What's the status of your freezer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
*bump*

I keep a list of what is in the freezer on the fridge. It helps me not to waste stuff I forgot about and keeps me from buying meats I really don't need...

Right now I have:

4 pork chops
1 whole chicken
1 bone in turkey breast
3lbs pork spare ribs
4 chorizos
1 frozen pizza
1 pkg of turkey wings
2lbs of ground pork
1 bag dinner
2lbs breaded coconut shrimp
1lb salmon
1lb croaker
4 chicken tenders
2 NY strip steaks
1/2lb cooked shrimp
2 lobster tails
2 chicken quarters
2lb boneless chuck roast
6lb pork butt roast
1/2lb ground hot sausage
frozen pumpkin from the fall
frozen veggies
frozen pie crust
frozen pastry dough

didn't buy the small chest freezer after all. i just cleaned out the freezer on the fridg. today. had to throw away a bunch from when i was to ill to cook. still have pork loin, chicken fried steak. pork ct. style ribs. tons of chicken thighs. mostly threw away very old ground beef. kills me but feared for the flavor. some fish fillets had to go. still have a big freezer bag full. lots of ice cream treats, all new. and plenty of veggies as well. did see some raisin muffins. lots of bananas in the freezer door as well as five or so of other fruit. the bananas will be great in bread so will keep. ran out of time, some of the other fruit maybe freezer burned , will check in a.m. just needed to make some room. it is still stuffed.

1 meatloaf portion
1 pk. sherry pork
1 enchilada sauce
3-2" pcs. Chorizo
6-1/3# ground sausage
1 sliced pork in gravy
1 shrimp & summer squash
1 lg. meaty ham bone
1 pk. ham fat and skin
1 pork chili
2 chicken thighs
3 spanish rice
2# turkey ham
2 wild rice with taco meat
1/2# imitation Krab
2/3# fried beef liver
8? Bar S smoked sausages

Assorted bread heels, biscuit crusts (from quiche), leftover cornbread, for stuffings.

Assorted frozen vegs.

I decided that buying an extra little freezer wouldn't solve my storage space. I just had to learn to live within the freezer I've got!:LOL:

I've been working on the freezer for the past month. The original list had 10 more items on it.:chef:

I too found that keeping a running inventory keeps me from buying things I don't need. I also keep a grocery list in the kitchen as well as where I sit. The items on the kitchen list get transferred to my main list before I shop.

Last edited:
*bump*

I keep a list of what is in the freezer on the fridge. It helps me not to waste stuff I forgot about and keeps me from buying meats I really don't need...

Right now I have:

4 pork chops
1 whole chicken
1 bone in turkey breast
3lbs pork spare ribs
4 chorizos
1 frozen pizza
1 pkg of turkey wings
2lbs of ground pork
1 bag dinner
2lbs breaded coconut shrimp
1lb salmon
1lb croaker
4 chicken tenders
2 NY strip steaks
1/2lb cooked shrimp
2 lobster tails
2 chicken quarters
2lb boneless chuck roast
6lb pork butt roast
1/2lb ground hot sausage
frozen pumpkin from the fall
frozen veggies
frozen pie crust
frozen pastry dough
Never thought about keeping a freezer list....that's a really good idea! I might start doing that. Meats here go bad really really really fast if you don't use them so everything I buy goes directly in the freezer unless I'm literally cooking it a few hours later. For the most part I empty out my meat-stock before replenishing but have on a few occasions "forgotten" something that got buried and eventually had to toss it from freezer burn. My freezer is relatively small and I don't have an automatic ice maker, so a full quarter of my freezer is devoted to ice trays, and the door is reserved for the mugs we keep in there. Factor in the vodka, plus the ice-packs I have to keep handy for my carpal tunnel....and only 50% of my freezer capacity is remaining for meat and very little else.

The good thing about this though is that it keeps us from buying ice cream. :LOL:

You are seriously organized......I mean I'm reasonably organized but you are on a completely different level. Color me impressed.

Never thought about keeping a freezer list...

It takes only a few minutes to do a complete inventory. Just write down everything edible and keep the list on the fridge. All you have to do is update it occasionally while you're waiting for something to nuke.:smartass:

Not having room for ice cream is a good thing for me.:LOL:

Never thought about keeping a freezer list....that's a really good idea! I might start doing that. Meats here go bad really really really fast if you don't use them so everything I buy goes directly in the freezer unless I'm literally cooking it a few hours later. For the most part I empty out my meat-stock before replenishing but have on a few occasions "forgotten" something that got buried and eventually had to toss it from freezer burn. My freezer is relatively small and I don't have an automatic ice maker, so a full quarter of my freezer is devoted to ice trays, and the door is reserved for the mugs we keep in there. Factor in the vodka, plus the ice-packs I have to keep handy for my carpal tunnel....and only 50% of my freezer capacity is remaining for meat and very little else.

The good thing about this though is that it keeps us from buying ice cream. :LOL:

You are seriously organized......I mean I'm reasonably organized but you are on a completely different level. Color me impressed.

Thanks!!! Go for it, I have a pretty strong Type A personality, but I'm also incredibly forgetful...if I didn't have a list, I'd forget some stuff was back there. Since my fiancee isn't here I can tell you what also made me start keeping a list. It'd drive me crazy when he cooked because he would go out and buy exact cuts of meat we have in the freezer. For whatever reason looking through was too much so the list is smack dab at eye level :ROFLMAO: Once we take something out, we cross it off.

I need to get to the chest freezer in the next couple of days. I did the fridge freezer the other day and found pork from 2009. It's great to have it labeled with the date so you know how old it is...LOL!

with the exception of the holiday turkeys and ham, (and biweekly bacon) I have not bought meat since early summer. I still have some chops ribs tenderloins and a leg of lamb to go, plus some stew meat. And lots of tomato sauce and stock I've put up.

didn't buy the small chest freezer after all. i just cleaned out the freezer on the fridg. today. had to throw away a bunch from when i was to ill to cook. still have pork loin, chicken fried steak. pork ct. style ribs. tons of chicken thighs. mostly threw away very old ground beef. kills me but feared for the flavor. some fish fillets had to go. still have a big freezer bag full. lots of ice cream treats, all new. and plenty of veggies as well. did see some raisin muffins. lots of bananas in the freezer door as well as five or so of other fruit. the bananas will be great in bread so will keep. ran out of time, some of the other fruit maybe freezer burned , will check in a.m. just needed to make some room. it is still stuffed.

When I find freezer burned vegis or fruit, I use them to make stock. Yes, I sometimes make fruit "stock".

I need to get to the chest freezer in the next couple of days. I did the fridge freezer the other day and found pork from 2009. It's great to have it labeled with the date so you know how old it is...LOL!

We have been putting month and year on stuff for years. I've had some weird surprises too.

Having a freezer list sounds like a great idea. Do you guys have one list for the big freezer and another for the one in the fridge? I have two fridges, so besides the chest freezer I have two freezers. Would you make three lists?

Last edited:
I have two fridges, so besides the chest freezer I have two freezers. Would you make three lists?
I have the same arrangement, but keep only one list. The freezer in the kitchen fridge gets opened most often and so gets temperature fluctuations. I only keep (longterm) whole spices, herbs, stock making scraps and opened frozen veggies in it. When unloading groceries or breaking down large cuts of meat, I temporarily put things in the kitchen freezer for transport downstairs to the chest freezer;it is easier to list things when you move a bunch at a time, more or less at your convenience. I usually bring up the ingredients for the next few meals at the same time and put them in the kitchen freezer, again simplifying the list deletion process. The secondary refrigerator freezer is reserved for breads, candles, occasional excess of stock, and water bottles; it is old and doesn't maintain 0 as well as might be nice. The treasure trove of long term storage - where things get lost without a list - is the chest freezer.

It takes longer to explain than to do, but really simplifies inventory control.

Having a freezer list sounds like a great idea. Do you guys have one list for the big freezer and another for the one in the fridge? I have two fridges, so besides the chest freezer I have two freezers. Would you make three lists?

I don't keep a fridge list but I probably could. I don't have a pantry so stuff is crammed into my cabinets and I find myself forgetting what is up there so I have started to write that down. I want to buy a pantry just waiting for the right price.

The fruit stock is a great idea!!! Would I use that the same as chicken or beef stock or do you use it specifically for certain dishes??

I just joined the site and I am learning so much, thank you all!!

My house freezer is packed with frozen veggies,butter,some raviolis,potstickers and a few tubs of stock and leftovers.

I have a small chest freezer in my garage I use for all meat.

My freezer are full of various meats and chicken. Porkchop, Porksteak, Gound pork and ground beef and ice cubes. lol.

Sad, very sad... I haven't been home much in the past two weeks so i've not gone grocery shopping... Perhaps today... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom