"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-20-2011, 07:34 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

What's your favorite cookbook?

I am getting a very small collection of cookbooks, so I don't have much to choose from. But I think I like a tiny cookbook I got from the inn we stayed at on our honeymoon. Has the best recipe for corn pudding. Also, I just got the Bon Appetit cookbook, it's huge and has a lot of things I want to try!

You?

Old 01-20-2011, 07:46 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

i have so many it would be hard to choose. these days, i make a lot of food from recipes on this forum. also when i want a recipe for a specific food, i surf the net.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:41 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to garlicjosh
I have an older Betty Crocker one from the mid 70s that I am in love with.
a lot of my vegan recipes came from concept from that single cookbook and it's usually the first book I grab when looking for ideas and researching for my own recipes.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:11 AM   #4
Head Chef

I with garlicjosh- I love my bettycrocker -I also got it back in the early 70's.
I also love the cookbooks that churches and schools put out. They are great as the local people submit their recipes.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:30 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to garlicjosh
Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook View Post
I with garlicjosh- I love my bettycrocker -I also got it back in the early 70's.
I also love the cookbooks that churches and schools put out. They are great as the local people submit their recipes.

Church Cookbooks are the best!

All we really have around here is churches and bars so it's super easy every year or every other year to find a small collection of them..I've come to terms that all the great recipes I find when going through my grandmas cookbooks..all the best ones are from Churches.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:00 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Ya, amen on that! I actually attend church often and I go to a home bible study on Sunday evenings where there is a potluck every week. So, I get to make something, or try to once a week. And ya, churches can put on the potlucks! Lord knows how to provide a feast! The women at church make homemade things often, I especially like the homemade mexican dishes...yum. If ya haven't been to a church potluck...I gotta say, one may be missing out on some good eatin!
Old 01-21-2011, 07:13 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I love The Silver Spoon.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:14 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I have over 100 cookbooks, and I love each one for different reasons, but I would have to say my favorite one would be the ORIG. Betty Crocker's Picture Cookbook that my grandma had (from 1950). I got it when she passed away. The notes on the side and the recipe cards in her hand writing are priceless. She also cut out several things from magazines and newspapers and put them in. When I baked at her house I can remember using this book. Usually for cookies. It is falling apart, and some of the pages are missing. I can still smell the bread baking at Grandms's house!

On a recipe card that was stuck in the book for brining meat, my grandpa had written; Use less salt...Too much Dam Salt!
Old 01-21-2011, 07:30 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Aww, that is priceless. Sounds like a great grandma:). Passed down items are really special, I don't have any but would love a passed down cookbook for sure! I did have a grandpa that made the best strawberry pie..never did get that recipe..I may have to hit up g-ma and try to get it. If she doesn't have it..I will ask him in heaven maybe:). It was that good! Oh and I just got two church cookbooks. One is like a slow cooker one and the other emphasizes on potlucks, haven't tried any recipes in them but hopefully will find a few winners:).
Old 01-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Amazon.com: Think Like a Chef (9780307406958): Tom Colicchio: Books

I guess I think like that, because it is exactly like what I would do

Tags
cookbook