What's the trick slick? Dinner 15 Feburary 2012

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrankZ

Site Team
Staff member
I have the duck in the oven for the confit. I have to duck stock on the stove reducing.

Tonight is duck risotto.

I plan on a salad with it.

Mahi-mahi with coconut caramel sauce, brown rice, mixed vegetables, and a 2009 Le Merlettaie Offida Pecorino

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]MAHI-MAHI IN COCONUT CARAMEL SAUCE[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Marinade:[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]4 Tbs sesame oil[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]¼ cup lemon juice[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1/3 cup lite soy sauce[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1/3 cup hoi sin sauce[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 tsp turbinado sugar[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 Tbs chili garlic sauce[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 tsp Chinese five spice[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 tsp ground ginger[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Sauce:[/FONT]

• [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 cups demerara sugar[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 1/2 cups coconut milk[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]3 tablespoons Asian fish sauce [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1/4 cup minced shallots[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 Tbs minced fresh ginger[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 clove garlic, peeled and minced[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]fresh ground black pepper[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 scallions, white and green parts, sliced very thin[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Marinate mahi-mahi fillets for at least one hour, but no more than 4 hours. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]In a sauté pan or skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Remove fish fillets from marinade and dry with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper, dredge in flour, and sauté until cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Fish is cooked through when it flakes easily with a fork. Remove fish and keep warm.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Place sugar in a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over medium heat. Whisk sugar until melted and dark amber colored, 3 to 5 minutes. Gently add 1/2 cup coconut milk. Mixture will bubble vigorously. Stir over medium heat until caramelized sugar is dissolved. Stir in fish sauce, shallots, ginger, garlic, and remaining coconut milk and stir over medium-high heat until desired thickness. Pour sauce over plated fish fillets, then garnish with green onions and sprinkle with fresh ground black pepper to taste. [/FONT]

[/FONT]

Last edited:
Role playing game tonight. We will bring our "TV dinner" plates with meat loaf, rødkål, and brown basmati rice for DH.

I'm having the rest of the salmon patties and creamed spinach from yesterday. I'll jazz up the white sauce with a little cream cheese and parm.

Sir Loin that recipe for Mahi-Mahi with Coconut Caramel Sauce looks fantastic! In fact the sauce looks like one that could enhance other dishes too. Is that your own personal recipe that you created yourself? (I want to add a credit in my saved copy.)

I was going to have Kung Pao Shrimp but in reading Sir Loin's sauce recipe I realized that I forgot to buy fresh ginger, so now I'm debating going back to the store or having a steak instead.

We are having golumpki (also known as cabbage rolls), beets, and salad.

DH is having spelunked chicken vegetable soup, I'm having slices from yesterday's Valentine's triple dipped caramel/chocolate apple.

Revising my earlier comment, I bucked up and drove to the store and got some fresh ginger, so my Kung Pao Shrimp is on the plate tonight. It's my own version of the recipe that I'm perfecting.

Andy M. said:
What's that? Did you find it in a cave?

Sort of. Put on my mining helmet and dug through the freezer....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom