"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-21-2006, 02:18 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Moving back to the food aspect of the thread...

Has anyone else noticed that supermarket checkout personnel can't identify the produce they're trying to check out? Many times I have had to tell a checkout person what they were holding so they could look up the UPC and ring it in. And I'm not talking about exotic stuff.

Old 02-21-2006, 02:18 PM   #12
Head Chef

I actually rebelled against the boxed stuff. Had a lot of it growing up, and frankly, didn't like most of it.

As for the rap - I put this out here strictly as a datapoint I found interesting. A while back I was reading one of the articles about John Lennon's death (it was right around that time). It was an interview with, I think, one of the people from Rolling Stone that Lennon had been talking with for an article or something when he was shot. In the interview I read, the person was asked who they thought John Lennon would be listening to today. The answer was surpirsing to me. Based on his attitudes and approach to making music, the person in the article guessed that if he were alive today, John Lennon would be a fan of......

Eminem.

John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 02:23 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.

Has anyone else noticed that supermarket checkout personnel can't identify the produce they're trying to check out? Many times I have had to tell a checkout person what they were holding so they could look up the UPC and ring it in. And I'm not talking about exotic stuff.
I get that with the younger ones.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:26 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

imagine all the slim shadys
living life in peace

you might say it's 9mm
but it's not the only ones

you might say i'm a dreamer
or i'll have to cap you in the buns...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 02:27 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
imagine all the slim shadys
living life in peace

you might say it's 9mm
but it's not the only ones

you might say i'm a dreamer
or i'll have to cap you in the buns...
Old 02-21-2006, 04:17 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
LOLOLOLOLOLO OLOLOLOLOLOLOL OLOLOLOLO oh bucky.... you're great.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:58 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

I do most of my cooking from scratch..But, in a pinch I'll use canned soup, if I've none in the freezer..I was told by my girls that I'd made a huge mistake, I didn't teach them to cook, I did it for them, thus they have been FORCED to go to foods my way and pick up dinner..You know, pay someone else, then you go in grab a bag and follow the directions on how much, of each thing and how to cook it, They pay someone to do this, of course when I made a little rejoinder, I was told, but Mom, you never worked!!! You never had a JOB!!!! Oh, okay 4 kids, 8-1/2 acers, a huge garden, diapers up to my eyebrows, cows to feed, dogs to feed, oh heck I admit it I played all day, you should see all the books I read and movies I saw, and days sitting by the pool drinking lemonade and iced tea were sooooo boring Yeah right So, I guess, I should have showed em how to open a box They did'nt need help cooking from bags I have to say though both of them are trying to learn from me, one has a good eye for it and is going to be very good at it, the other, well let's just say she is trying HARD!!

kadesma..
Old 02-21-2006, 08:12 PM   #18
Master Chef

Kadesma, I was a stay at home mom until my youngest started first grade. I also had a huge garden, and took in sewing for extra money. I did everything from making wedding and prom dresses to coats, curtains...you name it.
I got to read books while nursing my babies...LOL!
I never used convenience foods because I couldn't afford them.
Now that I don't get around so well, and have more money, I do use some boxed things: Bisquick for shortcakes and pancakes, instant mashed or au gratin potatoes, packaged rice mixes like Uncle Ben's and Rice-a-roni, Stove-Top stuffing mix, refrigerated pie crust, Grands canned biscuits, Prego or some of the better brands of Spaghetti sauce, canned soups, and certain dried seasoning mixes, like Good Season's Italian Dressing mix, Lipton's onion soup or ranch dressing mix, and Tone's garlic/herb seasoning. I also make a lot of cakes that start with a boxed cake mix.
But...my food never tastes boxed or canned. I adjust the seasonings and add fresh ingredients to make them taste better.
I don't buy boxed or frozen dinners, as such. Can't stand hamburger helper, the Lipton mixes, or a lot of that other stuff.
I do still make Kraft mac & cheese for the grandkids sometimes...they love that stuff. I think it's a kid thing.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:30 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.

All the time now Andy, lots of time they even just ask me the price! I got a beautiful head of frisse free because the fellow did'nt know what it was or how to spelll it (I'm not sure if I did either) I even told him the price, he didn't know how to weight it either !!!

kadesma
Old 02-21-2006, 08:37 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Connie, I use foods that are ready to go now and then..Depends on my time and as you said the little grand kids want mac and cheese, then heck, I give them what they like. There is nothing wrong with that at all. Right now, I'm taking advantage of having some time to just enjoy myself in the kitchen. I truly love to cook, but, I also know, that with my hands hurting me the way they are, I'm going to have to allow the kids to help. I've already given over the carving of the turkey or a roast to my s-i-l..I can do it but, I hurt afterward..So, I'm being selfish and just running to the end of my rope trying recipes and making bread..Before I might not be able to do it all anymore. Who knows, it could be years or it could be next month.

kadesma