What's Your Signature Dish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ironchef

Executive Chef
Awhile back, we had an interesting thread about what was your cooking specialty. Here's the link here if anyone wants to add to that thread. This is more about a type of cuisine, rather than any one dish:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/so-whats-your-specialty-8332.html?highlight=specialty

For this thread, I'm asking what is your signature dish. What is that one dish that everyone associates you with, that one dish that you've taken to every restaurant you've worked in, that one dish that anyone who knows you asks you to make. If you have a picture of it, please, please post it because everyone loves to see pictures of food. I'll start with my own. I'm cheating a bit because it's actually a combination of two dishes, but hey. My signature dish(es) are: a Scallion and Wakame Crusted Ahi Tempura served with a Ponzu Beurre Blanc, and a Miso-Glazed Hamachi (or Kanpachi) served with an Orange-Ginger-Scallion Vinaigrette, finished with Shiso Oil, topped with a Citrus-Truffle Pea Shoot Salad.

I'd have to say mine would be my Chocolate Raspberry torte. Ken took a picture of it but the camera is a bit hooped (got dropped!) and I can't download it yet so here is a sample of what it looks like. Just picture a whole cake like this.

Attachments

• ChocRaspTorte.jpg
    ChocRaspTorte.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
Mine isn't nearly as elegant. But it is light, fluffy, has an amazing texture, and is loved by everyone who has tried it. I'm speaking of course of Goodweed's "Worlds Best Panckakes" recipe. It's closely followed by the barbecue turkey though, and we already have a picture of that under teh pictues section of DC.

Oh, by the say, Ironchef, your recipe looks amazing. And I'm sure that after reading the ingredients, it must taste as good as it looks.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Well, I'm certainly not going to say mac and cheese in a 9 x 13 pan after these posts.............

hafta go look for that picture I posted of the Killer Cheesecake.

Vietnamese eggrolls. I learned to make them from a Viet immigrant while I was in high school... MAN are they good. Made them for just about everyone at Iowa State while I was there. Ironically, people still identify me with that, but I haven't made them in years.

I love eggrolls. Care to share your recipe? If so, can you put it in the ethnic forum please?

My "signature" dish is nothing special, but I love it. I bread and fry eggplant and then layer it like lasagna with fresh sliced tomatoes, hard salami, and mozzarella cheese.

Every time we have a family reunion, gathering or whatever, they want me to bring a "Chicken and Green Chile Enchilada casserole". Not pretty, just tasty.

Mudbug, I want the recipe for that cheesecake...purty please...

Well, of course, darlin'

I predict that you will rise up and call me blessed when you eat this:

2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs (chocolate graham crackers are fine)
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter, melted
three 8-oz packages cream cheese softened
1-1/4 cups sugar
4 large eggs
one 8-oz carton sour cream
1 T vanilla extract
1/4 cup butter
1 cup (6 oz) semisweet choc chips
12-oz jar caramel topping
1 cup chopped toasted pecans

Combine first 3 ingredients, stir well. Firmly press mixture on bottom and 1 inch up sides of lightly greased 9-in springform pan. Bake at 325 for 10 minutes. Cool in pan on wire rack.

Beat chream cheese at medium speed of an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add 1-1/4 cups sugar, beating well. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping sides and bottom, as needed (this part is impo'tant--mud). Sire in sour cream and vanilla. Pour batter into prepared crust and bake at 325 for 1 hour 5 minutes. The center will not be completely set. Turn oven off and partially open oven door (I stick a wooden spoon in the door and "close"-mud). Leave cheesecake in oven 1 hour, then remove to wire rack to cool completely. Cover and chill for at least 8 hours. Carefully release from pan and transfer cheesecake to serving plate.

Now for the killer part!

Melt 1/4 cup butter in small heavy saucepan and add chocolate morsels. Stir over low heat just until chocolate melts and mixture blends. Spread warm chocolate over cheesecake and chill 15 minutes.

Combine caramel topping and pecans in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, over medium heat. Boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat and cool 5 minutes. Spread over chocolate, cool completely. Serve immediately, or cover and chill.[/i]

Note: Billy, ignore the chocolate chips part and produce a nice ganache instead. I've been thinking about it and the chips covering just gets too hard to cut through if your cheesecake lasts longer than the first occasion for serving it.

NOW I WANT THE CHICKIE/GREEN CHILI RECIPE......

Mine by no means unique, is homemade ravioli and homemade meat sauce with imported mushrooms. My mother and my mother-in-law, were the ones who started this and it's now a family tradition come Christmas,Easter and Thanksgiving.

kadesma:)

Mine has to be Falafel-Crusted Salmon on a bed of Spinach. whether I like it or not! Its my most requested dish from my catering days, and is one of the most popular for my cooking class parties. Easy and impressive, and just darn good!

I have a great picture but I don't know how to post pictures. You can, however see a picture of it here. Just scroll about half-way down the page.

I have to say it's a tie between my spaghetti with meat sauce (and the killer meatballs) and Louisiana Gumbo. I tweaked a gumbo recipe to perfection and my family can't get enough.

kadesma said:
Mine by no means unique, is homemade ravioli and homemade meat sauce with imported mushrooms. My mother and my mother-in-law, were the ones who started this and it's now a family tradition come Christmas,Easter and Thanksgiving.

There are few things that appeal to me more than homemade ravioli and meat sauce with mushrooms. Looks like you came up with a couple of winners.

Drama Queen said:
There are few things that appeal to me more than homemade ravioli and meat sauce with mushrooms. Looks like you came up with a couple of winners.
Thanks Drama Queen,
While I'd like to take the credit, I have to tell you that my mother-in-law, was the one who introduced me to real homemade raviloi's years ago. She mainly cooked meals from her childhood after learning from her mother and her Noni (grandmother).I learned from her.It's something I'm glad I did, my DH loved the meals his mom made and this way can return to back then on special holidays..My kids love this meal to and the girls are now able to get in and make the whole thing, rav's and sauce themselves..:) Time marches on, and the recipe is going with it, into the future.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom