"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 02-15-2012, 09:34 PM   #31
Executive Chef
My Kung Pao Shrimp came out pretty good! Due to my limited resources it took me hours to prepare, and due to limited resources (no garbage disposal, no dish washer) it will likely take me a few days to recover, but it was worth it.

This time I took good notes, measured ingredients (both weight and volume), timed steps, got some of the method language pinned down. Even harder, extrapolating a single serving into a 2-3-4 serving. I'll defer that until later.

Meanwhile I have dragon breath. I wish I had some paint that needs stripping. I like really hot recipes. I'll have to tone this Kung Pao down to make it fit for the masses, although of course I'll add a note of encouragement for those who like spicy food.

Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:44 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Man, there's no better entertainment than watching outdoor cats fighting over a chicken carcass...
boy howdy, it's fun. dw keeps the peace between them, but i like to do a little mutual of omaha/marlon perkins thing with some whispered narration...

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:03 PM   #33
Executive Chef
My Kung Pao Shrimp came out really good! I've already beat the 5-6 nearby Chinese restaurants I frequent except my favorite. I've been stealing ideas as best as I can, mostly by tasting their food and occasional questions asked about the menu. While by no means is my Kung Pao ready for prime time but at least I'm converging on a recipe that I'm willing to launch as a contender for a good Kung Pao Shrimp recipe.

As far as I understand them I think I'm at least within shooting distance of using traditional ingredients. I had to leave off the aji-mirin because that's Japanese and AFAIK Kung Pao is Chinese and could possibly be Thai but IMO could never be Japanese. Does anybody know if this is true, or do you know what the closest Japanese is to Kung Pao?

I love the dried chili peppers and toasted nuts!

Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote