What's to eat, Pete? Feb 16/12

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
I've got an itty bitty chicken thawing. I can't decide how I'm going to do it yet. Rubbed, roasted, beer butt, stuffed with lemon and onion...but its going to be roasted either in the oven or on the BBQ.

Sides are as yet undetermined as well. I am going to the market so I'll maybe get some asparagus, I like that with chicken. There will be a big salad and likely potatoes instead of rice or pasta. If I ask my kids they will ask for mashed potatoes, so I'm not asking! I might roast them with some garlic and onions.

Dessert is shortbread, and possibly a pound cake if I get my rear in gear. I've got some berries to use up as a topping so I need a bottom!

...I've got some berries to use up as a topping so I need a bottom!

I'll just leave that alone and tell you SO is working late so I'll be eating Valentines Day leftovers of flank steak stuffed with feta and spinach and buttered boiled yukon golds.

Spinach sauteed in essence of bacon; something to use up a coupla eggs - maybe just scrambled. V. Day pecan choc chip cookies. I hid them in the freezer but it's not working.

Working on a Cassoulet Castlenaudary type dish. Pork belly, home made sausage, chicken breast, etc. Going on 2.5 hours now. I have to turn it off and run a few errands.

Last edited:
i have some premio sausage (hot and sweet) and turkey meat, so i'm thinking meataballs anda saw-seeg en sugo di pomodoro.

i speak excellent italiano.

I've got an itty bitty chicken thawing. I can't decide how I'm going to do it yet. Rubbed, roasted, beer butt, stuffed with lemon and onion...but its going to be roasted either in the oven or on the BBQ.

Alix, have you seen the recent thread on Spatchcoked chicken? I like the word "butterflied" better, but I've been on a kick of cooking chicken that way....in a very hot oven. Delish.

I don't know yet what's for dinner so I'll be back later.

After my horrible tuna pastry I need to redeem myself in the eyes of my husband. He picked out a meat pastry with hard boiled eggs. The recipe calls for pie dough on the bottom and puff pastry on top. I have frozen puff pastry but do not feel like making pie dough so will probably just cover the bottom. finger crossed its not terrible

Split pea soup with garlic & olive oil fried croutons. Leafy green salad with hard boiled eggs and a sour cream based ranch dressing. Home made vanilla ice cream with a rum raisin sauce.

Last edited:
i was voted down. we're having takeout chinese.

wonton soup, seaweed eggdrop soup, shrimp rolls, chicken chow mein, steamed chicken and broccoli with garlic sauce, steamed szechuan shrimp with extra spicy sauce, and young chow fried rice.

It appears you feed a large family BT. That must be nice when you order Chinese and can get such a large variety of dishes. I'm single so I usually have to order fewer entrees (usually just myself or myself+guest = 1-2 entrees) or end up with mass quantities of leftovers, and I'm not particularly fond of leftovers.

Looks like steak for me tonight. Nothing special just pan fried ribeye, and roasted potatoes+peppers&onions with that. Or maybe I'll have baked potatoes+peppers&onions with that. ;)

Last edited:
It is the end of the week so tonight will be leftovers. Not sure what's in the fridge but I'll find out soon.

I'm making a pattie melt with swiss, fried onions and saurkraut on grilled rye. I don't think the saurkraut is traditional but it seems reasonable.

Maybe leftover meatloaf but I don't really want leftovers so still thinking on it!

be sure to report back how many times you flip it :angel:

You'll recall from the topic that I support the "flip once" school of thought. Cooking in a pan however I've had concerns with my steak getting burned stuck to the pan. It does not help at all that most of my cookware is in storage, including my cast iron skillet, and I'm stuck with using a wok with what appears to be an anodized surface and I have been having trouble cleaning the surface fully. This wok is probably going in the trash or to Goodwill when I get my good stuff back.

Also can't quite make up my mind if I'll use a bit of marinade for a short period. I used some balsamic vinegar, garlic and olive oil last time and thought it was good. (That would be good on bread too!) :)

Maybe leftover meatloaf but I don't really want leftovers so still thinking on it!

You should save your meatloaf for sandwiches! That's IMO the best use of leftover meatloaf. When I've had nut bread I've made meatloaf sandwiches with that, and the flavors might seem contradictory but I liked it.

Of course then you'll have to figure out something else for dinner...

Last edited:
You'll recall from the topic that I support the "flip once" school of thought. Cooking in a pan however I've had concerns with my steak getting burned stuck to the pan. It does not help at all that most of my cookware is in storage, including my cast iron skillet, and I'm stuck with using a wok with what appears to be an anodized surface and I have been having trouble cleaning the surface fully. This wok is probably going in the trash or to Goodwill when I get my good stuff back.

Also can't quite make up my mind if I'll use a bit of marinade for a short period. I used some balsamic vinegar, garlic and olive oil last time and thought it was good. (That would be good on bread too!) :)

You should save your meatloaf for sandwiches! That's IMO the best use of leftover meatloaf. When I've had nut bread I've made meatloaf sandwiches with that, and the flavors might seem contradictory but I liked it.

Of course then you'll have to figure out something else for dinner...

Thta is kind of why I wanted to save the meatloaf.. for sandwiches tomorrow but tomorrow is salad day at work.. decisions decisions!!

When will you get your stuff out of storage?

I bought a rotisserie chicken today, and had a leg (drumstick & thigh) when I got home from shopping at 2pm. It was butter and garlic flavored, but too much salt for my high blood pressure.

I don't dare have any more today.

I'm just going to relax with a glass of Merlot and maybe a taste of the Havarti I bought. I'm not really hungry so I'll take advantage of that and skip a meal. I can afford it!:LOL:

A big lunch with colleagues following a tedious meeting. A nice juicy patty melt with fries and coleslaw. I am so not hungry now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom