"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Sir Loin that recipe for Mahi-Mahi with Coconut Caramel Sauce looks fantastic! In fact the sauce looks like one that could enhance other dishes too. Is that your own personal recipe that you created yourself? (I want to add a credit in my saved copy.)

I was going to have Kung Pao Shrimp but in reading Sir Loin's sauce recipe I realized that I forgot to buy fresh ginger, so now I'm debating going back to the store or having a steak instead.
I first had the mahi-mahi in coconut caramel sauce at Ana Mandara in San Francisco about 5 or 6 years ago. They have since removed it from the menu for some unknown reason. I used to belong to an international chef's message board and it took myself and three other chefs to perfect the sauce. I kept getting ice cream syrup until one of the chef's found and old Vietnamese recipe for caramel sauce for fish with nuoc mam (Vietnamese fish sauce) in the ingredients, which didn't sound very appetizing on ice cream. Then all I had to do was to replace the water in the recipe with coconut milk to duplicate the dish I had at Ana Mandara.

BTW if you're ever in San Francisco and looking for a dinner spot, I highly recommend Ana Mandara. Exceptional take on Vietnamese cuisine by an outstanding chef, a French Colonial Mansion dining room designed by a Hollywood set designer (Chef Khai Duong's business partners are Don Johnson and Cheech Marin) and the prices are reasonable for such outstanding cuisine. The restaurant is located in Ghirardelli Square, adjacent to Fisherman's Wharf.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:09 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Thanks SL! The fish sauce sounds fine for a coconut-caramel sauce to be served over fish. I agree with you that it doesn't sound too good for ice cream.

At present it seems unlikely I'll visit S.F. but here in L.A. we also have lots of Vietnamese cuisine which I've been intending to try more of.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #23
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Chicken Teriyaki stir-fry with jimica, asparagus, zucchini, carrots, spring onions, and red bell pepper served over rice at our house tonight.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:22 PM   #24
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I am browning some ground beef and we will each have what we are in the mood for. James will have cheeseburger wraps and I will have nachos with refried beans, cheese, ground beef, onion, jalapenos, sour cream, and salsa.

Oh yeah, orange cake with chocolate frosting for dessert.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:27 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
At present it seems unlikely I'll visit S.F. but here in L.A. we also have lots of Vietnamese cuisine which I've been intending to try more of.
San Francisco has a lot of Vietnamese restaurants too, but this place is special. Chef Khai is a graduate of Le Cordon Bleu Paris (cuisine), Ecole Lenotre Francaise Gastronomique (pastries), and Academie Du Vin (wines). He prepares classic Vietnamese cuisine using French techniques.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Slow roasted pork belly, with potatoes dauphinoise done in a muffin tin, some kind of green.....
First time trying a pork belly roast. Took my eye off of the broil for two minutes and singed the crackling, but caught it in time. It was magnificent. Definitely do it again. My GF said I have to..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00302.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	13037  
Old 02-15-2012, 10:11 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

awesome as usual, rock.

dw made another plain roasted chicken, rice and beans, and cranberry sauce.

my god i'm sick of plain roasted chicken. we've been eating them at least once a week, sometimes more. but i shouldn't complain since it feeds 3 humans and 3 cats for $5.

after we're done eating, i strip all of the meat and any ooky skin off the carcass, chop it up, and dw brings it to our outdoor cats. then she has to referee the cats because they fight over it.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:21 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Man, there's no better entertainment than watching outdoor cats fighting over a chicken carcass...

BT did you ever consider baking your chicken instead of roasting it?
Old 02-15-2012, 10:23 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
awesome as usual, rock.

dw made another plain roasted chicken, rice and beans, and cranberry sauce.

my god i'm sick of plain roasted chicken. we've been eating them at least once a week, sometimes more. but i shouldn't complain since it feeds 3 humans and 3 cats for $5.

after we're done eating, i strip all of the meat and any ooky skin off the carcass, chop it up, and dw brings it to our outdoor cats. then she has to referee the cats because they fight over it.
I love plain roasted chicken.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:28 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

you're welcome to have my share next week, rock.

and the week after that, and the week after that, and a few days later, and then the week after that..

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinner