What's your plan for your plate on Sunday, 1/15/2017?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Had to get up to work early today and ran out after 1-1/2 hours, so guess I'm going to try to go back to sleep when I'm done looking at DC.

Don't know what we'll have yet, we're kind of heavy on the vegetarian type meals this week and had meatloaf last night, so we'll probably go with 1 of the vege meals.

Have my son and his SO coming tonight. I've just marinaded two racks of lamb. I'm going to make white beans and roasted veggies with that..he is bringing his Pug. It craps all over our house every time

The Ides of January!

I'm planning a pot of Hungarian goulash to be served over egg noodles with a vegetable to be named later.

Sweet and sour beef stew, served over egg noodles. I've made this for years in a dutch oven, but it will be made in the pressure cooker tonight. Haven't decided if I'll do a veggie on the side or not. I'll have to check in with the boss and see what she wants.

Beer cheese soup with chopped-up leftover veggie tray and an onion. And an IPA. And cheese.

I made a crockpot garlic thyme chicken today. This morning I put it in the crockpot and it was done for dinner. Really simple recipe. I poured about half a cup of EVOO into the crockpot along with about 2 tbsp of dried thyme, some salt/pepper, and some rough cut fresh garlic (about 10 cloves), then I quartered about 6 large potatoes and put them in skin and all. They are lighter potatoes (not russets).

Then I sort of stirred it all up to coat the potatoes. Then I put in some chicken breasts into the crockpot and moved them around to coat them with the EVOO and then I put them atop the potatoes. Then I used a spoon to scoop up the EVOO mixture and poured some on top of the chicken making sure there were a few cloves of garlic on to of each of the chicken pieces. Then I sprinkled some more thyme on top of the chicken, a little salt/pepper. Then I left it alone for 8 hours on low.

When I was plating it, I topped the chicken with some parmesan-regiano grated cheese. It came out great. Maybe next time I will put the EVOO, garlic, thyme, salt, pepper mix in a bowl to make it easier to coat the potatoes and chicken.

The recipe is online under "garlic chicken parmesan in slow cooker". She did hers, though, with bone in chicken thighs and she seared them before putting them in. I just put the raw chicken breast cutlets right into the crockpot, so I made it simpler. Also, I didn't have any parsley.

My thyme seasoning is a dollar store generic. I need to get some decent seasonings, but it still came out great. If I had any, I would've added some carrots into the crockpot too. I served it with a side of green beans for our vegetables, and some Italian bread.

Last edited:
We ended up making soup. Ingredients were leftover/frozen butternut squash puree and sweet potatoes. Fresh ingredients were onions, garlic, ginger, tart apple and carrots. Spices were chipotle in adobo plus dry spices of cumin, coriander, paprika, and a touch each of cinnamon and nutmeg. You zap it with the immersion blender or in a regular blender once everything is cooked. The soup can be vegan/vegetarian if you use vege broth, but I used chicken. Garnishes were smoked gouda and chaurice (homemade sort of chorizo). Craig keeps going back so he must really like it. I thought it was pretty good. Homemade pumpernickel on the side. That was from the freezer too.

37240-albums1041-picture6830.jpg

Yucky Weather Calls For SOUP!!

We've had the yuckiest weather for the past WEEK!!!
SOUP!
Caldo Verde, MMM!
So simple and very satisfying.
My Portuguese heritage is from The Azores, so we go for "Hawaiian" Portuguese Bean Soup. This was just as good, and easier to boot!
Diamond Bakery Soda Crackers in the side... thank you dear SIL for the care package from home.

<edit - I forgot to add that I augmented the recipe and added Cannalini Beans, carrots and celery to better fill that manly tummy called DH, HA!>

Last edited:
We've had the yuckiest weather for the past WEEK!!!
SOUP!
Caldo Verde, MMM!
So simple and very satisfying.
My Portuguese heritage is from The Azores, so we go for "Hawaiian" Portuguese Bean Soup. This was just as good, and easier to boot!
Diamond Bakery Soda Crackers in the side... thank you dear SIL for the care package from home.

<edit - I forgot to add that I augmented the recipe and added Cannalini Beans, carrots and celery to better fill that manly tummy called DH, HA!>

Sounds great. My stepdad is Portuguese in heritage (his grandparents came to the USA). He loves Sopas. My mom learned how to make it for him. Ever make Sopas?

I tired myself out baking a honey-orange cake in my beautiful new honeycomb pan this afternoon (will post in the baking thread), and my arthritic knee started acting up, so DH took over making dinner :clap: :wub:

He made baked Alaskan pollock with Penzeys Fox Point seasoning, au gratin potatoes (from a box of Omaha Steaks, etc., my dad gave us for Christmas; just needed heating) and green beans simmered with Fox Point. It was delicious :yum:

Attachments

• 1484530005229.jpg
    1484530005229.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 139
Made chicken soup yesterday and today it was so nice and gelatinous. So dinner was a replay of last night. Chicken soup over brown rice topped with fresh grated Parmesan and Romano cheeses.

Sounds great. My stepdad is Portuguese in heritage (his grandparents came to the USA). He loves Sopas. My mom learned how to make it for him. Ever make Sopas?

Sadly no, I wasn't raised on Portuguese food, but rather more, "Local-Hawaiian style" foods, many different cultures melded together.
My great grandfather came to Hawaii with his bride to work the Sugar Plantation and raise his brood of 12.
All the different folks from all around the world learned to co-habitat by sharing food, therefor many dishes morphed into something unique... the original fusion foods.

I had planned on fish for yesterday...until that rotisserie chicken hopped into my cart. :ermm: :LOL: Thankfully, the fish had been shipped in on Saturday, so I figured one day's wait would do no harm. Boy, was it good! :yum:

We started with salads: mixed greens, Kalamata olives, mushrooms, baby cherry tomatoes, hard-cooked egg, French feta cheese and toasted walnuts. Next, I broiled Dover sole fillets, then topped them with a lemon butter/caper sauce.Sides were brown Basmati rice and steamed broccoli.

Attachments

• 2017-01-15 19.43.32.jpg
    2017-01-15 19.43.32.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 154
  • 2017-01-15 20.13.58.jpg
    2017-01-15 20.13.58.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 154
Everybody's dinner looked and sounded great last night.

Rock that baby needs to be taken back outside and walked throughly after it comes in and greets everybody. Unfortunately though, especially if it's a black boy pug, they seem to not have much control over things coming out as a general rule. Both of my little black pug boys have had that issue. We just try to avoid that by keeping a fairly strict feeding/potty schedule.

Rock that baby needs to be taken back outside and walked thoroughly after it comes in and greets everybody. Unfortunately though, especially if it's a black boy pug, they seem to not have much control over things coming out as a general rule. Both of my little black pug boys have had that issue. We just try to avoid that by keeping a fairly strict feeding/potty schedule.
Well, as it turns out, they didn't come, although he is doing much better when he visits. Now, if we can just get him to stop chewing my stairs...yes..he chewed my wooden stairs...of all things...:wacko:

Well, as it turns out, they didn't come, although he is doing much better when he visits. Now, if we can just get him to stop chewing my stairs...yes..he chewed my wooden stairs...of all things...:wacko:

Maybe they should bring, or you can buy, a crate to contain the dog while they're visiting. There's no reason why you should put up with property damage over and over. Some pig ears might help with that chewing thing ;)

Last edited:
Extremely busy night at work last night. The problems began during 60 Minutes and wasn't finally resolved until Let's Make a Deal this morning.
Anyway, I was only able to pick up something fast between issues, so I got Burger King. I haven't had BK in so long.

To be honest it was good, especially for just $4.

I finished my fourth day of mushroom soup and ice cream (tooth extraction).

TB got his own meal - Italian sausages, nuked potato and raw veggies! Isn't exactly how I would have made it but he was happy and I was glad for the break!

Back
Top Bottom