"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-21-2011, 08:33 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Heheh... I have a box of cards, a notebook, and an old betty crocker with notes from my Granny, dating from the time she became a homemaker in the 20s to the early 90s when she passed away, including her recipe for "grape wine" dated suspiciously during prohibition. ;)

Old 01-22-2011, 12:42 AM   #12
Head Chef

I ordered a new cook book today ( Eat what you love) by Marlen Koch recipies are all supposed to be healther. I will post about it after I review it. I saw a presentation about it on QVC but I ordered it from Amazon and saved ten dollars.

Josie

Old 01-22-2011, 08:22 AM   #13
Senior Cook

My fav is probably You-Tube &/or google search. I just want the general idea then I go from there. I have problems follow'n rules or instructions.

Also get great ideas from forums like this.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:10 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Oh--with over 1000 cookbooks, I like my Better Homes and Garden cookbook from the '50s (the same one my mom got as a wedding gift) and, my favorite Junior League cookbook is Putting on the Peach Tree from Atlanta, Georgia. I also like the Best of Bridge series and the Company is Coming series. And, the one from the Norwegian church in Montreal...and...Joy of Cooking...and I best stop now.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:52 AM   #15
Senior Cook

I use the Joy of Cooking a lot - I have both the original and the newer version, but I like the original better. I also have the Women's Day Encycolpedia of cooking set that I've have for 40 years. I've probably cornered the market on cookbooks, but I seem to use those the most.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:35 AM   #16
Head Chef

Kalliela Here is a link to the Archives where you can down a lot of all old cook books for free , Pretty intresting http://www.archive.org/search.php?qu...3Atexts&page=6

Josie
Old 01-22-2011, 12:01 PM   #17
Head Chef

Of the 50 or so in my collection, I love my old Betty Crocker and give it as a gift at bridal showers but I have to agree with all the other comments about church cook books - they really are wonderful! I also have my grandmother's recipe box that I cherish. Rachel Rays are nice for entertaining and the Moosewood is great for soups and salads.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:40 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaZ View Post
I use the Joy of Cooking a lot - I have both the original and the newer version, but I like the original better. I also have the Women's Day Encycolpedia of cooking set that I've have for 40 years. I've probably cornered the market on cookbooks, but I seem to use those the most.
Funny you should mention an encyclopedia of cooking. Those of you who have read any of my posts will not be surprized that I have a story.

When I was a teenager in Michigan, I got a set called "Better Homes and Gardens Encyclopedia of Cooking." Well...I got all but volume #15 out of the set because I got them each week at the store, and missed that week. For several years (about 15) I had the set without #15. Then one day it came in the mail! Mom had been at a garage sale back in Michigan, and found the entire set. The lady liked her story, and sold her one book (#15) out of the set to send to me. How did Mom remember that it was #15 that I needed?-That was my nunber in HS sports!

My favorite number? 15 I actually use this set quite a bit. Anyone else have this set?
Old 01-22-2011, 04:13 PM   #19
Cook

I have an encyclopedia of cooking as well, and I absolutely love it!! Unfortunately it's not the Better Homes and Garden's version. My aunt got me mine at Willams-Sonoma, and it's only one book! But, I love how I can look anything up when I need to know a technique or type of food.

I am also a sucker for easy and delicious meals, so my favorite book would have to be The Best of 30-Minute Recipes from Around the World. All the recipes are super-easy and don't require much work, but are also delicious. My favorite recipe is a Hearty Minestrone that I have featured on my blog!

Another fav. is The Sopranos cookbook... but I still have yet to tackle the more difficult recipes!
Old 01-22-2011, 09:16 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorrae View Post
I have an encyclopedia of cooking as well, and I absolutely love it!! Unfortunately it's not the Better Homes and Garden's version. My aunt got me mine at Willams-Sonoma, and it's only one book! But, I love how I can look anything up when I need to know a technique or type of food.

I am also a sucker for easy and delicious meals, so my favorite book would have to be The Best of 30-Minute Recipes from Around the World. All the recipes are super-easy and don't require much work, but are also delicious. My favorite recipe is a Hearty Minestrone that I have featured on my blog!

Another fav. is The Sopranos cookbook... but I still have yet to tackle the more difficult recipes!
Minestrone soup sounds good. I will make it soon. YUM! Thanks!

Tags
cookbook