What's the strangest thing you've ever eaten?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chefkathleen

Sous Chef
As I've said before my DH was in the Marines. He had a leave and I flew over to SE Asia to spend some time with him. He knows my motto, try everything at least once. So as he had been exploring the culture, he said that he wanted me to try Balut. Of course I said yes. I will never eat it again, I'm glad I tried it but, never again. It's a nearly developed duck egg that's been boiled. Being a Marine, he can eat bugs and not bat an eye. My eyes batted a lot that day.
What's the weirdest/strangest things you've ate?

As I've said before my DH was in the Marines. He had a leave and I flew over to SE Asia to spend some time with him. He knows my motto, try everything at least once. So as he had been exploring the culture, he said that he wanted me to try Balut. Of course I said yes. I will never eat it again, I'm glad I tried it but, never again. It's a nearly developed duck egg that's been boiled. Being a Marine, he can eat bugs and not bat an eye. My eyes batted a lot that day.
What's the weirdest/strangest things you've ate?
thank you for that laugh. i need to think on this a bit.

nothing too neat around here, okay-coolness factor- i've eaten alligator & frog in fla, though. love beef tongue sammiches, raw or nearly raw foods, (sashimi & pittsburgh-rare steaks, other seafood/shellfish), & i adore escargot. readily available nearby.

we had gator, rattlesnake and armadillo when we lived in Fl. but never beef tongue! LOL. Had frog legs in Mi and fried squirrel and other game in Ohio. And yet I won't eat yogurt!:LOL:

yogurt? hm..... i say it's a love/hate item. like buttermilk. i tried possum before without being notified & i loved it!

beef tongue, eel, rabbit, squirrel, pickled pigs feet

That's right! There was the coolest one of a kind cafe in Auburndale Florida that had all kinds of weird food like that to eat. And a sweet old cracker that ran/owned it until he died. All the antiques and collectables that were in it are long gone. It was one of those places that you walked around looking at the decor while waiting on your food. Fried catfish served in cast iron skillets, sweet tea served in Mason jars. What a hoot!
And just plain old southern cookin.

:ohmy: calf brains and eggs :ohmy:

I am a pretty adventurous eater and will try just about anything once!

pickled pigs feet
pickled eggs
squirrel
frog legs so fresh that they twitched when you threw them on the grill :LOL:
gator
oxtails
never tried tongue though

I've never had eel or pigs feet. How are they?

Eating pickled pigs feet (the ones from the jar in the grocery store) is like eating a pickled piece of flubber with clingy, tangy jelly. Of course, you've got those toes staring at you too :LOL:.

Probably the chocolate-coated insects that a classmate brought to class in high school. Crispy and crunchy. Tasted a little like chocolate-covered pretzels. Nothing too weird since then. And...it's been a looooong time since "then."

That's right! There was the coolest one of a kind cafe in Auburndale Florida that had all kinds of weird food like that to eat. And a sweet old cracker that ran/owned it until he died. All the antiques and collectables that were in it are long gone. It was one of those places that you walked around looking at the decor while waiting on your food. Fried catfish served in cast iron skillets, sweet tea served in Mason jars. What a hoot!
And just plain old southern cookin.
OLD CRACKER!! :LOL::ROFLMAO:

hey i drink sweet tea outta mason jars!! and we serve outta our ci skillet!! :LOL: it sounds like a cracker barrell restaurant.

Eating pickled pigs feet (the ones from the jar in the grocery store) is like eating a pickled piece of flubber with clingy, tangy jelly. Of course, you've got those toes staring at you too :LOL:.

yup on the feet and they don't always have a pedi!! :LOL:

does anyone remember sanford and son? i remember an episode where lamont walked in to see his dad sitting at the kitchen table. he said whatcha doing pop? fred said paying the bills. lamont said whats for dinner pops? beef tongue, at which point fred grabs hold of a long handled fork from the pot, lifted the tongue out and licked the envelope with it, then put it back in the pot. my mom and i laughed our tails off and she made smoked tongue within the week and tried to pull that fork thing on me and i said ut ah and hid the fork. :LOL: the only thing that bothered me were the taste buds.

I don't know about strange, but I've eaten gator, snake, turtle, frog legs, snails, lots of game, rabbit, squirrel, muskrat, deer, caribou, various upland birds, pigs feet, pigs ears, souse, head cheese, chicken hearts, livers gizzards ect....
But I guess my strangest choice was to order Long Island Duck in a restraunt in North Dakoda:LOL:. What was I thinking!

I don't know about strange, but I've eaten gator, snake, turtle, frog legs, snails, lots of game, rabbit, squirrel, muskrat, deer, caribou, various upland birds, pigs feet, pigs ears, souse, head cheese, chicken hearts, livers gizzards ect....
But I guess my strangest choice was to order Long Island Duck in a restraunt in North Dakoda:LOL:. What was I thinking!
:LOL::LOL:

Was he tough? Sounds like a long way to fly to end up on the dinner table!
Pigs feet don't sound too good. But I'd at least taste.
Had beef heart once. Didn't like it, too "strong" in flavor for me.

:ohmy: calf brains and eggs :ohmy:

I am a pretty adventurous eater and will try just about anything once!

pickled pigs feet
pickled eggs
squirrel
frog legs so fresh that they twitched when you threw them on the grill :LOL:
gator
oxtails
never tried tongue though

gosh! i guess brains and eggs are strange. i ate them as a teenager growing up in the south. loved them. my dad and i did. mom, and sis not so much.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom