What's your Friday Fare for dinner, Feb 16th?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alix said:
I'm putting on a Safety Pin dinner at the church for the youth group tonight. I'll leave chicken caesar salad wraps for Ken and Madeleine.

Punks? Liz Hurley? I cannot imagine what a saftey pin dinner is :ermm:

I don't think I'm going to bother cooking anything tonight. Even though the storm ended two days ago, the ice around here is still terrible. Everything that melts to slush during the day is freezing up at night. What's normally a 20 minute commute for DH took him 1.5 hours last night and 2.5 hours this morning! Tonight will be just as bad, if not worse, since it's Friday. I think we'll either heat up leftovers or I'll ask him to stop and grab sandwiches or a pizza on his way home.

Safety Pin dinners are Loads of fun! it`s a bit like Roulette, a Safety pin is hidden in some food, and the 1`st one to start coughing violently Wins:LOL:

lulu said:
Punks? Liz Hurley? I cannot imagine what a saftey pin dinner is :ermm:

LMAO, please ignore YT, his safety pin dinner is NOT what I doing. The premise is that you distract the youth by telling them to bring along the biggest safety pin they can find. They are so busy concentrating on that and what it could be used for that when you present them with an encrypted menu they are a bit thrown for a loop. They are allowed to pick 2 or 3 items per course. If they are wise, they have figured out that "the devils tool" is a fork and they choose that to eat their spaghetti. Otherwise they might end up with a spoon and a napkin for one course and no food for another. Heh heh heh. I'll let you know how messy it gets.

omg Alix, I've given one of those. 12 courses, soup to nuts. We had celery and carrots on the table to use as utensils if you didn't get any with your pick.

I've never seen adults have so much fun! :ROFLMAO: They each got to pick 3 numbers for each course (4 courses in all) and that's what was at their place. You could get a spoon, cake and a piece or meat or soup, a fork and almonds. That party took a long time to organize.

Last edited:
Just like LEFSElover my boyfriend and i have yet to celebrate Valentines Day, we agreed to not use one set day to show how much we love each other.
We decided that the day we do something we would spend the whole day not at school and cooking our favorite meals.

Breakfast -
Baked Patato slices with some spice
Lemonade
Fried mixture corn and cheese

Lunch -
Grilled pear salad with rasberry vinagrette
Barbecued porkchops with home made apple sauce
Strawberry shortcake for desert
Grape juice

Supper -
Pasta in a cheese sause
Pineapple Jerk burger
Asparagus
Ice cream sundae

ROFLLLLLLLL, yt.

that sounds like fun, alix and hb.

last night i marinated (world harbors fajita marinade) and broiled some free range, organic chicken legs. unfortunately, there wasn't enough for everyone, so i wrapped them up put them in the fridge for lunch today, and we ordered take out from a steak and chops place.

we had bbq chicken, seasoned grilled pork chops, garlic mashed spuds and garlic and butter sauteed stringbeans and broccoli.

hey, wait, this is the friday thread, duh. i thought it was for yesterday.

well, tonight, i'm going to cook a coupla things, but if i time it right, i'll get dw to suggest that i pick up sushi on the way home. mwahahaha.

otherwise, i'm broiling a london broil that i've been marinating overnight in the same world harbors fajita marinade. also, i have some shrimp so i'll make a quick hot sauce for shrimp fra diavolo.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I have got it, but I suppose I am glad that old Liz and the punks get to live another day....I thought a church youth group going for choking with pins or cannablising those with bad fashion sense was a bit over judgemental!

Hope the youth like it - i am sure they will! (I have to say most youth I know would actually pierce them selves with the pin, I've got to start meeting nicer kids, lol)

lulu said:
I'm not sure I have got it, but I suppose I am glad that old Liz and the punks get to live another day....I thought a church youth group going for choking with pins or cannablising those with bad fashion sense was a bit over judgemental!

Hope the youth like it - i am sure they will! (I have to say most youth I know would actually pierce them selves with the pin, I've got to start meeting nicer kids, lol)

LMAO! lulu, even the pierced/tattooed and rebellious ones like this sort of thing. Its a good excuse to get down and dirty. LOL.

Half Baked said:
Thanks for reminding me of cake, Barb. I was going to make a one pan Lemon Wacky cake for dessert and had forgotten about it.

I b'lieve I need to know more about this item, HB. Got a recipe someplace?

This evening I am either in the mood for pizza or chinese. When I get home from my errands I will decide.

I really do not feel like cooking.

As dizzy as today got with the kids, I did manage dinner..We will soon be having chicken enchiladas, rice, a gazpacho molded salad with avocado dressing. While I finish up the girls have made a very large platter of nachos..For dessert, we're trying a baked pineapple with brown sugar,rum and butter..
kadesma:)

i cooked basa fish fillets seasoned, then combined butter, lemon & more seasoning & folded with a can of lump crabmeat ($10! $5 less than usual!). layered with fish, baked & cooked garlic potatoes. delicious!

smoked pork butt, potato salad, and PeppA heated up some corn. I got a cold dinner, as my headache got the better of me just as I was pulling the pork apart. I ended up taking an hour nap, then pigged out on pulled pork.

We had sourdough bread w/butter, fresh clam chowder topped w/crisp bacon bits, and Italian flat parsley bits and also fresh steamed clams in garlic/butter sauce finished off w/a white zin.

Supposed to have had oven baked baby back ribs but, when I went to turn the oven on, no "ON." The oven didn't want to participate in dinner preparation. Called the repairman. He'll be here tomorrow morning.

Instead, I put the ribs in the electric skillet my father gave me in 1969 (good ole skillet) and cooked the ribs long and low. Worked out pretty well. Had baked beans and homemade rolls with. "Conversation" Valentine hearts for dessert.

Need the oven for tomorrow's dinner. Hope it can be fixed by then. I have confidence it will.

Back
Top Bottom