What's Your Signature Dish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess the Double Chocolate Gooey Butter Cake is the most requested thing I fix for dinners with friends. Killer Baked Beans, Spicy Carolina Slaw and 7 Layer salad are other big hits.

My family's favorites are my fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy; chicken and dumplings; sausage and noodles; Texas More...and spaghetti.

ChefJune said:
Mine has to be Falafel-Crusted Salmon on a bed of Spinach. .

oh man, i can almost taste that. i love but get bored with salmon, so the falafel crust (from a mix? for shame :chef: ...) sounds like a winner.

thanks chefjune.

and if i ever eat at connie's, i'll die from bloating and gas... with a full belly and huge, chocolatey smile on my face. have you posted the bean and slaw recipes? tia.

Last edited:
Mine is chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and gravy. My family always begs me to make this everytime they are around and my husbands has to have it at least once a week.

Ooh, the gumbo reminded me... I put together a very good recipe for shrimp etouffee from a few different ones on recipesource. I'll have to post that one.

My signature dish is beef enchiladas with a multi-pepper sauce including: dried chipotle, ancho and New Mexican peppers along with roasted poblanos. Roasted onions, garlic and tomatoes topped with a blend of Mexican cheeses. This is what they look like (not the actual picture of my dish).

BuckyTom, my motto is, "Feed'em up and love'em up." Nobody leaves my house without a full tummy and a hug.
But come prepared to pitch in. I can't do everything by myself anymore, so I provide my guests drinks and and hors d'ouevres, and put them to work. No one seems to mind, in fact I think we have more fun than we used to when I did it all.
I have posted the bean and slaw recipes...the slaw is under "North Carolina Slaw" I think. If you can't find them, give me a holler, and I'll post them again.

Dina said:
My signature dish is beef enchiladas with a multi-pepper sauce including: dried chipotle, ancho and New Mexican peppers along with roasted poblanos. Roasted onions, garlic and tomatoes topped with a blend of Mexican cheeses. This is what they look like (not the actual picture of my dish).

Dina:

Would you like to share your recipe?

when i have friends for dinner, what i usually cook depends on the number of people who come...if around 4, i make an aubergine parmigiana (similar to amber's dish only i don't bread my aubergines)...if more than that, i either make a spanish paella or a baked macaroni which is like lasagna only i use macaroni shells and i pour bechamel sauce on top a la moussaka before top-layering with cheese.

thanks connie. goin' to fetch them for print now.

{{hugs} }for just reminding me of my "adopted" grandparents.
i never knew any of my grandparents, but i treated my first serious, longterm girlfriend's sicillian-callabrian grandparents as my own; loved and was loved as such. if they didn't pass away from old age, i'd probably still be dating her. (she was a p.i.t.a. :cool: )...only kidding.

anyway, on our annual trips to florida to visit them, the very first thing i did on the day we arrived was work around the yard, especially any heavy work.
i learned a lot about the flora and fauna (are giant, man-eating swarms of bugs considered fauna? let alone the snakes, lizards, and other cold blooded creatures - like the neighbors...:) ) of the west coast of florida.

and st. augustine grass whacks back when using an egder/weed whacker while wearing shorts.

and never stand under a palm when removing old growth. lots of things come juming, flying, and swinging out, down your neck and back, and into your ears. :(

but then, everyday was fillled with the most amazingly great food and great times.

if grandpa louie and i got up at 4am to go crabbing or fishing, my grandma celina would be up at 3, making incredible evoo fried pepper, egg, and potato sandwiches for our trip.

then we'd return home with the catch o' the day, and the gf and i would head to the beach, basket prepared be you know who, containing the most perfect sandwiches of salume, cheeses, and pickled or roasted veggies and the ubiquitous tomatoes and onions, between sliced homemade ciabatta drenched in vinegar, evoo, and herbs. we got tan, and fat. what a life!

one day when we sat near the high tide line, some locals tried to push me back in the water in efforts to save me. my mouth was so full, all i could manage was something that sounded like weak whale-song...:)

seriously tho, the best part of the day was in the evening, when we'd shower up from the beach, and i'd meet grandpa louie in the backyard to recieve instructions for the next day's work. we'd share a plate of anchovies or pickled herring, semolina bread, buffala mozz, roasted peppers, and homemade red vino for me, scotch for him. i can still see him stirring his scotch on the rocks with his index finger, then making jokes about how it too was pickled.

then the festa began. celina had cooked our catch to perfection. my favourite was her our fresh blueclaw crabs in garlic-herb tomato sauce.
no perfect a use of tomatoes could there have been.
we'd sit around the table with giant bowls of angel hair pasta seperating our gazes. that's a good thing, because if you've ever eaten blue claws in sauce, breaking open the shells and sucking out the sweet meat, you end up being covered from ear to ear in red sauce.

those were really great times.

thanks for the trip down memory lane, connie.

Baked Squash

I am required to bring baked butternut squash to an annual Christmas pot luck. Sorry, no recipe, just some guidelines and ingredients list.

Choose the butternut squashes carefully, I go by color. If you are able to compare the butternuts, look for the ones that have the deepest golden color, not yellow or greenish. Cut a few in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Place cut side down in baking dishes, I use 9x13 inch glass pans, add a bit of water to the pans. Bake at 350 degrees F, until soft, maybe up to one hour. Scoop out hot flesh into a bowl, stir in some real butter, some maple syrup and a bit of a nice cinnamon, say a cassia, Vietnamese or Ceylon cinnamon. Stir until mixed, turn into a pretty bowl, and dust with more cinnamon.

baked squash, about 2 quarts
butter, maybe 4 Tablespoons, or more
maple syrup, maybe 2 Tablespoons
cinnamon, about 1/4 teaspon in the squash and 1/4 t. sprinkled on top.

When ready to transport, I heat in the microwave to get it really hot and wrap in newspapers, then place in a cardboard box. If needed, I reheat at the party.

Dina said:

I love homemade beef enchiladas and make good ones but the ingredients in yours sound fantastic. Please post the recipe because this is one I have to try. Thanks.

If you can't find the peppers I listed, stick with southern peppers to make authentic Mexican enchiladas. Sometimes I even add a dried "pasilla" pepper (looks similar to the ancho) for added color and flavor to the sauce. Experiment with the sauce and feel free to add or substitute other peppers. Hope you enjoy the enchiladas.

stews and braises are my signature. be it a classic beef Burgundy, or a Ligurian rabbit stew, or perhaps a pot roast with wine and marjoram, or a lamb chili with cashews...If I can do it over time in a dutch oven or lidded casserole, I'm happiest...perhaps because in a small kitchen I can get everything to the table hot that way, perhaps because the whole house smells so good, or just because I grew up with using every scrap and bit and wasting nothing.

Back
Top Bottom