doing it now"...
:D :D
Steven wright, now he's really funny.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:55 PM   #56
Master Chef

Most of us are pretty darned good cooks who love to do it, or at least aspire to that, or we wouldn't be here. So I'm with most when I agree that it's often #1 service -- we're here not just because we don't want to cook, but because we don't want to do all the other poopoo that comes with it. We want good service by freindly waitstaff, but not someone who tried to replace competency with friendliness. I run into this mostly at vacation destinations. They feel like if they make freinds with you, then you won't mind if they screw up your order or sit in a corner talking on the phone or smoking while your order sits there waiting. This attitude has almost, but not quite, replaced the snob waiter attitude which can be equally obnoxious. I once suggested a young freind of mine go to a certain restaurant in town for a special experience. The waiters totally intimidated her and her date, and I don't think she's easily intimidated (as a matter of fact, she is now preparing to marry a man she's been in a catering business with for awhile; now he's a chef). When I returned to the restaurant I commented on it, and did get an apology. Both ends of the spectrum are apalling, but somehow the over-freindly-incompetent gets forgiven, whereas totally competent, old-pros get called snobs because people aren't experienced with that type of restaurant. This end of the restaurant is so important, and almost impossible to find and maintain.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:35 PM   #57
Master Chef

I want an experience! Good food, good atmosphere, AND good service. Remember simple little things like when someone was there to light your cigarette before you got it out of your pocket ... and they always covered the ashtray before they removed it from the table (after one flick of ash) and replaced it with a clean one?

Fort Worth isn't full of fancy places to eat ... that is that are not private clubs and are open to the general public. The best from 1960-1990 are all gone, except for one - The Balcony. The one thing that all the great places had in common was they were small, intimate, and it was a toss-up trying to decide if the food, service or atmostpehere was the best part of the evening.

I miss those days .... I also miss being able to fit into my tux from back then ...