Whats the weirdest thing you've eaten?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
Granted what I'm about to list to some may not be considered weird but to a teenager where I grew up these were pretty off the wall.

Rabbit
Turtle
Ox Tail

Now if my mom were still alive I wouldn't hesitate to devour her rabbit smother in gravy.........oh you would of loved this........everyone did

As for the turtle.......I really don't recall what this tasted like.....probably like chicken :D

Now the Ox Tail..........well it wasn't till my teenage years that I found out she was using this in her veg soup. Believe me I made sure I only ate the broth and vegs after discovering this. I mean really would you eat a horses tail..........ugh!!

Knowing my father I'm sure I ate a lot of other strange things and I've just chose to block them out of my memory. Granted this was a man that would drink a few.....well more than a few beers and decide well the ole pot of this or that needed some nourishment with a good swig of beer added. Needless to say we were rewarded with Micky D's (McDonalds) when it turned out to be inedible :D

monk fish liver sushi
fishhead soup
bug soup (survival training)
blood pudding and blood sausage
raw eggs (my mom would blend a raw egg into ovaltine on really cold mornings. she called it a norwegian milk shake because it was suppose to keep you warm. i'm not sure it worked, but i have a nice shiny coat.)

Ten years ago, somewhere in a half-way decent restaurant in a dusty southwestern province in China, the host placed a piece of meat on my plate (this is a Chinese gesture honoring the guest). I looked at it and somehow avoided embarassing both of us by eventually burying it under some vegetables on my plate.

From the chunky cube-cut of the meat, I could tell it wasn't frog's legs (which I've tasted in the past). But this thing in front of me definitely used to be part of a frog. I could tell from the skin it still had on!

I guess this is more properly an input to weird foods I've never eaten.

I love frog legs! I had a great-aunt who was afraid to cook them because they kept hopping out of the pan. I don't really consider anything that I have eaten as being wierd though. Unless you could call squirrel pot pie wierd.

You'd be surprised what some boy scouts on their eagle scout hikes will decide to eat. :)

Among the strangest things I've had are king snake, turtle, scorpion, alligator (he was really old and didn't even move when we walked up to him, just looked at us.), wild turkey, roasted black ants (with some cinnamon and salt they're not too bad), and snails.

Weeks said:
You'd be surprised what some boy scouts on their eagle scout hikes will decide to eat. :)

Among the strangest things I've had are king snake, turtle, scorpion, alligator (he was really old and didn't even move when we walked up to him, just looked at us.), wild turkey, roasted black ants (with some cinnamon and salt they're not too bad), and snails.

weeks, you killed and ate an alligator!!!!! :shock:
i wann party with you guys...

crewsk said:
What was the scorpion like?

Gamy. Sorta like a land-lobster, only without the fishy taste. To be honest, it was very neutral-tasting.

buckytom said:
weeks, you killed and ate an alligator!!!!!

He was old, and I was carrying a Remington 700 .308. :) I decided he'd lived long enough. He provided enough food for 4 guys for 2 days, you realize. That first night, he was fried in some leeks jim found on the creekbed, and spiced with wild onion. Good stuff when you're hungry. We salted the rest and packed it in ziplock bags in the ice-cold creek water. Kept for 2 days.

Scouts aren't all that bad, but I hated it when I was a kid. The only thing I liked was being out in the middle of nowhere in the appalachian mountains or in the nevada desert (the 2 places we visited frequently), with nothing but our ingeniuity to live off of. We got by fairly well, I'd say.

Weeks said:
crewsk said:
What was the scorpion like?

Gamy. Sorta like a land-lobster, only without the fishy taste. To be honest, it was very neutral-tasting.

buckytom said:
weeks, you killed and ate an alligator!!!!!

He was old, and I was carrying a Remington 700 .308. :) I decided he'd lived long enough. He provided enough food for 4 guys for 2 days, you realize. That first night, he was fried in some leeks jim found on the creekbed, and spiced with wild onion. Good stuff when you're hungry. We salted the rest and packed it in ziplock bags in the ice-cold creek water. Kept for 2 days.

Scouts aren't all that bad, but I hated it when I was a kid. The only thing I liked was being out in the middle of nowhere in the appalachian mountains or in the nevada desert (the 2 places we visited frequently), with nothing but our ingeniuity to live off of. We got by fairly well, I'd say.

that's too cool. i've gone hiking in the appalachians with nothing but a knife and blanket before. lived off of bug soup, berries, roasted acorns (yuk!!!) and onion grass. i could have eaten alligator sashimi after a few days i guess...

I have never been adventurous like that as far as eating... but, if you're thrown into a situation for survival, you do what you have to... especially if you are stranding somewhere not close to a body of water and you can't rely on eating fish.... and vegetation is hard, you don't know what is poisonous or not.

I have never been adventurous like that as far as eating... but, if you're thrown into a situation for survival, you do what you have to... especially if you are stranded somewhere not close to a body of water and you can't rely on eating fish.... and vegetation is hard, you don't know what is poisonous or not.

juliev, did you stutter? :D

one of the best things you can eat, but it is disgusting, is bug soup. just find some soft bodied bugs like worms and grubs (just remember, no hairy ones), and throw in some ants caterpillars and other bugs with exoskeletons, grind it up, add water, and enjoy!!!!!

buckytom said:
juliev, did you stutter? :D

one of the best things you can eat, but it is disgusting, is bug soup. just find some soft bodied bugs like worms and grubs (just remember, no hairy ones), and throw in some ants caterpillars and other bugs with exoskeletons, grind it up, add water, and enjoy!!!!!

no.. things are just acting funky.. I tried to edit that first post.. and it printed it instead when I didn't want it to.. lol

I'd rather have them chocolate covered if I had to eat anything like that

Buckytom, I have these huge beatles around my house(they are about the size of my 2 thumbs put together). Would they work?

Seriously though, I don't think I could eat bug soup if I saw what was in it.

I was a tomboy when I was little.. loved to be outside.. go hiking..etc.. I used to love to catch grasshoppers and those praying mantises (sp?). And, there was another bug .. kinda like a praying mantis called a walking stick? Those bugs used to fascinate me. We could throw those in for a delicacy.

I saw a walking stick the other day! My kids went nuts when I picked it up!!

I think your additions would give it a really nice flavor & color Juliev!

Those are the neatest creatures.. and Yes, it's all about presentation.

Back
Top Bottom