What's the strangest thing you've ever eaten?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Weirdest thing I've ever eaten was a salty concoction of condensed tomato soup with some egg yolks stirred in and cooked till hot and then served on toast

Revolting.

gosh! i guess brains and eggs are strange. i ate them as a teenager growing up in the south. loved them. my dad and i did. mom, and sis not so much.

Yeah, in the south they sell brains in milk gravy in a can. YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've never had eel or pigs feet. How are they?
The only eel I have had is at sushi places. It is cooked and covered in a BBQ type sauce and is absolutely delicious. For people who are squeamish about trying sushi, eel is one of the easier things to start with (as long as they do not know what it is).

I reckon strange is a relative term. Most of the strange items mentioned here, I grew up eating.
Chittlins, frog legs, eel, tripe, souse, brains, all manner of wild game and fish, innards of various critters..etc.
I always viewed myself at the top of the food chain...I eat darn near ever'thing! :LOL:

I reckon strange is a relative term. Most of the strange items mentioned here, I grew up eating.
Chittlins, frog legs, eel, tripe, souse, brains, all manner of wild game and fish, innards of various critters..etc.
I always viewed myself at the top of the food chain...I eat darn near ever'thing! :LOL:

:ROFLMAO:

wow!! you guys are adventurous!
when I was a kid, I tried fried earthworms. my Da raised them for
the bait shops in the area where I grew up. I thought that was
fairly adventurous UNTIL I found out that sodium erythrobate, which
is in hot dogs and a lot of cheaper lunchmeats, is actually earthworms!
since then probably the most strange thing I have eaten is abalone
and frogs legs. I am just too squeamish for much of anything!

hey, you want strange?? did anyone see that Anthony Bourdain
dude when he ate the unwashed pig rectum???
ohhhhhhhhh...:sick:

Sodium erythrobate is not actually earthworms. That is an urban myth. It is made from sugars, not worms.

Sounds like me when I grew up too. My maternal grandfather was an old country boy (actually both maternal and paternal were, but he seemed more so for some reason) and every year after the first frost in Ohio, we'd go hunting. Through the summer months we'd go frog giggin' and fishing, but in the winter months we ate deer, squirrel, rabbit, turkey (wild), pheasant ... I can't remember everything we'd hunt and eat. He'd make his own cracklin's too, when he got older though, he'd just buy 'em from a local butcher.

When in the USMC, I ate some funky stuff ... balut is one of the more civilized things. It's not the duck that's the best part, it's the "juice". But grubs, worms, fungi, and other forest yummies were less fun. And when in cold weather training, we'd have to catch small birds unlucky enough to get near us ... including but not limited to robins, wrens, mocking birds, etc. We didn't know all the names of them ... they were just food. Arctic rabbitt if you were lucky ... very lucky. Then there was pathfinder school in the Florida panhandle ... this is where we got the nickname "Snake-eaters" ... plenty of rattlesnake to eat there.

My paternal grandfather was in the USMC as well (actually both were, but this is his story :)) told me of Chinese meat markets when he was over there during the early 50's. He said when you walked in, the meat hung from the celing in rows. The front was rats, then cats, then dogs, chickens and other fowl, then goats, hogs, then beef. It was a monetary thing, the more money you had to spend, the further into the market you went. Most people were poor in that neighborhood, and they remained up front and bought rats, cats, dogs, etc.

I had curried goat in an Indian restaurant once. I couldn't really taste the meat because the flavor of the curry overpowered it, but it had a lot of bones, which I didn't like.

I'm pretty boring, because I can't remember eating anything strange, except for tripe.

About 7 years ago, I worked at an Irish Pub in my hometown, NY. The town had an Italian festival going on that weekend. The bartender took an hour off and decided to see what kind of goodies the festival had.

I was in the kitchen when he came back. He said, "Try some of this." To the eye, it just looked like a marinara sauce with some meat in it. I had a couple spoonfuls. It wasn't that bad, just had a weird texture. Then, he told me what it was. :sick: I almost had to run to the bathroom!

:LOL::LOL:

dismal swamp? thats in the VA area right? we went to VA last summer to kings and busch. it smelled so nice and smokey like BBQ. i asked someone if there was a BBQ restaurant close by cuz it smelled so good. i was told what i was smelling was the swamp on fire and when the wind was blowing right thats what we were smelling.

and i would also like to say thank you for your service.

Freefallin, reading your post sounds like we coulda been neighbors.
Thank you and your granfather for your service!

Aw shux :) It was all fun, I'd do it all over again ... got paid to blow stuff up :LOL: I spent the first 18 years of my life in central Ohio, did a lot of hunting and fishing in Pickerington/Canal Winchester region where my family had a dairy farm.

After the Marines, I spent the next 15 years in central Florida before moving to Tx. last year. I spent a LOT of time in the swamps there (Fl.), a Land Surveyor by trade ... many people's properties also include swampland, the big one in the area was the Green Swamp, 2nd in size only to the Everglades in Fl.

Aw shux :) It was all fun, I'd do it all over again ... got paid to blow stuff up :LOL: I spent the first 18 years of my life in central Ohio, did a lot of hunting and fishing in Pickerington/Canal Winchester region where my family had a dairy farm.

After the Marines, I spent the next 15 years in central Florida before moving to Tx. last year. I spent a LOT of time in the swamps there (Fl.), a Land Surveyor by trade ... many people's properties also include swampland, the big one in the area was the Green Swamp, 2nd in size only to the Everglades in Fl.
sorry i added my thanks for your service to the other reply. but thank you. i always say we have to support the troops no matter what.

sorry i added my thanks for your service to the other reply. but thank you. i always say we have to support the troops no matter what.

Sorry, missed it. When I get emails stating a reply had been made, I go and read the reply it mentions and sometimes miss ones that got posted in between. Sorry :rolleyes:

Sorry, missed it. When I get emails stating a reply had been made, I go and read the reply it mentions and sometimes miss ones that got posted in between. Sorry :rolleyes:
nothing to be sorry for sweetie. muahhhhhhhh

I don't know about strange, but I've eaten gator, snake, turtle, frog legs, snails, lots of game, rabbit, squirrel, muskrat, deer, caribou, various upland birds, pigs feet, pigs ears, souse, head cheese, chicken hearts, livers gizzards ect....
But I guess my strangest choice was to order Long Island Duck in a restraunt in North Dakoda:LOL:. What was I thinking!

what is long island duck?

i've had...

beef tongue
fried squirrel
fried rabbit (wild and tame)
pickled pigs feet
possum >>>>>>>>>>>>>NASTY STUFF!
barbecued racoon
frogs legs
deer
fried and baked, duck
baked, lamb
ox tail soup
veal
tripe >>> in a mexican dish
chicken gizzards
turkey tails
chicken and turkey necks
beef and turkey hearts

Janet, what was that dish called? Does sound strange. LOL

My ex-MIL used to serve it to me with some regularity and called it welsh rarebit. It wasn't like any other version of this dish I've ever seen and had no beer or cheese.

Basically she dumped a can of condensed tomato soup in a pan and as it heated, stirred in 3 or 4 eggs, some celery salt and a spoonful of sour cream. This clotted mess was spooned over toast and decorated with dill. She almost always included a side scoop of cottage cheese and some canned peach slices.

Very special.

Back
Top Bottom