What's to eat, Pete? Feb 16/12

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thta is kind of why I wanted to save the meatloaf.. for sandwiches tomorrow but tomorrow is salad day at work.. decisions decisions!!

When will you get your stuff out of storage?

There's the crux of the matter. I'm house hunting. I think I'd gladly pay a thousand dollars if I could have that exact date given to me today. I haven't a clue. First I have to find the house.

Is "salad day" just your habit or is it some sort of formal thing?

Last edited:
Working on a Cassoulet Castlenaudary type dish. Pork belly, home made sausage, chicken breast, etc. Going on 2.5 hours now. I have to turn it off and run a few errands.

Attachments

• DSC00312.jpg
    DSC00312.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 199
There's the crux of the matter. I'm house hunting. I think I'd gladly pay a thousand dollars if I could have that exact date given to me today. I haven't a clue. When I get my house and my new kitchen set up I'm going to invite the entire membership of CD over for dinner to help me celebrate! ;) ;) ;)

Is "salad day" just your habit or is it some sort of formal thing?

I love a good salad but rarely prepare one for myself. At work they have "salad day" on Fridays and you can go in and build your own. The trouble is I always end up eating too much of it and feel sick the rest of the workday so I banned myself from eating them the last few weeks. :ermm:

Hope your house turns up soon! :)

Last edited:
Kathleen had dinner out with a friend so I get to have dinner by myself. I feel like today is the first day I haven't spent living in the kitchen.

I ordered lamb gorkhali and some nan.

:yum:

I love a good salad but rarely prepare one for myself. At work they have "salad day" on Fridays and you can go in and build your own. The trouble is I always end up eating too much of it and feel sick the rest of the workday so I banned myself from eating them the last few weeks. :ermm:

Hope your house turns up soon! :)

Thanks Merlot! :) BTW you're my favorite red wine, followed by Chianti...

That's the reason I hate "all you can eat" restaurants. You get the idea that you aren't getting your money's worth if you don't pig out. I always hate myself when I pig out. That's one reason I cook my own food and use a scale and aim for definite proportions. I am probably as motivated as a professional chef supervising a restaurant kitchen where the chef wants to ensure that none of the customers are cheated with short proportions, yet at the same time the restaurant cannot serve excess proportions or the profit line will suffer.

This is why I think even amateur chefs and home cooks should adopt many of the professional restaurant ideas and procedures. They are professionals and we have much to learn from them. In their case they must turn a profit. In our case we must eat healthy food for our wellbeing. In spite of the different goals I think we all converge on similar objectives.

Thanks Merlot! :) BTW you're my favorite red wine, followed by Chianti...

That's the reason I hate "all you can eat" restaurants. You get the idea that you aren't getting your money's worth if you don't pig out. I always hate myself when I pig out. That's one reason I cook my own food and use a scale and aim for definite proportions. I am probably as motivated as a professional chef supervising a restaurant kitchen where the chef wants to ensure that none of the customers are cheated with short proportions, yet at the same time the restaurant cannot serve excess proportions or the profit line will suffer.

This is why I think even amateur chefs and home cooks should adopt many of the professional restaurant ideas and procedures. They are professionals and we have much to learn from them. In their case they must turn a profit. In our case we must eat healthy food for our wellbeing. In spite of the different goals I think we all converge on similar objectives.

I like most wine, merlot, chianti both but I actually prefer beer.... It's strange, with the name and all. :huh:

I dislike all you can eat places and that is always what my family picks when they get together and go out. I guess for a large group it is easier for them. After my grandmother's funeral my immediate family paid for anyone who wanted to come to an all you can eat chain and had a private room for everyone to gather. Ofc, food wasn't the focal point at that time.

I made Vegetable Curry Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network (just nuke your vegis in a bowl, not in the bag). I leave out the sugar and corn starch and use fresh or frozen chillis, not dried chillis. We make this rather regularly and it's very good. I forgot the turmeric and I don't know what else I did wrong, but it just wasn't as good texturewise or flavourwise as usual.

On the other hand, the Kashmiri beef was delicious. I followed the recipe on the jar of Patak's Kashmiri Masala Paste. The instructions were for lamb, but they say you can substitute beef, chicken, or vegis. I substituted pasata for the canned tomatoes. Oh my. That was really tasty and not too hot, in spite of what it says on the jar. I will definitely be making that again. I might add some hot peppers next time.

DH had brown basmati rice with his.

Went out and had Chicken lettuce wraps and orange peel shrimp. A good night indeed. Went well with a few Hoegaarden.

Went out and had Chicken lettuce wraps and orange peel shrimp. A good night indeed. Went well with a few Hoegaarden.

Please tell us more about chicken lettuce wraps. I've recently seen a recipe on this and I may post it. I think it was--of all odd places--reading a novel. I know I have notes to support this.

And I can dig for an Asian recipe I have for similar (without chicken but +shrimp dried).

I had a single pork tenderloin. I butterflied it and cut it into three equal pieces, pounded them out with the heel of my hand, and seasoned them well with herbs, salt & pepper. Then I fried it "Tatsu style" with flour, egg wash, and Panko crumbs, being very careful not to overcook. Steamed rice and oven roasted asparagus completed the meal. Oh yeah......Steve and I will share a sandwich with the third piece tomorrow.

Is there any cut of meat more versatile or delicious than a pork tenderloin?

It appears you feed a large family BT. That must be nice when you order Chinese and can get such a large variety of dishes. I'm single so I usually have to order fewer entrees (usually just myself or myself+guest = 1-2 entrees) or end up with mass quantities of leftovers, and I'm not particularly fond of leftovers.

not a big family; there's just 3 of us. and 2 parrots, who eat most human food.

i love to order a lot of dishes when getting chinese food. a little from column a, a little from column b as it were. :pig:

but we do end up with leftovers. of all types of foods, chinese leftovers are probably the best tasting.

really, though, it wasn't that much. just 2 soups, an appy (the shrimp rolls), fried rice, and one entree for each of us.

and now i have enough leftovers for another 2 meals for me to take to work.

Back
Top Bottom