"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-21-2006, 10:34 AM   #1
Senior Cook

What's with our kids and box cookin'?

I look in many a shopping carts these days and laugh. Young people buying nearly everything prepared for them in a box. There is a whole gereration out there that has never tasted home cooking because they, or their parents, were "too busy" or too lazy. It's a real shame that kids think mac 'n cheese comes in a box. They have never eaten scratch biscuits, waffles, or devils food cake. How about a real homemade soup that began with chicken stock that took three hours to make? Many years ago while walking down a fairway with a friend, he mentions that his wife makes a mean lasagna. I said that sounds good, what does she put in it. He begins by saying, "well she starts out with a jar of Ragu....". Oh, boy. I know there are short cuts that we all have to take, it just knocks me out that the new generations think fast food is, well, good food. Guess I've reached the "old codger" time in my life. And another thing, this rap @#%^ they call music, .....!!!!!!

Old 02-21-2006, 10:48 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil
...Guess I've reached the "old codger" time in my life...
Sounds like you have, Phil. I'm guessing your parents had the same complaints about rock and roll that you have about rap.

However, I have noticed the same thing about a lot of the shopping carts I see in the market. As hard as I tried, my daughter is like that. Her favorite soup is Oodles of Noodles.

Don't get me started about cream of mushroom soup.

Old 02-21-2006, 10:57 AM   #3
Master Chef

I used to buy the boxed dinners myself. I was 16 when I got married and had my first son and didn't really know how to cook, except for basic stuff. Now, I will only buy stuff like hot pockets and things like that for lunches at work. I will still buy like the packaged noodles that are flavored or the instant potatoes that my boys love.

As far as the music, I listened to a lot of the rap. What I can't listen to is what they call heavy metal. I listened to Ozzy and ones like him. The ones now, make noise and scream and I can't understand a word they are saying at all!!
Old 02-21-2006, 11:06 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
I would love nothing more than to be able to cook "from scratch" meals every day - unfortunately, my life does not offer that luxury. I enjoy cooking and have to "plan" to do it ahead of time, then usually freeze extras too. I would be lying if I pointed the fingers at the others in the market, because I am guilty of some of the easy stuff, cream-of-anything soup with chicken, pasta and butter, and yes, top ramen. I do put my foot down on fast food stuff though, McDonalds is a treat for us. I think the kids like alot of the packaged stuff because they see their friends with it, too. Very impressionable. My daughter has a couple of friends that dine with us, and even some of my easiest throw together meals impress them.

As the mother of 13-year-old, some of this music is horrid. But I was a huge AC/DC fan in my day, and I hear the words now and cringe. I pick and choose my battles with that, no vulger or sexual lyrics allowed. Thank goodness she seems to be passing the rap stage - we actually like some of the same music, including christian as well as pop.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:14 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Well, you know better....

[QUOTE=Michelemarie]I would love nothing more than to be able to cook "from scratch" meals every day - unfortunately, my life does not offer that luxury.
As the mother of 13-year-old, some of this music is horrid. But I was a huge AC/DC fan in my day, and I hear the words now and cringe.

.... and I too, use some things to speed up the process. I've had my share of instant stuff. At least we're tryin'.
Oh, and I had a rock band in the sixties. Stopped playing in 1968. You could actually humm the tunes 'cause they had melodies
Old 02-21-2006, 01:11 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I think the younger generations cook from boxes because that's what their parents did. Two parents...single moms... what ever. They worked hard all day and still had to come home and cook meals for the family. You do what you know. My son does a combo of semi-home made and "open a can" He's a pretty good cook concidering that most of his meals were boxed. I cook mostly from scratch these days but, I have tons of time. Music wise... can't stand rap. I can't understand what they say and when I can pick out the words, they are not to nice. I'm country all the way.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:17 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Guess I've reached the "old codger" time in my life
It isn't an old codger thing, I'm 25 and I make most everything from scratch. There are a few execeptions. I don't make my own tomato sauce but I buy good quality, homemade sauce from an italian deli. For some reason making tomato sauce scares me, don't know why. And while I like and make ice cream, it would be pretty hard to pull off triple chocolate dove ice cream bars.

A couple weeks ago I made mozz sticks for the first time. In conversation with the checkout gal, I mentioned this. She seemed very impressed and almost couldn't believe you could make them at home from scratch! Like it was only the frozen food companies that could make them. I giggled on my way out.

One thing is for sure, I want my children to know what real food tastes like. And I'll bet my boys will have a hard time finding wives that can cook as well as I.
And to quote Calvin & Hobbes
"six minutes in the microwave?! who has that kind of time?"
Old 02-21-2006, 01:19 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Another thing I've noticed is that people can grow up almost never seeing real food. Some of the stuff for babies doesn't look like food, the little dinners for toddlers and olders doesn't and even older kids eat stuff that doesn't look like it was ever fresh stuff. No wonder they cook stuff from boxes.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:21 PM   #9
Senior Cook

How old are ya'....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife
I think the younger generations cook from boxes because that's what their parents did. Two parents...single moms... what ever. They worked hard all day and still had to come home and cook meals for the family. You do what you know. My son does a combo of semi-home made and "open a can" He's a pretty good cook concidering that most of his meals were boxed. I cook mostly from scratch these days but, I have tons of time. Music wise... can't stand rap. I can't understand what they say and when I can pick out the words, they are not to nice. I'm country all the way.
...don't answer that, I'm teasing. Rachel Ray has some good tips if folks would TVO her program. However, all those short cuts are expensive. Prepared salad, packaged herbs, etc. I'm not much for country, went to school and know Dan Seals. You may remember him from England Dan and John Ford Coley of the 70's. Danny went to the country side in the 80's.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:35 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

yup, a bunch of old codgers...

lol, i heard a comedian recently say that he listens to a lot of rap music.
mostly at intersections.

i hate to say it, but rap, and hip hop, and the genre gets a bad, well, rap. it's almost kinda funny when i hear the same folks who only 40 years ago supported devil's music (rock and roll), and couldn't understand why their parents were such squares.

and that was the same for their parents with big band swing and jazz, and so on, and so on.

rap/hip hop are in exactly the same position in society today, some of the only differences being that lyrics have taken over where a melody once stood, and the whole thing is carried (not-so-simply) by percussion, electronic and otherwise. removing an obvious melody only serves to reaffirm the importance on the lyric, is what i'm trying to say.

it has all of the same qualities of social commentary as any good 60's song, but it's just not what parents and elders are used to hearing and definitely do not approve of.

hmmmm, that sounds strangely familiar. like a generational echo.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote